BH 358RL Wheel Stud Size

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Can anyone tell me whether I have the 1/2" or the 9/16" studs for my wheels on my 2013 Bighorn 3585RL with the 7000 lb. axles? I am ordering some new 17.5" wheels and tires to replace the China Bomb (TowMax) tires and stock wheels that came with my fifth wheel before I have some type of epic tire failure that I have been reading about, from a tire shop online in Edon Ohio and they need to know which wheel studs I have. The socket size for the lug nuts on the fifth wheel are 7/8" or 22 mm. Thank you in advance for your help with this.

For20hunter

They would be 9/16 studson a 7K axel.

Thanks for your quick reply Jon! I was almost certain that they were the 9/16" but I just wanted to make sure since shipping is $235.00 each way for the 5 wheels and tires.

Rod

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would be sure if I were you.. Take one of the lug nuts off and go to a tire store and check it. Or go to a hardware store and check it if you can...

I changed out my axles for IS which has a 7k axle. Check your axle and see if it is 6k or 7k..

FWIW
BC

For20hunter

I would be sure if I were you.. Take one of the lug nuts off and go to a tire store and check it. Or go to a hardware store and check it if you can...

I changed out my axles for IS which has a 7k axle. Check your axle and see if it is 6k or 7k..

FWIW
BC

Bob,

I checked the build when we first got it and it says that it has the 7000# axles, just doen't mention the wheel stud size anywhere.

Rod

caissiel

Use a socket to check stud diameter. It's either
1/2 or 9/16 in.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

For20hunter

Use a socket to check stud diameter. It's either
1/2 or 9/16 in.

How accurate is that? The 1/2 socket does not fit over the stud but a 9/16 socket does. A half in drill bit seems pretty snug in the lug nut, but of course that does not take into account the depth of the threads.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Isn't it stamped on the rim or lug nuts? I remember seeing it some where's in that area when swapping my 16's out for the 17.5's.

I have dexter 7k axles with 9/16 studs. If you are unclear if you have 6k or 7k axles. The quick way to check is to see what color the power wire is going into the drums. Black = 7k. White = 6k axles (Dexter). Not sure if that is true on kippers axles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My older Bighorn came with 6k axles and 9/16 studs using a 13/16 deep socket. I've since upgraded to 7k axles but still have the same size studs. For what it's worth, I had trouble finding a replacement lug nut. I did find one but it took some searching.

For20hunter

It takes a 7/8 socket. I ended up removing one wheel and saw that the backside of the wheel is marked and stamped, but at that point I just mic'd the studs to confirm that they are 9/16. A short time later, Heartland customer service called me back and confirmed what Jmbhobe said in his first comment that all of their 7000# axles have the 9/16 studs. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions on this. I just didn't want to order my new wheels and tires and get them shipped just to find out they were not the correct ones! No I am looking forward to getting the new wheels and tires on the Bighorn and getting rid of these TowMax's.

Rod Ditrich

lwmcguir

The same wheels pretty much work on 1/2 or 9/16 studs. When you go on up to 5/8" and larger then you have to be careful of having the correct wheel. Best place to get hardened replacement lug nuts is on line.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Shouldn't judge the size of the stud by the size of the socket that fits the lug nut. You can get two or three different lug nuts that fit a 9/16" stud that use various size of sockets.

For20hunter

Shouldn't judge the size of the stud by the size of the socket that fits the lug nut. You can get two or three different lug nuts that fit a 9/16" stud that use various size of sockets.

That is exactly why I removed the wheel and mic'd the studs just to be sure. However, Heartland called me back and said that all 7000# dexter axles that they use have the 9/16" wheel studs, so unless they have been changed, that is a good rule of thumb to use.

Rod