Inverter Power sometimes Trips GFI

wdk450

Gang:
I installed a large 1500/3000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and upped my battery bank to 4 in preparation of adding a large solar panel. I gave the inverter system a good late night/early morning workout boondocking on the desert in Quartzsite, and running my generator during the day to recharge the batteries. What happened several times I went on inverter power is that the GFI in the bathroom tripped and could not be reset on GFI power. Going to generator power allowed me to reset the GFI. Has anyone else seen this.

I bought a 50 amp Electrical management box at the Quartzsite RV show, and noticed a sign at their booth saying NOT to run inverter power through the EMS. I e-mailed them to verify this. I guess I will install a 50 amp transfer relay between the EMS and the breaker box. The relay will tie the 2 legs together when using inverter power, and feed the normal 2 phase and neutral from the EMS when on shore/generator power.

Does this sound O.K. - Any suggestions?

porthole

Retired
Are you referring to the Progressive EMS?

I have the P- EMS 50. My manual said nothing about inverters.

I tried an inverter with the trailer during the Sandy mess that was here. Worked OK and then a day later I had no power in the couch - and a warm, filled with food fridge.

The EMS had failed, as it was designed too (and parts replaced under the lifetime warranty)

I did not get an expatiation as to why an inverter is not to be used, but I did see the result.

So at least for inverter use, it will have to be installed post EMS protection.

For me I'm thinking about another auto transfer switch, after the EMS with EMS supply on the B side and inverter supply on the A side.

Of course that idea makes my current inverter an overpriced Inverter/battery charger.

DougS

Doug S
wdk450,
From your discription, sounds like you wired your whole RV with the inverter, which is what I did. I run my inverter with the water heater and refrig. on propane. I also had to install a switch to shut off the converter during inverter operation. My inverter is 80 amp. and the inverter is only good for 65 amp. I did have a GFI pop on me when I forgot to shut the converter off.

I also do not run my inverter thru the EMS protection, this is done thru transfer switches.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
I had an pure sinewave inverter & solar panel/regulator installed on our last rig. Also installed was an automatic switch-over relay to isolate the electrical sources. (shore power, generator, inverter) Even with all that safety I still had to pull (de-energize) the circuit breakers for the converter if I elected to use the inverter. The generator and/or shore power were not in use or connected at that time. I was informed that this must be done due to the fact that the power source for both those units (inverter & converter) were the batteries. Both those units were trying to charge the batteries and use them as a power source at the same time.

brianharrison

What happened several times I went on inverter power is that the GFI in the bathroom tripped and could not be reset on GFI power. Going to generator power allowed me to reset the GFI. Has anyone else seen this.
I have not seen this but have heard of people having problems with GFCIs and "noise". Switching to Inverter power may cause this whether it is surge/noise. Don't really know but it is a lead you can google. Here is one thread I found on another forum.

Xantrex (my inverter) goes to the extent of recommeding specific GFCIs that have been tested with power fed from the inverter.
Table 1​
Tested GFCI Models
Manufacturer Model Number​
Hubbell GFR5252WA
Leviton 8599-GY​
Pass & Seymour 1594-W

Link here --> Page 13 Xantrex Freedom SW3000 Insallation Manual.

I bought a 50 amp Electrical management box at the Quartzsite RV show, and noticed a sign at their booth saying NOT to run inverter power through the EMS. I e-mailed them to verify this.
I would be interested in what others find out about this - I think it may be due to AC quality - ie frequency, voltage, surge, etc? Did you get your response from a tech at Progressive? Did they provide any technical explanation or just "no". I wonder about the shore power AC Neutral/Ground bond and the Inverter ability to do/not do the bond? Hmmmm.

You did not say the brand/model of your new inverter ie whether is it a high frequency or transformer based --> Here is a quick description of the two from Xantrex. I am not sure if EMS's are affected by one or the other or both.

Interesting topic.

Brian

Last edited: