Actual Weight?

DTucker

The mfg. tag says my Heartland Grand Canyon weighs about 13,200 lbs but I weighed in on CAT scales and it was close to 16K. Could that be right? There is no way I had around 2,500 lbs extra weight.

MCTalley

I assume you've previously weighed your truck separately, then re-weighed with the trailer hitched up and came up with a 16K difference?

danemayer

You didn't mention whether you had any water in your tanks, but your fresh and holding tanks can hold about 2000 pounds of water. Full propane tanks hold 80 pounds of propane.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What is considered 'close to 16k'?
My Bighorn empty weighs 12,620. loaded it is 14,775.
So that is 2155 #'s of weight added.
If you are similarly loaded your weight would be 15,335.
Is that considered close to 16k?

Peace
Dave

DTucker

The truck was weighed separate; and my tanks were empty. If I remember correctly the trailer was about 15,800 total. Does the weight sticker include all of the options that I ordered?

dbbls59

I don't think the manufactures weight includes options. These can add up to several hundred pounds.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The yellow sticker on the door jamb reflects the weight of the rig as it leaves the factory.

Peace
Dave

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Don't trust the stickers in my opinion. It could easily be wrong.

My 2012 300C had a GVWR of 14,000 and empty weight of 11,900lbs according to the sticker. It was wrong. Now that I have gotten a new sticker my GVWR of 16,000lb and empty weight of 12,xxxlbs. Still not sure why the empty weight would have changed just from correcting the GVWR.

I have been told on here that each unit is weighed as they roll out. Though I am skeptical that the weighed weight value makes it to the computer that prints the labels.

One of these days I am going to go up to CW and compare empty weights on the same models. Hoping they have different options to alter the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Don, Are you talking EMPTY weight? No personal effects or liquids in the trailer whatsoever?

If your weight was taken as you were ready for a trip, with all your everyday stuff in the trailer, being near 16K is probably pretty close. You'd be surprised how fast things add up.

dave10a

My trailer and truck are close to what the manufacturers claim. That is why I could use a SRW to pull a Landmark safely and within their specs-- albit I am near maxed out on the truck.

porthole

Retired
The mfg. tag says my Heartland Grand Canyon weighs about 13,200 lbs but I weighed in on CAT scales and it was close to 16K. Could that be right? There is no way I had around 2,500 lbs extra weight.

Not that far fetched. Even if you drained your tanks you might have at least 20 or so gallons remaining amongst them, plus 10 gallons in the water heater. That is 250 pounds right there.

Don't trust the stickers in my opinion. It could easily be wrong.
Now that I have gotten a new sticker my GVWR of 16,000lb and empty weight of 12,xxxlbs. Still not sure why the empty weight would have changed just from correcting the GVWR.

Since they couldn't re-weigh your trailer there might have been some estimation going on there.

brianharrison

My 2011 Grand Canyon weighs in at near 15,000# with waste/grey tanks drained and about 1/3 fresh water; 3,000 on pin and 12,000 on axles. This is with most of our stuff in it, but not loaded for holidays - ie without the 48 beer, case of wine, etc.

If you want more detailed weights/actual number on my door sticker to compare, shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps.
Brian

dave10a

If the weights are misrepresented by the Mfg, it should be reported to the Feds. They would be interested in that.

TireHobby

In the reference provided below scroll down to paragraph S10. Those rules were part of the overall rules change that became law in early 2007. There have been numerous recalls for bad cargo information depicted on trailers cargo information placards. If there is a great disparity between actual weights and placard figures you should report your findings to the NHTSA.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.120

TireHobby