Generators

wolfrat1

We are seriously considering buy the Key Largo. I am thinking about getting a generator. Looking for ideas between a diesel and propane powered generator. Is one better than the other and which is more popular?

Thanks in advance.

jnbhobe

I would personaly rather have a diesel but providing fuel from a fifth wheel would be a problem, so thats why we have to go with LP fuel.

Inkmonkey

The LP generators are less fuel efficient than the Gas generators. The LP generators use .8 gallons an hours at 1/2 load. The gas use .6 gallons at 1/2 load. The 30LB LP tanks are 7.5 gallons (each) so the two will not even power the unit for 24 hours. Diesel is more fuel efficient and quieter than the Gas or LP (normally runs at 1/2 speed as the gas or LP) but you probably would want two fuels cells so you could carry both types of fuel. Also, the diesel will keep fresh longer than the gas but I suspect the diesel generator would be a detrement to the resale value of the unit because mose people prefer the gas units. The LP is less efficient than the gas due to the lesser BTU content of the LP vs the gas.

The most fuel efficient way to power the unit is to get two Honda 2000I units with the piggy back kit. Only gives you 4K watts but the Honda's each use about 3.5-4 gallons of gas per 24 hours so you would be looking at 8 gallons per 24 hours vs 14.4 for the Onan gas.

Here is the link on the spec sheets for the Onan LP and Gas Generators: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/specsheets/a-1425.pdf

Hope this helps,

Martin

porthole

Retired
Two Honda 2K's is not the most fuel efficient. The advantage to the 2 Honda's is the 65 pound weight of each.
A single Honda 3K IS is more efficient then the above example, but it weighs 130 pounds.

Using the above example, one 2k Honda will use less fuel, but not much less then the 3K
The 2K Honda is not as quiet as the 3K at any load. And at near max load it is about twice as noisy as no load.
The 2K has a significantly smaller fuel tank.

In the BTU content arena it is (high to low) diesel, gasoline, propane.
Convenience - gasoline, diesel, propane.
Storage (quality) propane, diesel, gasoline
Storage (safety) diesel, propane, gasoline

Given all that, if I could, I would op for one of the quiet diesel gens with a fuel cell added to the trailer.
The quiet high end portable diesels are still fairly large, and heavy.

Our new plan for the week long boon docking at Dover will be to bring the Honda 3K along for most of the needs and only use the on-board Onan when we need the extra power. I figure that will cut the fuel usuage at least in half.
The Cyclone has a 25 gallon on-board fuel tank, so that makes gasoline less of an inconvenience and I will be getting one of the commercially avaible totes (14 gallons) for re-fueling purposes.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Duane... You make some great points there.............BUT, One Honda 2000 will provide enough powerfor us with the exception of running the A/C. So when we boondock, we will generally run one / 2000 on eco mode and then I will connect the 2 together for times like running A/C. Fuel cost is minimal the majority of the time (We also have a small inverter to run TV & Sat. reciever). We like to camp where it's cool in the summer like the colorado mountains and we rarely need the a/c then. If we are in a hot area then we choose to run them both or just stay at a campground with electricity. I have to say though, I like the quietness of the 3000 and it's remote start feature.

lwmcguir

Our last Diesel generator vibrated quite a bit although it was fairly quiet. If someone has a newer model that they like I would love to hear what model it is.

hoefler

I installed a gas Onan in our Landmark. I had a custom fuel tank built to go in the back of the truck to power it. When we need to go somewhere in the truck, I have a 6 gallon boat tank to power it until we return.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have a Onan 5500 in my Cyclone. It ran 40hrs on 30gals that averages to .75 gallons an hour. Not what I call efficient. Approximately $55 a day to run it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

dave10a

We are seriously considering buy the Key Largo. I am thinking about getting a generator. Looking for ideas between a diesel and propane powered generator. Is one better than the other and which is more popular?

Thanks in advance.

Could explain how you intend to use the generator. Other wise it is impossible to provide a recommendation.

porthole

Retired
For your setup the 2K makes sense. I tried the 2K but at the time the combiner was not an option. And I had 3 2K's and 2 1K's at my disposal.

