Self Contained Awning for the MPG

PapaMikey

I have been on a constant search for an awning that will work on my MPG 181 since I bought it. I was never interested in the Cabana room offered by Heartland. I have found one at Camping World made by Horizon that should work, but have not really talked to them about it yet. I did however, talk with the service boss at the dealership where I purchased my MPG and she showed me some self contained awnings attached to sides of smaller motor homes that might work. She said that she would have to contact Heartland to see if the blueprints were available for my unit. I had not heard from the service department boss for over three weeks, so I finally contacted them. She told me that although it is a possibility to install a self contained awning on my MPG 181, Heartland refused to send her the blueprints (showing where the metal studs are located), stating that NO aftermarket awnings will work on the MPG and that only the Cabana attachment will work. Both of us could not believe their statement. The next time I bring my trailer home, I am going to take my metal stud detecting stud finder and see if I can locate the studs. If I can find the studs located in the right place, I will mark them with painter's tape, and take my unit to my dealer to see what they think. I have already told my wife, that if this does not work, we may have to go out and look for a new travel trailer with an awning already installed. She told me not to even think about it. Our unit is paid for and we both love it, except for the fact that it does not have an awning. I will let you know how this story ends, either no awning, or if I do get an awning installed, I will post pictures.

Leanna66

Interested to hear what you find out. I also have a 2011 MPG 181. Good luck.

I have been on a constant search for an awning that will work on my MPG 181 since I bought it. I was never interested in the Cabana room offered by Heartland. I have found one at Camping World made by Horizon that should work, but have not really talked to them about it yet. I did however, talk with the service boss at the dealership where I purchased my MPG and she showed me some self contained awnings attached to sides of smaller motor homes that might work. She said that she would have to contact Heartland to see if the blueprints were available for my unit. I had not heard from the service department boss for over three weeks, so I finally contacted them. She told me that although it is a possibility to install a self contained awning on my MPG 181, Heartland refused to send her the blueprints (showing where the metal studs are located), stating that NO aftermarket awnings will work on the MPG and that only the Cabana attachment will work. Both of us could not believe their statement. The next time I bring my trailer home, I am going to take my metal stud detecting stud finder and see if I can locate the studs. If I can find the studs located in the right place, I will mark them with painter's tape, and take my unit to my dealer to see what they think. I have already told my wife, that if this does not work, we may have to go out and look for a new travel trailer with an awning already installed. She told me not to even think about it. Our unit is paid for and we both love it, except for the fact that it does not have an awning. I will let you know how this story ends, either no awning, or if I do get an awning installed, I will post pictures.

canakiwi

There used to be a facebook page for the MPG. A number of people there posted pictures of the Dometic Trimline Awning fitted to an MPG. All seemed happy with it. I think it was the ten foot model available from Camping World.

MPG Awning.jpgMPG Awning2.jpg

Tumblebug

Another tread with information. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23940-Anyone-install-an-awning-on-their-MPG/page2

You are correct... These pictures are of my 185 with awning mounted. Awning is purchased in a zip up bag and with a little time and effort can easily be mounted in the groove across the right side of the MPG 10 feet long mounts at a slight angle and stays put. Unzips and rolls out legs pop up and the whole thing is a dream even in the wind and rain. Works just fine for me and mine. One heck of a lot cheaper than anything we could find. Have used it over and over now since installed and not one problem. We sewed ties to the inside of the canvass bag so when rolled up it ties up and then zips shut.

Bruce and Georgia
Chandler, Arizona
Toyota Tacoma and MPG 185Heber Camping 9-10-12 001.jpgHeber Camping 9-10-12 002.jpg

MPG185-GA

We ordered the same awning for our 185 and love it. I still carry the Dometic Awning, but I leave this one on the MPG and is our "go to" awning.....

http://home.comcast.net/~shademaker/index.htm

Works Great and is one heck of a lot cheaper than anyone else. Sewn together very well and as I mentioned I opened up the bag while not mounted and hand sewed some tough nylon shoe strings in three places. So when mounted you roll it up while on a handy step ladder and can tie it in place with one and move to the others and tie it - then zip it closed.

reelmpg

I have been looking at the various awning options folks have posted. I see mixed feedback on the dome awning due to cost, ease and availability. I was thinking of modifying a Coleman instant tent to be a screen room. I am pretty handy with a sewing machine and think I might be able to leverage it into a nice solution. I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty with using a tent-like porch at RV sites? There seem to be some properties that make statement about prohibiting tents on RV sites. It not clear to me if a cloth style awning like the dome, or my modified creation would be ok. I am not sure of the criteria for constitutes a "tent" with so many cloth rooms options? Any body had any trouble? Thanks for helping a newbie!