RV ladder issue

mstarke

Someone had posted that he has trouble with the RV ladder rungs being weak and cracking the plastic outside clip. I too have had that happen and when I checked it out I realized it is not made with the highest degree of quality. The chance of this failing under weight is quite frankly scarry. I went to Home Depot and purchased 14 hose clamps 1-1/4 in size and attached one to the underside of each step. Make sure the screw portion is below the inside of each step. These are made of stainless steel and cost approx. $1.00 each. The clamp adds more rigidity to each step and gives some extra peace of mind.

Mark

rgwilliams69

I don't even carry my Cyclone ladder any more. Keep one of these in the garage. Small and easy to store, but strong and sturdy when you need to get on top for something (or anywhere else for that matter). If you have the room to take one I would definitely recommend it.

MTPockets

I've had a total of 7 of those plastic end pieces break. My Big Horn was built in October, 2011 and the first ends broke within a few months which Heartland replaced N/C. The last ones were discovered two months past the one year warranty and I had buy the replacements from Heartland at about $7.00 each. Since then, I have contacted Atwood, the manufacturer, who is sending me enough ends for the entire ladder at N/C. They also have stated the breakage is sporadic and even if it does crack, there is no danger of the ladder failing. I have that in writing from them. I've heard of others who have also been sent a supply of end pieces, so contact Atwood if you need some, or Heartland if you're still in warranty. In addition to the end caps, I felt the ladder stand-off supports were too flimsey as they sagged every time I got on the ladder (230 lbs). I ordered an extra set of the stand-offs and installed them and the ladder is much more solid now. I may do the Hose Clamp thing, but didn't like the way it looked. Maybe an 'L' bracket under each step end?

danemayer

hose clamps 1-1/4 in size and attached one to the underside of each step
I did the same thing but also used cut-to-size gasket material under the clamps to increase the friction. No more issues with the plastic endcaps.

My standoffs have started sagging and loosening. I've worked on tightening them up but also cut a couple of 2x4s with notches in one end. I capture the bottom standoff with the notch and wedge the other end of the 2x4 against the ground. My weight is then carried by the 2x4s instead of the standoffs.

When we're in ski country, you never know how frequently you'll be on the roof clearing snow. 2 years ago it was twice a day for the first week we were here.

hoefler

I don't even carry my Cyclone ladder any more. Keep one of these in the garage. Small and easy to store, but strong and sturdy when you need to get on top for something (or anywhere else for that matter). If you have the room to take one I would definitely recommend it.

I removed my ladder from our Landmark for this very reason. And have the same ladder in the basement for when ever the need to get on top.