Traveling with a dog

TXTiger

I travel alone and am considering getting a dog as a traveling companion. How do you handle leaving the RV park for day trips and local excursions and leaving your dog at the campground? Do you leave them inside the 5th wheel or tied up outside? Do you leave the A/C on in your rig all day? Of course they must have access to water at all times, how do you cover this need? Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

TeJay

We've traveled with dogs and cats with three RV's. Cats are not a problem but dogs can be. We've always trained our dogs to stay in a crate when we are gone. They can be bladder trained to go up to 10 hours before another potty break is necessary. The dog goes out around 10 and is good until 7 or 8 in the morning. That's 9 plus hours. However they have to be trained to do that and our experience is they will have to be over 1 year old before they can go that long. The crate training is absolutely necessary. When dogs are allowed to go in and out a doggy door as their choice they will never be trained for long periods without going potty. That training starts when they are pups. If you were thinking of a rescue dog you won't know how they were raised or treated and that would open you up for some concerns. We are on our second Golden and we raised both from pups. Neither one were problems when traveling. Get yourself a good dog training book and follow their methods. The newer training methods do work. Cesar Milan is one of the better dog trainers and he has some real good books but there are others. My brother still thinks rubbing their nose in their accident and beating them is the way to do it. That's how our Dad raised dogs so that's what he does. If you use the crate method they can't ruin things in your camper with their need to chew. We've heard dogs barking while left alone. Usually their owners think the dogs is good but they aren't their to hear them bark. I would also stay away from the high strung Terrier breeds. Those types are barkers and it's real tuff to stop them. Find a breed you want and see how the breeder treats them. Are they laid back and kind to the pups?? Our current dog is a Golden/Cocker mix. They are also called Comfort Golden's. She is very laid back, quiet, and a wonderful pup. She won't get over 40 lbs.
JMTCW
TeJay

wino2

Get what you want and if you can rescue DO IT!!!!!!!!. We have two rescues and couldn't have ask for better dogs than what they have tuned out to be. Just like a truck, trailer and anything else you purchase you will get a lot of negative feedback, and positve. Ignore the negative. Every breed has a rescue organization don't Count A Rescue Out!!!!!!!. There is a quote on this forum by someone we have all ask for help at onetime I believe. "RESCUE WHY BUY WHEN SO MANY DIE". Hope this helps. By the way my rescues are both Terrier Breeds not high strung at all. Cesar Milan also states the dogs aren't the problem the owners are. They know when they have been rescued and their love is unbelievable. We leave our A/C on and plenty of water. Haven't come back to any messes just HAPPINESS. If we are just going sightseeing they go with us. We will pack a lunch and couple of snacks for them. They have seen a lot of National Parks, stayed at a cabin in Banff and have been all the way to Jasper in Alberta. Haven't said which trip they like best but know they have enjoyed all of them. BTW they aren't crate trained. You and your dog will figure out what to do.
Melinda

Carmenh

+1 for rescues! A legit one will have likely had the dog in a foster home for a while and have a good idea of what he's like. They be pretty good at determining if he will suit your lifestyle because they'll ask YOU a lot of questions. And they won't BS you because they know if it doesn't work out, they'll get him back!

Carmen (American Eskimo Dog rescue)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In our 43 years together, Lin & I have never been without a dog or two. Just before we retired and started the RV lifestyle, we lost our rescued Heinz 57 and were left with our Golden Retriever, Suzi. We crate trained her because it was the easiest way for us as a working couple. No regrets about crate training. She's now nearing 16 years old and requires a little more care and we don't leave her alone for more than 4 hours or so. She's not had any accidents so far. We bring her with us if we can and when we leave her in the truck for any length of time the A/C is running or the windows are cracked depending on the weather and temperature.
Most RV parks don't allow unattended pets to be tied outside but if you've been in a park any length of time, you probably know someone that is willing to walk your dog as needed. For travel overnight, I suppose kennels are available in most areas.
Now that Lin & I are a bit older, once Suzi passes, we're not too sure if we'll start with another puppy. Rescue is an option we'll consider but it would have to be the right dog for us. I want to be active enough to give a dog a good companion.

