2013 Goshen Rally - Bring your Aluminum Beverage Tabs to benefit Ronald McDonald House

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
If you're attending the North American Rally in Goshen this June consider saving your 'Pop Tops' and bringing them to the rally so that they can be donated to the Ronald McDonald House. It's as easy as 'popping' the top off of your soda cans, beer cans etc and saving them in a baggie. Saving & donating just the tops is much easier for the Ronald McDonald House to deal with than the entire can.

wdk450

Re: Pop Tops for the Ronald McDonald House

Scrap aluminum cans fetch about 80 cents a pound. A pound of pull tabs is a LOT of pull tabs. I would make a monetary donation instead.

2psnapod1

True enough...but since we always have 'pop tops' it doesn't hurt to save them (they take up very little space) and then turn them in to the Ronald McDonald House.

TXTiger

I am not sure but have been told that the tops are turned in not for their weight like an empty can but for a credit of 10 minutes of dialysis per top. Perhaps someone can verify this and we all make an effort to bring as many tops to the rally as we can.

Kbvols

I pulled the below information from Ronald McDonald House page. The tabs are sent to recycle center. It does take a lot of tabs to make a pound but every little bit helps and collectively can make a positive impact. The hardest part for me is remembering to pull'em off.

Why?
Ronald McDonald Houses collect pop tabs instead of entire aluminum cans because it's more hygienic to store tabs than cans, and collection and storage is easier. The program is an easy way for people of all ages to support RMHC and know they are making a difference for families and children.
Where?
If your local Ronald McDonald House participates in the program, it’s likely cardboard collection containers in the shape of a house have been distributed to schools, community and civic groups and other organizations in your area. Collect pop tabs to drop off at one of these areas, or contact your local House about getting a collection container that you can be responsible for filling through one of your own groups.
How much?
After the tabs are collected, the local RMHC Chapter brings the collection to local recycling centers, where they are weighed to determine their value (values can vary significantly). The recycling center then sends the local RMHC Chapter a check for the total value.
Still don't think it can make a difference? While it does vary by Chapter, RMHC Upper Midwest raises approximately $30,000 a year through their pop tab program. Now that is a lot of pop tabs! Did you ever think it could be so easy to help families in need?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders

The Order of the Eastern Star, which is an auxiliary organization to Masonry, here in Oklahoma does the pop tab collection for the RMH. Each year the chapter of the OES here at my lodge turn in around 90 - 100 lbs of tabs. The tabs are collected from all the Masons and OES members, local nursing homes, senior centers, etc. Local neighborhood pubs are a grat place for donation cans. The tabs don't just have to be pop can tops. They can come from soup cans, cat food cans or anything else with an aluminum pull ring.

2psnapod1

I pulled the below information from Ronald McDonald House page. The tabs are sent to recycle center. It does take a lot of tabs to make a pound but every little bit helps and collectively can make a positive impact. The hardest part for me is remembering to pull'em off.

Why?
Ronald McDonald Houses collect pop tabs instead of entire aluminum cans because it's more hygienic to store tabs than cans, and collection and storage is easier. The program is an easy way for people of all ages to support RMHC and know they are making a difference for families and children.
Where?
If your local Ronald McDonald House participates in the program, it’s likely cardboard collection containers in the shape of a house have been distributed to schools, community and civic groups and other organizations in your area. Collect pop tabs to drop off at one of these areas, or contact your local House about getting a collection container that you can be responsible for filling through one of your own groups.
How much?
After the tabs are collected, the local RMHC Chapter brings the collection to local recycling centers, where they are weighed to determine their value (values can vary significantly). The recycling center then sends the local RMHC Chapter a check for the total value.
Still don't think it can make a difference? While it does vary by Chapter, RMHC Upper Midwest raises approximately $30,000 a year through their pop tab program. Now that is a lot of pop tabs! Did you ever think it could be so easy to help families in need?

Thank you, Kbvols, for taking the time to check into the 'tabs' program. Never knew exactly how it works.

dieselsweetheart

So far there are over 200 rigs signed up. If everyone works on this effort, that is a lot of tabs. Thank you Kelly for starting a thread for this because in 2011 someone stood up to announce about saving the tabs and I don't remember who that was. I mentioned it briefly in my BWIL thread...so thanks for bringing this to the forefront. I myself have been saving tabs since 2011 so I have a lot to donate.

If you are not a soda drinker (or beer)....tell a friend who is...tell lots of friends to save their tabs for you!!!

2psnapod1

Like Rex said above...not only do soda & beer have 'tabs'...I've also pulled them from juice, soup & vegetable cans...anything thing that has an aluminum tab will do!

truknutt

Committed Member

Like Rex said above...not only do soda & beer have 'tabs'...I've also pulled them from juice, soup & vegetable cans...anything thing that has an aluminum tab will do!

Don't forget pet food cans, too!!

Dieselsweetheart, That was Nancy Padovano who announced it at the last rally. We have been saving the tabs for her and I believe the Heartland crew does also.
Thanks to all who save them because it does make a difference.

dieselsweetheart

Thanks for the info Al and Donna....I knew it was someone I did not know previously. If we've all been saving for 2 years we ought to have a good amount. BTW, where I teach a colleague is saving them for the R McD house up in Wilmington so she stole mine from today's lunch. But I have more......hehe

truknutt

Committed Member

Straight from the Ronald McDonald House Website......

There is no 10 minutes of dialysis...the tabs are simply weighed and turned in for scrap "...because it's more hygienic to store tabs than cans, and collection and storage is easier."