Ice Maker!!!

Uncle Rog

We picked up a Magic Chef counter top ice maker yesterday at Target for $150. It kicks out 12 cubes about every 10 +- minutes. It runs on 2-3.5 amps max and will be great with hook ups or when charging up the battery banks. It will even run on the inverter! The advertised production is 33# in 24 hrs. We probably go through 5-6 bags a week end so it will pay for itself in no time.................

lwfox002

We say one at a show last Saturday. We plan on getting one soon. Lots better than buying ice every day.

Chuck

We, also, bought the Magic Chef Ice Maker last summer from Target and love it. It's amazing how fast it can make the ice. It's already paid for itself.

Chuck & Pat

jpmorgan37

Rog;
What in the world do you do with 33# of ice a day? And how much salt do you use? Limes? Sound like a good time!!!!!!!!!

John

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We bought one a year ago from Camping World have been quite pleased so far. I believe it will take awhile for the cost to catch up with the cost of ice, but sure is handy not having to go get it. ---Ken

ct0218

Like John, what do you do with that much ice? We have the icemaker in the Dometic fridge, what I would call a low production unit, and we can't even go through that. We do have a need for additional ice at our home, so it sounds like a good deal. What are the approximate dimensions? What is the water hookup?

vangoes

Please provide specifics on the counter top ice maker.............it sounds really great. I have an icemaker in my fridge but never use it. By the time I put the ice tray/cup in there is no room for food. H'mmm, let me see...........ice or food? I drink beer....no need for ice!!!

katkens

ct0218 said:
Like John, what do you do with that much ice? We have the icemaker in the Dometic fridge, what I would call a low production unit, and we can't even go through that. We do have a need for additional ice at our home, so it sounds like a good deal. What are the approximate dimensions? What is the water hookup?

Roughly ours is 15x14x16 and there is no water hookup. The water is poured into a reservoir and from that it makes the cubes . It does not keep the cubes frozen only freezes the ice and if not used reuses the melted ice.---Ken

Specs: Dimensions (L X D x H) 14.18 x 15.67 x 16.93 inches
Capacity 29lbs.
Ice storage 2.5 lbs.
Ice making 29 lbs.

Last edited:

Uncle Rog

Howdy guys, in order to produce that much ice you would have to pretty much stay on it 24/7, and yes quite a bit goes to the manufacturing of assorted libations. Chuck, you are a true visionary. Jp, I am a purest, of sorts, when limes and salt get involved there isn't much ice involved. Clark, it is roughly 18 x 18 x 20" high and weighs 46#'s. I figure by using block ice for the ice chest and using this little jewel for drinks, that does include sodas etc., it will cut down on trips to the ice locker considerably. If nothing else Suzy loves it, that is good enough for me.......

Ken is probably closer on the dimensions, the reservoir holds approx 1 gallon..........

katkens

vangoes said:
Please provide specifics on the counter top ice maker.............it sounds really great. I have an icemaker in my fridge but never use it. By the time I put the ice tray/cup in there is no room for food. H'mmm, let me see...........ice or food? I drink beer....no need for ice!!!

We just start collecting ice the day before company comes fill the cooler with ice, beer ,wine coolers and soda for young ones, so beer really does need ice to be cooooold.:)

Chuck

When you're camping and it's 20 miles to the nearest store to get anything, the ice maker comes in handy for the food that won't fit into the fridge or freezer. Plus the sodas and beer are kept cold without taking up any room in the fridge. With the price of gas and what they charge for a 7# bag of ice the savings total up fast.

jimtoo

Has anyone had the experience of the ice maker ice smelling or tasting bad if you do not use it for a few days and then start using it again? On several occasions, we have come home, parked the Bighorn and not turned on the ice maker for a few days and then when it is turned on, the ice taste bad and actually has a smell.

I then have to drain and clean completely, run some cleaner containing bleach, recycle the unit several times to pump the water through the system and then flush it out. Then refill and it is good to go again.

Uncle Rog

Jim, I havn't had ours long enough to encounter anything unusual. Our tap water is very good and we use an under sink filter also. The instructions with ours emphasized keeping the unit clean and when done I use the ice scoop to prop the hatch open to air it out....

soilmovers

Ice maker- clear cubes

I love the counter top ice maker and found using distilled water will produce crystal clear cubes.
Distilled water is not a problem since we use a portable water distiller for our drinking water. It's the best way to guarantee safe drinking water from questionable water sources. It will make about 3 gallons per day.

I found this to be one of the best investments in rv equipment.

Cindy
working near Huntsville, TX

jgilbert

Uncle Rog said:
Dang! Kohls has the stainless steel model for $99 !!!!!!
Um, is this all Kohl's or just the one where you are? If it is all of them, I definitely need to go by there tomorrow!

Joe

jimtoo

I use a filter for all the water coming into the trailer. Don't know what causes the smell or taste but maybe I will drain and dry it next time I am not going to use for a while.

I purchased ours from http://www.compactappliance.com in Austin, Texas. They gave me a good price and even when it was out of warranty they shipped me some switches at no charge. You might check them out for specials they have at times.

Jim