Looking to buy a Cyclone 3950---will my 2010 3500 SRW be ok?

ChrisRowe

Hey guys!!

My wife and I are looking to buy out first fifth wheel and are almost sold on a cyclone 3950 or 4000. We went by the local dealer and we are sold on the Cyclones!! Wow!! What a piece of work!! We were sold on the first look, so we worked out a pretty good deal and have to go back in a few days to finish upwith the dealer.
The only thing is I have never towed anything that big and am concerened that my 3500 SRW will not be enough. I tow on an almost a daily basis so I am not new to toying, I just have never towed anything that big. I know this is going to be right on the limit and maybe over the limit. I am just looking for opinions and hopefully some experience with towing one of these beasts with a SRW.
We will be using this TH a lot this summer as I plan on running some GNCC races this year!!

I know this has probably been beat to death, but just looking for some advice on whether or not we should finish up the deal or look at something else. (Can you say buyers remorse!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

danemayer

Hi ChrisRowe,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a great group of helpful and friendly people. When it comes to trucks, there's lots of passion, so look for lots of responses.

I'd suggest checking both the towing capacity and payload capacity on your 3500 as well as both the GVWR and pin weight on the Cyclone to see if you have a match. You should visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing for help figuring it all out.

You didn't mention whether you have a GMC or Dodge 3500. I don't want to start a brand war, but if you have a Dodge, you may find the 2010 3500 SRW payload is less than 3000 pounds, which is not enough for a large fifth wheel, you and your family, hitch weight, tools, etc.

BarneyFife

I had a 2009 F350 SRW when we bought our Cyclone. Big mistake. It pulled it really well but when I finally went to the scales, I was about 1000 lbs. too heavy on the rear axle of the truck. The truck had a rear GVR of 6900 lbs. and I was getting close to 8000 lbs.

In my opinion, pulling it won't be too big of a problem if you know how to tow safely. But the weight on the rear axle of the truck would scare me. It was a stupid mistake on my part and cost me a bunch of money at the Ford dealership three weeks after we bought the camper.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I am using a iPad so I have no idea where you are located. But the 3950 is almost the same as the 4100 but with less room in the suite. Camping World in Katy, Tx had a fully loaded 4100 including the 3rd A/C, 6pt leveling system, and every other option on it. They were trying to sell it last week at the Houston RV show for $**k. Pretty good deal though I think they sold it. But I am very sure they will do that same deal again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Last edited by a moderator:

blong

Chris, as everyone has stated you will be able to pull it but you will be overweight on the rear axle. We went thru the scales last summer with our 3950 and tipped them to the tune of #27,300 lbs. My big worry would be all that rear axle weight on a single pair of tires. A blow out would not be pretty. We have friends who pull their 3950 alot with a SRW GMC, and claim to have no worries, but I would not do it personally. DRW is the only way to go with that much pin weight.

scottyb

I will concur. I have been pulling my 4100 with a SRW 3500, because that is what I have. It pulls it with no problem but I feel like I am rolling the dice and I don't like the feel of it in any kind of cross wind. I will have a DRW before heading out again.