Paul & Nan

Yes, rescue, and I can reccommend Small Paws Rescue.org. That is for Bichons, we foster for them and have two Bichons. They are fairly small, 20lbs or less, and are good travelers. Our boys often stay in the rig, sometimes for 8+ hours without a problem. They have their crates but mostly are in them at night so we all sleep better. Our Jake went on our 45 day caravan thru Western Canada and Alaska 3 years ago and he mostly did better than we did. He only objected at the end as he was tired of being in the truck every day on the last few days getting home.

Do not ever leave a pet outside in an RV park unattended for more than a few minutes, for both the well being of those around you, and most of all for the well being of your pet. Besides being unkind to your pet l it is not allowed anywhere I have ever been. It would be like leaving a small child uncared for in a strange environment. We leave windows open slightly and the Fantastic fan going unless it is very warm, then the AC in that case. We usually leave blinds closed where the boys can see out so there will be no barking at other dogs. Those around us assure us that the boys do not bark while we are gone, so that is a good thing. They are both well house trained and can, if need be, go 8-10 hours, but we t y not to require that. If a dog is crate trained they usually will not potty in the crate, but you want your pet to not be to so restrained during the day, if possible, we think. Our boys sleep in their crates at night.

Most of all do what will make you happy in your travels. Hope to see you down the road. Jake and Rocky say WOOF

donr827

We have been traveling with our dog for 8 years. She is an excellent dog. She can go 11 hours without a potty break. She seems to cut down on the water consumption when we leave the trailer for the day. We do leave the radio or tv on to reduce the amount of outside noise that she hears. She was also crate trained.
Don

Yup

Please rescue, we did for 5 years with 350 to 400 adoptions to good families and still have 6 with us.

lwmcguir

We have a Westie named "Tessie" that we received as a rescue puppy. She loves to travel and does very well in the TV or Coach. Really don't like to stay by herself but does and sleeps until we get back. Turned out to be one of the family.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, Callie was rescue pup and has never been a problem if we leave her in the Horn. We leave the TV on (animal planet) she has her toy bucket and she does fine. She always does a pee-pee break before we go. She has food,water and has never chewed anything or pottied in the trailer. Its just all how your train them. Rescue dogs give the most love.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony,
I think a dog would be perfect for you. Like others have said, rescue is the only way to go. I have had dogs my whole life and my best dog ever, was a rescue brindled Akita.

Now we have two Yorkies, along with our Amazon parrot of 30 years. .

We have trained our dogs to go on "potty pads" when we are away from the rig and we can't take them. It's a great option to do when they are young.
If we are at the rig, they do their business outside if they want to. If it's late at night they go on the pads. It beats getting up in the night, or watching for coyotes. And yes, contrary to many people's beliefs, coyotes will gang up on big dogs at times, so watch it.

If you get a semi small one he/she can ride on they Harley with you.

There is a dog out there for you and you will know when you find him (or her). Good luck.

I forgot to say that our dogs are crate trained, but we usually let them stay out when we are away. Trace

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Tony, you remember Milo the Maltese. He is a great traveler TV and RV. Loves to go on walks and can stay in the RV up to 9-10 hours at a time, we dont like to do that but sometimes it happens. He is 8 and for sure crate train. Bette

tmcran

Humm,8-10 hrs without potty break..How humane is that? How many of you can go 8-10 hrs. We don't have dogs now. Just felt it was not fair to the animal to leave them for extended periods in confined spaces. We always tried to treat our dogs exactly as we would want them to treat us.

Sumo

We have 5 dogs that we travel with often. The 2 female can go 8 hrs with out a potty break but the boys go out every 4 to 6 hrs. And yes its a pain to let the dog out in the middle of the night. But it's better them peeing in the trailer.

porthole

Retired
Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

It is good to be nearby friendly RV neighbors that can keep watch for you as you start meandering away from the trailer.
Someone you can trust with your key.

Since you asked, and have a motorcycle - something I do when I or we go for a ride is put my trailer, campsite and emergency info on a card and place it in a holder/lanyard that I wear around my neck. I also add that we have 2 goldnes and a cat in the trialer and they are friendly but will need attention if something should delay our return to camp.

You can PM if you are interested in how we allow access if needed.