Have a garmin Gps not sure it is tv friendly!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yes the maps can take you through the US, Canada and Mexico.

Which is the best??? Well which is better, Ford, Chevy, Dodge... Kinda Sorta the same question. Some depends on what you want to do, and how you want to do it....

I use a Garmin 465t which is considered a truckers GPS, however I very seldom use it in truck mode because it takes me out of the way sometimes by a long way. I tried to set the truck mode up for my 5th wheel and even reduced the weight some hoping it would always route me around low clearances. Didn't work to well.

I do not make any routes normally, directly on the GPS. I usually create a route on my computer and upload it to the GPS that way I know what the route looks like. However to do this you need to use one of Garmins mapping programs and the only one being supported is BaseCamp. A lot of people don't like it because it is a data base type program. All the data is kept in on file on your computer in a spot it is programed to use. MapSource is a program that a lot of people like but it is not being supported any more and Garmin doesn't care. This coul make a difference in the future wether I purchase another Garmin, but so far I believe it is the best out there for now.

I also use Microsoft Streets and Trps on my laptop. If you get the program with the GPS dongle you can use your laptop going down the road. You drive and your DW keeps track on the laptop. S&T allows you to save each trip to it's own data file.

BaseCamp is not real bad once you learn how to handle it. I use it all the time. It keeps all the waypoints, routes and such in one file but you can organize them in different ways and if you want you can save the information in seperate files by using the backup feature then renaming the file but leaving the file extension the same.Then remove all the data in the data file and starting all over.

I will discuss this more if you are really interested.

BC

BTW... the Garmin BaseCamp Forum is here..
https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use a Garmin. We are very happy with it. Don't buy the Rand McNally unit, too many problems with it.

Lynn1130

Garmin. I have two right now and have owned a total of 8 over the years. I do agree that the lack of support for Mapsource is a problem as it is one of the best programs for mapping. I am not fond of BaseCamp either. The system in my truck is built in to the JVC stereo and is NavTec software. So for it is doing a good job and has not sent me on any wild goose chases.

danemayer

We've got a Garmin Dezl 560, which is designed for truckers, but also supports RVs. I added a profile for our RV and it's done a very good job over the past couple of years.

Depending on how I set it, it can take the scenic route instead of interstates, or vice versa. It's been reliable on avoiding routes with clearances that don't support the profile.

If there's a weakness, it's in the maps. I've upgraded the maps several times (came with lifetime subscription). An example of bad map data is Buck Creek RV Park east of Abilene. 2 maps ago, it avoided the correct exit because the map data showed it as not suitable for 26,000 lbs. Instead tried to route us a back way on a gravel road. I passed. The next time we went there, with the next map release, it tried to take us past the correct exit, again because the map data still had a "no trucks" restriction. The current map now has the correct data and it works.

I think all the major GPS vendors use map data from the same company, so they all probably share this weakness. At least with a lifetime subscription, it gets better over time.

olcoon

Some good info already on here, Dan hit the nail on the head with the mapping. Garmin buys the map from a 3rd party, and as good as they are, they aren't absolute! For instance, we are now in TX, and they have the outer roads that run on each side of the interstate, as one way on each side of the interstate. The GPS will have you get off on an exit, and when you do, sometimes it still "sees" you as being on the interstate, so if you aren't paying attention, when you exit you may miss your turn, as it's got you going to the next exit (this may be the GPS/Garmin's fault). Also sometimes we've had it tell us to exit off the interstate (this has happened in CO, and other states), and at the bottom of the exit, it will have us get right back on the interstate! Also, when going through a major city, for instance Dallas, it will have you go right through the city instead of taking the loop around the city & away from the major traffic. My wife always has a state map in her lap to verify what the GPS is telling us...it's saved us several times! We have a Garmin Nuvi 750, it's outdated & we need to replace it, but just haven't found that round tuit yet! We also own Garmin hand held GPS units for Geocaching & from what I've heard from numerous people Garmin is the best for Geocaching. Do a lot of research on them & learn as much as you can before you decide which one will work best for you. One of the best ways to learn how to use your GPS whether you are using it in your vehicle, or in the woods is to Geocache. You'll learn your GPS, and have a lot of fun on the way!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One other thing. Not all Garmin GPS units will recoginze Basecamp. You can not upload from your computer to the GPS. One thing you might do is get on the Garmin Forum and see which GPS's will let you upload a route and waypoints.

FWIW
BC

Wharton

You need to use common sense when using any GPS. People blindly following the GPS route are the ones that get into trouble.

danemayer

On the Dezl 560, I've found the easiest way for me is to use google maps or mapquest to find a location and send it to the GPS as a Favorite. Just need to connect the GPS to the PC to do so.

I've tried Basecamp a couple of times but don't care for it as much as Bob does. Not a criticism of the program; just personal preference.

jnbhobe

You need to use common sense when using any GPS. People blindly following the GPS route are the ones that get into trouble.

I agree 100%, I always look at the maps, weather its on paper or on the computer. I want an over all idea of where I'm going. I just don't trust the GPS. I have seen it be wrong too many times.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like the other posters, I set up my routes and stops on the computer. I use Streets & Trips 2013. For a GPS, I had Garmin, Magellan and Tom Tom and I'm back to a basic cheapo Garmin NUVI 1350. It does all I need it to and has the lifetime map upgrades included.

Lance & Jo

We use a Garmin nuvi 3590 (had an earlier garmin before) and have used it in B.C., the western U.S. and Baja Mx. Maps for US and CA seem to be good but Mx maps are not as detailed and leave out a lot of small villages/towns. I use streets & trips for trip planning and sometimes down load the route to the GPS. When we first got the 3590 I down loaded almost all the time but since we only travel around 250 miles a day it just seems like an extra step since I have already looked at the route on the computer. With streets and trips you can get all the really important POIs like low clearance and Cracker Barrel restaurants so what more does a guy need?

MTPockets

We've travelled from Florida to ALaska and all over the USA using our Garmin Nuvi1450 ... We do all our routing, including Campgrounds, and find restaurants, tourist sites, etc. and it has been a great unit.... It's a wonderful unit..... We do use the paper Atlas as a backup for the general planning, but always the Garmin for the specific address. It has been wrong a couple times, but no big deal.... In congested areas like a store address in a mall, we've been directed to the strip mall on the other side of the highway. Another time, it took us down a dead end road that continued on the other side of a field... But all in all, it's a great unit and has covered 40,000 plus travel miles with no problems.