Longview,TX-Canton,oh. Concerned about bridges with no height clearance signs.

Upon traveling here I noticed bridges with no signs, which concerns me. I plan on taking nothing but interstate if i can. Anything i can do to avoid low bridges. Im traveling with a 2013 cyclone 4100 with a height of 13'3". Is there a law that states why they dont have signs ?

jimtoo

Hi krazeguate,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Some of the GPS units have a "truckers" option that will show all the underpasses and bridge clearances. With all the other mistakes I have seen on the GPS units I'm not sure I would trust that. So many roads the speedlimit is wrong.

Here in Texas I think that all underpasses and bridges have a posted clearance on them... some I have seen have it posted before you get to where you can't stop if it is unusually low.. below 13'6". In all our travels I really don't remember seeing a bridge or underpass on a state or major highway that was not posted for safe clearance.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

hoefler

Unposted bridges/overpasses are over 15' or 16'+, I don't remember the exact height, are not required. It is up to the individual states and their budget. If you travel the interstates, you can rest assured you won't encounter any low overpasses.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Congrats on the cyclone, fellow Texan! We are practically neighbors. (We are in Terrell, TX about an hour west.)

If you stay on Interstates you should not have issues. We have a Rand McNally GPS that let's us program in our height, and avoids roads where height might be an issue.

But we have not traveled much East, so I'm not sure what you'll encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I am correct all bridges on Federal highways (Interstates) must have at least 14' clearances. I know of one underpass on I45 in Huntsville, TX on the south side that has a clearance of 14'. Truckers do not have any problems with it and only the oversize loads go to the feeder road to avoid it. We have seen lots of the windmill propellers use the feeder to avoid that one but RV's have no issues with it. We have gone through it many times and we are 13'4". The NY turnpike does have some 13'5" and 13'8' ones but we encountered no issues there either. You can do a Google search for low clearance along you route if you are unsure or call the appropriate highway department for more information.

danemayer

There may be some ramps in the San Antonio area that have low clearance - less than 14'.

Be aware that if you get off the interstate, you could find low clearances nearby.

Allstays.com has a low clearance resource that might be helpful.

hriker

We use the 2013 Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas and Allstays app for my phone. The atlas provides the statutory height for each state and provides a listing of low clearance within each state by interstate highway number.

mobilcastle

My DW is the copilot and we carry a book we bought at a truck stop that shows low bridges. It comes in handy when planning your route.

slaytop

I hope you have a safe and enoyable trip to Canton, OH - my home town. I would enjoy meeting you there but, unfortunately, I can't because we are in Florida with our Landmark and won't be back until April.

Thank you everyone, so far have successfully made it to Cincinnati. Another question, where do you get those stickers of the United States and do you fill in states you have driven through And do the colors have meaning.

JawBreaker

If you are in the Canton area there are several rv shops, three which sell Heartland products, I have dealt with General RV in North Canton and they have always been great. Welcome to Ohio! Give me a shout if you need anything, I'm about an hour and a half away.