New Tires

geeksrus

I'm planning to replace the tires on my 2008 3400RL.

The products I'm considering are;

a) Michelin Xrib LT235/85R16E 3042lb capacity @ $269/tire

b) Goodyear G614RST LT235/85R16G 3750lb capacity @ $350/tire

c) Goodyear Wrangler RT/S LT235/85R16E 3042lb capacity @ $215tire

(all prices are Canadian)

My unit has 6000lb axles, with a GVWR of 14,600. I have the aluminum wheel option on the unit.

Am I okay with the capacities on a and c???

Any input on these products would be appreciated. I'd also appreciated receiving feed back on prices in the U.S.

Thanks EH!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Check your rim to see what the air pressure max is. It will be on the inside of the rim. My 3055, the max air is 80# with 6000# axels. I looked at costco out here on the cost and michelin XPS trialer tires where less that what you were quoted.
Rand

slaytop

The 614's seem to be the tire of choice for the heavier units with G rated wheels and 7,000 lb. axles. The price is high at $350 each and is most likely more tire capacity than you need on your unit.

grizzlygiant

I put G614's on my BH 3400 and run them at 90psi. No complaints after 6000 miles to date....and the big factor is NO WORRIES! I of course hade steel stems installed. The factory told me the aluminum rims were rated for 110 psi. Four of the 614's cost me $699 installed after the trade in of the new oem Mission tires. I purchased them in Muskegon, Michigan.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the 3600Rl with 7000# axles. We have replaced the original china bombs with G614's because we need the G load capability. However, if we had a smaller unit with 6000# axles I would run the Michelin XPS...NO QUESTION! Used them on previous trailers and they are IMHO the best tire in the E load category!

I only wish Michelin would come out with a G load tire I could use...have used Michelins on all our trucks, etc...never, EVER had a tire problem in more than 15 years!!!

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
GY G614 tires

Just got back from a short 600 mile round trip to Elkhart, IN on my new Goodyear G614 tires. I took a couple short trips since I got the tires, but this was the first longer trip using the big road. I have noticed our 3600RL rides smoother, trails straighter, corners better, and stops smoother. I have them at 110lb as stated on the sidewall. We are seriously considering trading up to the new Landmark Augusts, and I will only accepted the new unit with Goodyear tires. A previous post suggested making the tire issue the deal maker - Goodyear tires or no deal.

nhunter

The prices are higher in Canada but Fountain Tire has there 4 for 3 sale on till the end of the month which will help quite a bit. Don't know if Sundre has a Fountain Tire but Dead Rear has a few.

chardel

On the units with the 6000 lb axles, is there any benifit to having the "G" rated tires (extra margin of safety, better ride, longer lasting or such?) rather than the Michelins "E" xps rib? There has been so much discussion about the tires and wondered if "more capacity" is actually better or just more expensive?

osims

bsims
I had michelin XPS ribbed installed on the 3055 yesterday and was surprised to learn they are made in the United Kingdom. After that I started looking at my other trailers and trucks. The goodyear workhorse tires on the cattle trailer made in Peru, the general tires on the dodge made in Mexico, the tires on ford truck goodyear silent armour made in USA. I was begining to think none were made in USA.

chardel

I e-mailed Goodyear about the 614's and was told that my rims with are 16 x 6J with 3750 max load & 110 pressure max stamped on them (alum. 8 lug rims from Heartland) were too small for the 614's as the 614's require a minimum width of 6.5". Had found a really good price for the the 614's on sale and was seriously considering them until I got the e-mail from Goodyear. From the posts, it appears that some may be successfully runing the 614's on the same rims I have as I think the only heavier rims come on the 3600 & 3640's, but maybe not?

sidney dreyfus

What is the wheel of the 3670 wheel? 6" or 6.5"? Have any of you goodyear g 614 owners had any problems in regard's to a 6" wheel width?

Paul & Nan

dWe just went over 1000 miles with new G614 GoodYears on our 06 3500 RL and all was well. We did not notice better ride, etc, as others have indicated, but maybe that was because I 57 and I 24 from Illinois to TN were in a sad state. We had a good time on the trip anyway, saw one Heartland rig, it had just been picked up in GA, it was at Camping World in Chattanooga.

Nan

duchbour

Tires, Tires, Tires!!!!!!