That is the reason for the 3K for me.
Under a heavy load the 2K starts to get a bit noisy.

The 3K is about the same efficiency as 2K, figuring an average load of 1000 watts.
The advantage of the 3 over 2 is the noise level (quieter) and tank capacity (3.5 times more)
The disadvantage is the size and weight.

Cost is neither, as when you are looking at the Honda's you are not looking to save money.

Duane... You make some great points there.............BUT, One Honda 2000 will provide enough powerfor us with the exception of running the A/C. So when we boondock, we will generally run one / 2000 on eco mode and then I will connect the 2 together for times like running A/C. Fuel cost is minimal the majority of the time (We also have a small inverter to run TV & Sat. reciever). We like to camp where it's cool in the summer like the colorado mountains and we rarely need the a/c then. If we are in a hot area then we choose to run them both or just stay at a campground with electricity. I have to say though, I like the quietness of the 3000 and it's remote start feature.

wolfrat1

i'm looking to possibly join the full timers club after i retire (34yrs is long enough). i'm not entirely sure when or where i would need power, but would like to be prepared for occasional power outage. my knowledge of generators is none. i just want to get the most efficient one when i buy my next rig.

thanks...

dave10a

For occasional use the propane is fine and the most convenient if you install it in your trailer.

aatauses

Question about using the 2K generator-----how did you hook it up to the rv---are you using the existing power cord with some type of connection to go from 50amp to the 20 amp that a 2K has? Since we usually camp at rv parks, we have not had an issue with power, however we do occasionally camp without power and was thinking of purchasing a 2K, just now wondering about the proper way to hook to the rv and if we use the existing power cord, do I need to do anyhting special inside with the breakers?
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

Phatkd

A dog bone to go from 50A to 30A and then another one to go from 30A to 110v and you are set. A 2k will at least keep the batteries topped off.

jimtoo

You could use a 50 to 20 amp adapter, or you probably already have 50 to 30,,, so you could get a 30 to 20 and use both I would think... but it is another connector in the circuit. Tweeyt's and other supply houses would have something for you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind a 2k generator probably will not run the air conditioner but will run the lights and charge the battery

brianharrison

The Honda 2K Companion generator comes with a built in 30amp twist lock. They also provide a companion kit for 2 "regular" EU2000s paralleled together. This can also be used to parallel two 3000s with a 50 amp outlet. My inner "tim-the-tool-man" thinks that's the way I should go....:rolleyes:

I have run both setups, 3000 and 2-2000 parallel set ups, and I wish I would have stayed with the 3000.

Brian

dave10a

Propane does have an advantage over gas and diesel. It is cleaner and one does not need to exercised the generator as frequently if at all when not in use. not to mention less frequent oil changes. Today's gasoline that has ethanol mixed in it will corrode the carburetor if not treated with storage additives. Diesel has a problem of algae when stored for long periods of time. Propane does not have the BTU's that gasoline or diesel have with diesel have the highest level of BTU per gallon. That means propane fuel consumption is proportionately higher. However, propane is cheaper per gallon which make its cost equivalent to gas or diesel. It also should noted that the better generators can be converted to gas/propane with adapter kits. Yamaha, for example offers conversion kit. Engines that run on propane or natural gas have a longer life cycle and servie life and require less service-- If one is a "tree hugger" propane is easier on the environment because it has less CO2 and cleaner burning.

DougS

Doug S
aatauses,

i run my 2 Honda 2000i through a 30 amp additional shore line that comes out of the King Pin mount. This line then goes through a 50 amp transfer switch to power the RV. I can run my RV on one or 2 Honda's connected together. I have older gens, so I do not have the Companion unit.
I like the Honda 2000i because they fit under my truck hard bed cover, and they each weigh less.

wolfrat1

if i have the propane generator installed in my 5th wheel is there a way i can run an auxillary hose to the outside of my trailer? i have 50 and 100lb tanks from my side business (concession trailer) and they just sit up when we close for the season. i would love to use these tanks if i could. is there a way to do this safely?

thanks...