Montrose, CO to Durango

gasman

Camp Socializer
On our way to the Colorado rally, we will be staying in Montrose. I am wondering about pulling Hwy 550 from Montrose to Durango. I see that there are some fairly high passes. Would I be better off finding an alternate route?

Zoomzoommo

I rode 550 (aka the Million Dollar Highway) on my motorcycle a few summers ago. The Ouray to Durango section would personally terrify me towing an RV, but there are semi's that use the highway.

Be sure to visit the Black Canyon at Gunnison National Park. I plan to be parked at Ouray in June & July.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Two summers ago we drove that route from Durango to Montrose and it was beautiful. Granted I have a shorter trailer (28') but I was also pulling with a 1/2 ton gasser. I had plenty of big 5th wheels behind me wishing I would get out of the way! I would not hesitate to drive it with a larger trailer and a diesel.
note: It is beautiful, so you do need to keep your eyes on the road! We stopped in both Ouray and Silverton for R&R, Silverton is a cute little tourist trap.

TedS

No alternate unless you backtrack, go west into Utah and down through Moab. The passes go to 11,000 feet(Molas Pass) south of Silverton. I have driven that road with our Bighorn, 34 feet long. The trickiest part will be leaving Ouray, some tight turns going uphill but doable. Beautiful drive, just don't look over the edges. Other RVs are frequent travelers on that road.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
On our way to the Colorado rally, we will be staying in Montrose. I am wondering about pulling Hwy 550 from Montrose to Durango. I see that there are some fairly high passes. Would I be better off finding an alternate route?

We've been on the Million Dollar Highwsy between Durango and Ouray, but not towing. We have seen others doing it, though. The road is very curvy, so you'll have to be careful. Also some switchbacks. Very beautiful drive though, and there are some turnouts to pull over and let others pass, or stop and take pics.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

Consider spending a little time in the Ridgway area. Especially if you are a True Grit fan (the one with John Wayne). Most of the movie was filmed in the Ridgway area, & some in Ridgway. You can do a google search on the movie & there are some websites that tell you where the areas are. If you geocache, there are a couple of caches where some filming was done. Also Ouray is an amazing town, some filming was also done there, plus The Duke also hung out in a bar/pool room there, which is now a restaurant. He became friends with the owner & when the movie was done, he gave the owner the hat he wore & it's in the restaurant. Also just N. of Ridgway, there is a memorial park for Dennis Weaver, he lived in the area for several years. We spent about a week there, and wanted to stay longer.

RoadJunkie

There are some major passes between Ouray and Durango with steep switchbacks heading north from Ouray and Siverton. I don't consider myself squeamish, but I would probably try the eastern route and back-track back up to Durango. On the positive side, the scenery is absolutely beautiful in the area I described as risky.

Cimriver

It is not necessary to go west to Utah. If you take Hwy 62 west off of Hwy 550 to Hwy 145 and go south the drive is much easier. You will end up in Cortez and will have to backtrack to Durago. This route is just a pretty as Red Mountain pass (IMO), and is a much easier drive.

Having said that, I would pull over Red Mountain Pass. It's a bit scary, but as other have said, lots of big trucks do it every day.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Thanks everyone for all the advise. We may decide to explore Red Mountain in the TV but tow across Hwy 145.