ATF: North Trail - Manual Slide Operation

Marie

Just brought home our 2013 NT22FBS and we cannot locate the slide motor- we would like to be able to manually operate the slide in case of battery failure. Can you tell me where it is located?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Our 2011 / 21fbs has the slide motor mounted above the slide, in towards the middle. With the slide in, you can stand at one end of the slide and see it. (Assuming they are still putting them in the same place)

ScubaDan

We have a 2010 North Trail RLS. Slide motor is in the middle at the top, but we can not figure out how to move it manually. We have a hex drive on a flexible extension, but there is no obvious panel to remove or other way to access the motor.
Can someone PLEASE advise how to do this?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
DaninPA... Not positive, but I think you have to take off the top front facia piece. Maybe someone who has actually done this will chime in.

danemayer

We have a 2010 North Trail RLS. Slide motor is in the middle at the top, but we can not figure out how to move it manually. We have a hex drive on a flexible extension, but there is no obvious panel to remove or other way to access the motor.
Can someone PLEASE advise how to do this?
DaninPA,

I'm not sure if you're saying that you can't see the motor, or that you can't see where the hex drive goes.

I'm not familiar with North Trail slide motors, but if you can see the back of the motor, the hex slot might be covered by a label that needs to be peeled back.

Here's a picture of a Lippert Hydraulic motor. The hex opening is under the center circle on the label. Maybe yours is similar.
Hydraulic Motor.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
On the side opposite the slide should be a hole in the lower fascia that is the access for manually operating the slide.

ScubaDan

Thanks to all who replied. I can see the motor on top of the slide, it's behind the upper facia, right over the sink. It makes sense that the hex tool that was supplied goes into the motor, I just am not looking forward to removing the facia. I tried unscrewing all the visible screws, but the part over the fridge and each end seem to still be fastened somehow.
As soon as it stops raining I'm going to check outside on the opposite side to see if our unit might have the manual fitting there. If so, that could be easier. Our rig looks just like the picture of Silverado23. Thanks again!

ScubaDan

We have a 2010 North Trail 28RLS. Our slide is not the same as the one Silverado23 has. Ours has the electric motor on top of the slide over the kitchen sink. I checked outside by steps and also on slide side. No other manual crank attachments there. There is no frame extending outside, the slide moves on rollers by being pulled by wires through pulleys.

It looks like we need to remove the upper facia, I just was hoping I could avoid doing this because it runs the whole length of the slide, and I have to remove the shelf above the fridge also to get it off.

I hope if Heartland continues installing these types of slides that they would design a small section of the facia to be removable so this is easier. There is actually a square decorative piece where two sections of facia come together right at this location. I may try to revise this to make it removable.
Thanks again for all the replies! This forum has helped us with several problems and improvement ideas.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You may want to check the heartland manuals on the slideouts. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/35969-ATF-North-Trail-Manual-Slide-Operation. There is an accuslide manual that shows an overhead motor and pulley system for your slide. it also indicates that there should be a 1/4" flexible shaft included with the owners packet that is used for the manual operation of the slide. It may give you a clue where to look for an access hole to operate your slide.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jut a thought here.
If you need to manually operate your slide, then most likely there is a problem with the motor.
So what's the difference if the fascia is removed at that point if the motor needs to be accessed anyway.

Peace
Dave

I have a New 2013 Northtrail 22FBS that has the cable operated slideout dinette.I wanted to know how to operate the slideout manually. I have called the factory and talked to a girl in Customer Service and got no help at all from her.I then called the Dealer and he gave me info that was useless to! I was given the flex tool when I got the trailer.When asked what it did the Salesman says it is used to manaully operate the slideout if the motor fails.This tool is NOT used in the cable operated slides.I finally took a stool and looked up on top of the slide when it was retracted in and the reason the front wooden fascia plate has no screws in it, is its affixed permanently.The motor that drives the cables is attached to the back upper wall of the slide.No way to access it unless you remove the top section of the slide. Poor design and hope anyones slide doesn't have a problem. Now the question is- HOW TO MOVE THE SLIDE MANAULLY ?????? This will be the question of the week as no one else can answer it. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 NT24RSB the slide motor is on the bottom with access under the couch. The tool is a flex shaft with a square driver bit attached to be used in a electric drill. This is the same size as used on all the screws in the camper. The tool should have come with your unit. If not call Heartland, I did not have one called and they sent on out in less than a week. Now how to retract the Carefree awning in case of motor failure.

danemayer

Hi HappyCamper57,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing.

danemayer

I have a New 2013 Northtrail 22FBS that has the cable operated slideout dinette.I wanted to know how to operate the slideout manually. I have called the factory and talked to a girl in Customer Service and got no help at all from her.I then called the Dealer and he gave me info that was useless to! I was given the flex tool when I got the trailer.When asked what it did the Salesman says it is used to manaully operate the slideout if the motor fails.This tool is NOT used in the cable operated slides.I finally took a stool and looked up on top of the slide when it was retracted in and the reason the front wooden fascia plate has no screws in it, is its affixed permanently.The motor that drives the cables is attached to the back upper wall of the slide.No way to access it unless you remove the top section of the slide. Poor design and hope anyones slide doesn't have a problem. Now the question is- HOW TO MOVE THE SLIDE MANAULLY ?????? This will be the question of the week as no one else can answer it. Thanks in advance.
Hi PolarisPete,

Let me suggest you call Heartland again and this time ask to speak with the North Trail Brand Manager. He/she ought to be able to get someone who can provide the answer for you.

Mhitesman

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same model. The dealer kept the tool though (salesman) saying the tech left it behind. Tech says I should use an electric drill and ask heartland where the access is. Manuals do not appear to.be for my trailer.
It's