Elkridge- PDI Question

Buckeye

We purchased a 2013 Elkridge last week and will be doing the PDI on Friday of this week. Any suggestions on what we should look for? It has already been winterized but I told them I wanted to see the water and heater system in operation and then they can show me the proper way to winterize. (Having just retired from being a pilot for 46 years I tend to be a little anal about things.) Thanks, Murph

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be as anal as you want, it's your rig, and it's better to catch anything that doesn't work correctly before you drive away. You may want to take a video camera, to use as a refresher if you forget something. Take your significant other as well to the PDI, it's best to have two heads remembering things than one.

There are not as many ElkRidge owners that frequent the forum, but hopefully someone will chime in with a recent experience.

Our PDI was pretty rushed due to close to closing time, and a bad storm hitting at the same time.... we had TT experience, so we mainly focused on what was different with a 5ver.

From what I've seen from others posting of their PDI experiences, be sure to check behind the basement wall for leaks.... on our rig there was a 2x2 covered opening to let you get to the pump and winterizing valves (since they were not in the UDC, like the bigger 5vers). Make sure the furnace and AC work appropriately, check that there is adequate air coming out at the right temp of each vent.
Make sure slides go in and out smoothly multiple times. Check that the seals are working as they should (flipping out as the slide moves out). Make sure they show you how to hitch and unhitch, and then let you do it, yourself. (we didn't get enough info on this!)

I believe there is a checklist on the forum that may help also.

Erika

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I second what Ericka said about checking behind the basement wall. Our PDI was well done by the dealer but I forgot to ask about the access to the winterizing area. I did have another 5th wheel for 9 years before this so was well versed in most questions that may arise. The first time I wanted to get water from the outside shower hose none came out. I had to find the access port and found a kink in the shower hose inside by the hot water tank. I was lucky that there were not leaks in any of the water connections. Take your time with the PDI and enjoy your new Elk Ridge. We thoroughly enjoy ours.

dfk009

Make an appointment for first thing when they open, or for when they return from lunch. Give them a good 3 - 4 hours of PDI time, and don't drink to much coffee before the tour. Don't leave or sign papers till ALL questions are answered, and ALL problems are corrected or parts ordered.

jbeletti

Murph,

Your getting to great feedback from owners here. Here's another one. Have your partner video tape the walk-through portion where the dealer tech/salesman shows you what everything is, every switch is for etc. In your euphoria of taking delivery, your head may be a bit in the clouds - so, easy to forget, hey, what did they say this switch it for? :) For you, a pilot, I'm sure it will be different as you are so detail oriented. Consider this your training and check-ride all in one. You'll be typed in it in no time :)

Buckeye

Thanks for all the great replies. We have an appointment for Friday morning and I told the dealer I wanted to have the Rv pulled inside. ( Too cold outside in this miserable Ohio weather- next year we are headed someplace South for Jan.-April.) My wife refuses to be away from the kids and grandkids during the Holidays. I will let you know how the PDI went. Thanks again, Murph

olcoon

We also video taped our PDI, kind of freaked out the dealer, I think possibly we got a more through PDI because of that! Another thing we did, after seeing the suggestion on here, was to check every water connection, where the line hooks up to the sink, etc. I found a few of them loose, and it'd be a good idea to check them occasionally as they'll work loose. I went through the entire rig checking fittings, screws, etc. If nothing else it was a good way to become familiar with it. Like Erika said our's has a 2x2 cutout on the bulkhead in the basement to access the water pump area to winterize. I've found that it's easier to just unscrew the 2 screws & pull slide the entire bulkhead out. Gives me more room & it's easier. One more thing, we had a problem with a leak in the basement on the off door side. Dealt me a fit for quite a while because it only happened occasionally. It was so bad had to use a wet vac! Finally traced it down to the outside shower. It seemed that no matter how tight I'd tighten the knobs they would somehow loosen, & then the lever on the shower head would get pressed & locked in the on position. I finally bought some valves & installed them on the back of the UDC & leave them turned off as we don't use the outside shower. If we would want to use it in the future, it'd be easy to turn them on.

Buckeye

The PDI went well today. Only a few minor problems. The furnace wouldn't come on and they found a switch on the furnace unit that was turned off so that was a simple fix. They are going to complete the installation of the three slide awnings and we will pick it up the middle of this month before we head down to SC. This new Elkridge is lot BIGGER than my old 29Ft Cougar- it will take some time to get used to. Thanks everyone for your help.

TravelTiger

Congrats Buckeye! Glad it went well. Make sure you post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The PDI went well today. Only a few minor problems. The furnace wouldn't come on and they found a switch on the furnace unit that was turned off so that was a simple fix. They are going to complete the installation of the three slide awnings and we will pick it up the middle of this month before we head down to SC. This new Elkridge is lot BIGGER than my old 29Ft Cougar- it will take some time to get used to. Thanks everyone for your help.

Buckeye, I am glad that your PDI went well. Enjoy your new coach and hope you can get out and use it soon.

Buckeye

One thing I forgot to ask on the PDI- I know that the AC has a filter that needs to be cleaned periodically- does the furnace have one as well ? Also I failed to check if there were level indicators on the outside of the Rv- I assume they come with it. I will have to check it when I pick up the fifth wheel next week. I know my old Cougar has them. I was also surprised to find that this RV has only one 12 volt battery. I will post pictures soon-thanks again, Murph

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The furnace usually does not have a filter. No Level indicators on the coach. You can order them on line at most places like camping world or Amazon just to name a few. Also you should be able to get them at Wally world or some other place like that also. All HL units only come with one battery. But some including my son in his North Trail had the dealer add an extra one.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Buckeye, glad the PDI went well. To answer your 2 questions....no the furnace does not have a filter and the levels are not supplied by HL. You can get the stick on levels at Wal Mart. Get the trailer as level as possible. Put one level over the landing gear switch and one just above the body side moulding on the ODS. This way you can see both when setting up.

TravelTiger

The furnace usually does not have a filter. No Level indicators on the coach. You can order them on line at most places like camping world or Amazon just to name a few. Also you should be able to get them at Wally world or some other place like that also. All HL units only come with one battery. But some including my son in his North Trail had the dealer add an extra one.

If you plan on dry camping, you'll want more/different batteries. Our coach's battery was a group 24, and wouldn't last very long... Less than a day. I think most come with a group 27? Your dealer installs the battery, so be sure to look.

We looked at the compartment and determined a second battery wouldn't fit without some major modification ( in ours the battery shelf is welded to the frame), so we ended up going with a group 29 battery. We had to get a new larger plastic battery box as well, but overall much happier with the bigger battery. We don't boondock, but at least we can be without shore power for much longer if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk