Sorry, Another Tire Question

frumbawa

This time regarding dimensions. I know I've seen this discussion before somewhere on the forum but I'm not finding it at the moment so I will ask again. I will be changing out my Blow Max 235/80R16s in the very near future. Based on the many posts regarding tires, it appears the big three are Maxxis, Michelin XPS Ribs, and Goodyear G614s. My current rims are rated for 110 so I could go with the G614s but with less than 3 inches spacing between the tires, I'm wondering if I will have spacing issues with the G614s or any of the others. Anyone been there done that? I will call my local Discount Tire but I'd like to have a little knowledge up front just so I know if I'm being fed a line of you know what.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank

kkamshop

I called dexter axle and gave then my axle numbers on a previous camper,and they told me exactly what tires and rims would work.

travisepr

I run Duravis on my trailer. I own an excavation company and was told by my tire supplier that he runs them on all the Frito Lay etc delivery trucks because the drivers are constantly hopping curbs and popping tires. I get two more miles per gallon after installing them on my trailer. Can't say enough good about them.

GOTTOYS

i went from Tow Max 235/80/16 ST tires to B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs that were 235/85/16 LT which then were recalled and replaced Michelin Ribs in the 235/85/16 LT size. The Commercial TAs were about 1 1/2" to 2" apart between the tires, the Ribs are a little closer together, but my X-Chocks still fit. That's good enough for me. I put around 13,000 trouble free miles on the Commercial TAs and they were recalled and replaced at no charge. I would buy another set in a heartbeat! No issues at all with tire clearance. There will never be another ST tire on any of my trailers..Don

Garypowell

I don't know enough about your rig to speak authoritatively but on my 3010RE they are about 1" closer.

WHAT I DO KNOW....is you need to make sure they know what they are doing. Even though I told my Discount Tire place I wanted steel valve stems they still tried to put on 80# ones. They told me they did not have higher rated than that. This added about 2 hours to the job as I went out and bought some only to find out they already had what I purchased in store but did not know their rating.

On top of this they did not have sufficient air pressure to go above 90#. So there I sat with my air pump blowing them up myself before I felt safe moving......and the air pump did not work well. That's another challenge you will face. Even though pumps are rated for 150# they many times don't get there.

Bottom line these were good people trying there best but the only knew car tires and I had to be the one to educate them!

lwmcguir

This time regarding dimensions. I know I've seen this discussion before somewhere on the forum but I'm not finding it at the moment so I will ask again. I will be changing out my Blow Max 235/80R16s in the very near future. Based on the many posts regarding tires, it appears the big three are Maxxis, Michelin XPS Ribs, and Goodyear G614s. My current rims are rated for 110 so I could go with the G614s but with less than 3 inches spacing between the tires, I'm wondering if I will have spacing issues with the G614s or any of the others. Anyone been there done that? I will call my local Discount Tire but I'd like to have a little knowledge up front just so I know if I'm being fed a line of you know what.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank
the G614's will be the smallest diameter

TireHobby

The Power King Towmax ST235/80R16E has a diameter of 30.08".
The Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85R16G has a diameter of 30.07".

TH

Phatkd

My Tow Max tires say STR on them,..Does anyone know if there is a difference in the ST and the STR? Sorry if I am derailing the thread.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
My Tow Max tires say STR on them,..Does anyone know if there is a difference in the ST and the STR? Sorry if I am derailing the thread.
Just a guess... ST / bias ply... STR / radial ??? (I think ST stands for specail trailer)

frumbawa

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did some calling around yesterday and it pretty much came down to "we need to see it to be sure" if the G614s will fit. Most said that with less than 3 inches in between the tires, they would not advise it but that it was my decision to make. I guess the next step is to haul the camper to the tire shop and and let them take a look. The part that sucks is that no matter which brand I go with, the tires need to be ordered so having them take a look is an extra trip out that I need to make.

Thanks again.

Frank