Factory changes

Dave326

We ordered a new 2013 Road Warrior 415RW from the Hershey RV Show in September. We were sold on the layout of the Master Bedroom as well as the rest of the RV and really liked that it came with a ice maker in the 4 door refer. When we went to pick up our new RV at Keystone RV in Greencastle, PA we almost did not accept delivery because they had changed the master bedroom from a full closet across the front to two smaller closets with a fancy seat in between(read wasted space). There were some other warranty issues including the fact that we were sold the RV with a sales pitch that it had an ice maker in the 4 door fridge and the 4 door fridge we had did not include an ice maker. The salesman and marketing manager both agreed that they had used the ice maker as a selling point. Now when I am trying to schedule the warranty work I am being told that Heartland stopped installing the ice maker in August of 2012. The 415 RW on display at the show had an ice maker and the full closet. The service manager at Keystone RV gave me the number to Heartland RV Customer service and Warranty because he said he could not do anything about the fridge. When I called Heartland Customer service the response I got was basically "sorry about your luck". I am going to call next week to speak with the customer service supervisor, but they don't seem to care about customer satisfaction. Why couldn't someone have let us know that these things had changed? When you are shopping for a Rv that cost as much as these do you one would like to believe that the company would at least try to work with you. I understand that they cannot change the whole front of the master bedroom, but why can't they at least swap out the fridge. I am so frustrated that I wish I had both the Raptor or the Vengence.:confused::(:(:mad:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear of your disappointment.
One thing everyone should be aware of is that with most things we buy today there is almost always some 'fine print' that says something like, "we reserve the right to make changes without notice or obligation".
You might want to consult with your dealer about a icemaker retrofit, gratis.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Dave,

Heartland makes changes throughout the model year, so surprises happen.

Sometimes changes occur because Heartland finds out that some feature that seemed like a good idea isn't really important to most owners. If you search this forum, you'll find mixed opinions about the value of the icemaker. Many people prefer countertop icemakers that do a better job without sacrificing freezer space. And there's no special winterizing needed. I'll hazard a guess that Heartland figured this out and changed refrigerator models.

Since the dealership sold you this trailer on the basis of it having an icemaker, maybe they'd be willing to buy you a countertop unit. Amazon lists quite a selection.

Ric_Flair

My 2013 415RW has the ice maker, but not the full closet in the BR. Wish it did. That seating area and open hole abouve it is a big waste of space, and efficient utilization of space is one of the more improtant features in a camper.

travis_g

Funny, after I was browsing the HL site and saw the new layout I was thinking I might leave me it better. In our 415, we have the full closet and ice maker. The downside to these is that there is very little room between the bed and sliding glass door. The ice maker is nice but it takes up almost the entire freezer side. I can buy a bag of ice and keep it in the freezer and have more ice in less space. Then an ice tray or two for backup.

In your layout, where is the washer connection?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Dave326

Funny, after I was browsing the HL site and saw the new layout I was thinking I might leave me it better. In our 415, we have the full closet and ice maker. The downside to these is that there is very little room between the bed and sliding glass door. The ice maker is nice but it takes up almost the entire freezer side. I can buy a bag of ice and keep it in the freezer and have more ice in less space. Then an ice tray or two for backup.

In your layout, where is the washer connection?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

The washer connection is on the right side closet. Putting a washer in it would render it almost useless for anything else. Heartland has agreed to pay for a portable ice maker. So we will accept and move on. The ice maker wasn't the worst thing they changed but when you consider that the bedroom could absolutely not be changed we thought the least they could do was give us the ice maker. I couldn't agree more with Ric_Flair about the bedroom seating area.

travis_g

I bet a good carpenter could redo the closet few a few hundred dollars. From the way mine looks, it is a simple frame with a sliding glass door. Either way, good luck and enjoy.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

szewczyk_john

I am glad that we have the older bedroom set up. There is little room to move around the bed but we have ample storage for our stuff. When I first saw the new layout I thought that I liked it but after some thought I do not like this change.