I have a Bighorn 2008, 3670RL. I have it since July 25,2007. I am stuck at Verde Valley, Arizona, about 100 miles north of Phoenix because of the tires on my fifth-wheel. I have 3000 miles with those tires and I have bubbles in two of them and I cannot find a dealer who has those tires. Nobody knows that brand, GOLDWAY, MADE IN CHINA????? I have made a lot of phones call at Phoenix, Prescott and Flagstaff and GOLDWAY is unknown. Heartland company denies any responsibility. I am on my own and I will pay 1300,00$ to have good and secure tires. I bought 4 Goodyear tires, G614 RST and I will have them installed next Friday. I know that a lot of people have problems with Chinese tires and may be it is about time to give the information to new buyers about those tires. I will be in Arizona for all winter and I have the intention to go to every RV show to tell people : do not buy this fifth-wheel with those tires, you will have problems for sure and you will have to pay to solve your problem because the company refuses responsibility. Heartland pays less for the tires, when problems occur, wash their hands and the owner has to solve the problem buying new tires. Bubbles is not a road hazard, it is bad quality.

JEAN-PIERRE
Montreal, Québec, CANADA

Scott

JEAN-PIERRE,
First of all I am sorry that one of the tires on your fifth wheel developed a bubble. Our tire manfufacturers will step up and replace this tire at no cost to you. A bubble is not something they can argue about. You state that "Heartland washes our hands.." This is not correct. If you are unable to do so yourself, we will make the phone call for you to the tire mfg. to replace the tire.
For the Record - odds are VERY high that the Goodyear tires you purchased for replacement were made in China, and that's according to the GoodYear rep himself.
If you read a recent post I put on this forum - it is simply not true that Heartland or any other RV manfacturer that we know of, is just putting cheap tires on coaches. Have there been some tire failures? Yes. Just as there have been with GoodYear tires (read some other brands forums sometime..). I wish GoodYear were the "magic bullet" for our industry, but they are not at this time.
ST

Forrest Fetherolf

Scott said:
JEAN-PIERRE,
First of all I am sorry that one of the tires on your fifth wheel developed a bubble. Our tire manufacturers will step up and replace this tire at no cost to you. A bubble is not something they can argue about. You state that "Heartland washes our hands.." This is not correct. If you are unable to do so yourself, we will make the phone call for you to the tire mfg. to replace the tire.
For the Record - odds are VERY high that the Goodyear tires you purchased for replacement were made in China, and that's according to the GoodYear rep himself.
If you read a recent post I put on this forum - it is simply not true that Heartland or any other RV manufacturer that we know of, is just putting cheap tires on coaches. Have there been some tire failures? Yes. Just as there have been with GoodYear tires (read some other brands forums sometime..). I wish GoodYear were the "magic bullet" for our industry, but they are not at this time.
ST

Scott @ Heartland,

It is a known fact that we, the Heartland owners, are very skeptical of these China built "never heard of" and "can't find the dealer" tires. Wouldn't it be less time consuming for Heartland and the owners, if you used a tire that is recognized across the United States and Canada?
A poll was taken earlier and all that responded would pay more for better tires on their rig.
It is scary enough for most people pulling their rig down the road and hoping nothing will go wrong..........then a tire explodes, damages the RV, and they are stuck in the middle of nowhere unable to find a local tire dealer that carries these "never heard of" tires.
Good customer service is to give your customers what they want and charge a fair price................both become winners. Why not?

Forrest

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Forrest and Scott, I am willing to run the tires I have, but our coach probably sat at the dealer for a long time before we bought it. I know from all the posts that the sitting is one of the worst things you can do to the tires. Any comments on what do do while stored, jack up axles, which I heard is not good for the axles.

jpmorgan37

Bob;
I know you didn't ask me, but the information that has come from several tire manufacturers is, if you are parked for any period of time, put the tires on boards since parking on cement, asphalt or even gravel will leach some of the natural oils out of the tires, making them more brittle and subject to premature failure. Here is one website: http://www.kendausa.com/specialtytires/Safety_Tips.pdf

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JP, thanks for the in put. Boards are a good idea, plus easier that having to jack up the coach. But I thought that the flexing of the tires,while sitting also can cause failures. You know where the tire looks squishy at the bottom when stopped. Breaks down the sidewalls. Bob :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I believe the flexing you are refering to means if the tire is hanging over the edge of a board. This could stress the carcass and or steel belts. The entire footprint of the tire should be supported by the board.