Newbie Decorating Question

Leanna66

I've seen some great ideas for decorating in the forum. I would like to add some personal touches to my MGP. But how do you put pictures or other wall decor up in a trailer? I assume you don't want to use a nail.

danemayer

DW is a regular customer of 3M mounting stuff found in Walmarts and many other stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VKTalley

I've seen some great ideas for decorating in the forum. I would like to add some personal touches to my MGP. But how do you put pictures or other wall decor up in a trailer? I assume you don't want to use a nail.

Leanna, I use the 3M command strips products and they are working great (Velcro picture strips and hooks). I agree with adding our own touches to our "homes".

Speedy

Make sure you follow the directions because if you do not wait the alloted time the pictures will fall off the wall. The wife keeps reminding me to wait to let the adhesive set.

twohappycampers

I, too, have found the 3M hooks work pretty great. I would suggest still being a little careful, because they aren't fool-proof. I had one, a large one, for my bathrobe in the bedroom, and it fell off the wall because it had caused a bubble to form on the wallboard and it kind of popped off.

jimtoo

good to know that the Command strips work.....would like to add some color to our new Sundance XLT 285

Hi Hoffartjmj,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Yes, lots of folks use the Command Strips to do the decorating.

Enjoy the forum and think of joining us at some of the rallies for Heartland Owners.

Jim M

ParkIt

Command strips work great (so far) but I still keep the TV remote on velcro. If it isn't stuck to the wall, look at your husband's backside - its probably latched on to that ;)

RanCarr

We have not found anything that keeps pics on the walls permanently. We tried everything people recommended on several RV forums. What finally worked was putting heavy duty Velcro on each corner of the frame PLUS the nail/frame hanger gizmo. What's a tiny nail hole? This takes the weight off the Verlcro or whatever you use to stabilize the pic/frame, yet the pic cannot fall off the wall when the glues on these products gets warm and starts to let go from the weight of the pic. And they do, can and will let go in too many cases, dropping the picture or decoration to the floor. The weight is on the pic hanger where it belongs, not the Velcro or 3M Command stuff. Trust me, you wont be happy to open your RV door to a mess of broken glass and possibly twisted ruined frame. Don't ask how I know this....

Theresau

We've done similar. We've used a screw plus velcro for anything heavy. When we sold the BC we left the screws there (velcro came off pretty easily) - felt new owners could use for their pics, etc.

ParkIt

I also choked on my coffee laughing when I read this. :D :D :D :D
Well...he usually has a dog stuck to the front and the remote stuck to the back...it's not a pretty sight...but it does make me laugh when he's looking for the dog who is standing at the heels of his feet and the remote stuck to his backside and he keeps going in circles looking for both.
The cats just thinks he's nuts ;)

Leanna66

Thanks for the advise. I haven't tried to hang anything heavy. I put up some Command strips as suggested and ran a cord between them. Then I hung some vintage postcards and some decorative fabric squares on the cord, using cloths pins. I take it down when traveling.

MPG_Bed.jpg MPG_table.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very homey! Love these pics!

My observation to add to this thread is that the CLEAR Command adhesive strips do not hold near as well as the white foam ones. Have had things fall that used the clear, where the white held fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RanCarr

We've done similar. We've used a screw plus velcro for anything heavy. When we sold the BC we left the screws there (velcro came off pretty easily) - felt new owners could use for their pics, etc.

When we sold the Sunline and then the Zinger, we did the same thing. No one commented on seeing a pic hangers on the walls.

PS we sold those 2 TTs because they were too small. The 28' NT w/slideout fits us better.

babycampers

I use "molly bolts" for anything too heavy for Commands but not heavy enough to require hitting a stud. Also, all models have studs somewhere accessible if you need to hang something like towel bars, tp roll holder, clocks, clothes hooks, etc. Just push in the wall paneling until you feel the stud area. It's easier than trying to locate them in a house!

archbarb

I am a true believer in command strips...never had a problem! I have also purchased Scotch removable foam squares which are a much less expensive alternative if you have really light stuff....like vintage post cards. I have used them with the "vintage" stuff I make on my scroll saw....usually they are no more than 9"x9" 1/4" plywood. This works exceptionally well but, as always, follow the instructions! I find the Scotch brand foam squares at Target and Office Depot. Have fun!!! BTW, I agree with Erika....don't buy the clear 3m strips...they are definitely not as good! Barb