NT 22RBS Caliber Edition

Rogue9

We just ordered the 22FBS Caliber Edition and are trading in our Maxlite 24RS. Don't need the bunks anymore since our kids have all grown and left the nest. We loved our old camper but we really like the interior layout and storage of the NT 22 FBS, but I have a few questions. Is there a 12v outlet anywhere inside the camper? Also, does the tv work solely on 120v, or both 12v and 120v, or just 12v? It appears I need to change by Equal-li-zer WD hitch to the 1000 lb model. Anyone have any experience with this on the NT? I see the hitch frame is much lower but I suppose the brackets can be adjusted to take that into account.

Currently towing with an F-150 SC with the 5.4 engine and 3.73 gears and HD tow package. The NT weighs about 800 lbs more dry, than my old Maxlite.

We are very excited for the new camper and April won't come soon enough. 6 weeks to build we are told, plus I still need to wait to get our old camper out of timed storage.:(

Mark & Deb
Xena the Warrior Princess puppy.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Rogue9,

Congratulations on your order and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here along with a lot of friendly people who are quick to reach out with help when you need it. I'd expect some of your questions will get answered pretty quickly by other North Trail owners. If any are missed, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. They should be able to help with your questions about 12V outlets and the TV power sources.

pegmikef

The tv that came with my NT was 120 v (I use an inverter when boondocking). There is a 12 v outlet and 120 v outlet next to the location for the TV. I replaced the OEM tv with a larger one. Regarding the WD hitch. I use the EAZ-lift hitch and mine is adjustable. I used it on my Edge, and had to adjust it (raise the ball) when I bought the NT. I had to adjust it again when I went from an F150 to an F250. It is no big deal to adjust it. Mine requires that the ball height be an eighth an inch above the tongue ball cup for each hundred pounds of tongue weight so when you adjust yours be sure to check the hitch documentation for the correct height.

mbopp

Congrats! DW decided we really didn't need a couch so we got the 21FBS Caliber. It's still at the dealer, and yes we can't wait until April.

Rogue9

Woohoo! Completed the ordering paperwork on Saturday. The dealer did confirm the tv was 120v. Another surprise was he thought they might be able to just change the bars on my Equalizer hitch rather than me buying a complete new one. That would be a lot cheaper. I'm also having them leave off the contact paper 'backsplash.' I plan on installing some glass tiles to complement the solid surface counter top. I also asked them to see if the Factory could install an outside baggage door on the dinette slide for the middle of the dinette storage compartment. Not sure if this is possible or not due to the unknown framing in the slide wall. Seems like a no brainer for the factory to consider that as usable outside access space and just frame it out with the potential door in mind.

mbopp

I hear you. Our previous HTT had an outside access door to one of the dinette benches. Having an outside door on the back of the "U" dinette sure would be handy.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Woohoo! Completed the ordering paperwork on Saturday. The dealer did confirm the tv was 120v. Another surprise was he thought they might be able to just change the bars on my Equalizer hitch rather than me buying a complete new one. That would be a lot cheaper. I'm also having them leave off the contact paper 'backsplash.' I plan on installing some glass tiles to complement the solid surface counter top. I also asked them to see if the Factory could install an outside baggage door on the dinette slide for the middle of the dinette storage compartment. Not sure if this is possible or not due to the unknown framing in the slide wall. Seems like a no brainer for the factory to consider that as usable outside access space and just frame it out with the potential door in mind.
Page 5 of the equal-I-zer owners manual states that the spring arms are sized for the specific hitch head and will not function with a hitch head of a different rating. http://equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eqownersmanual_0111.pdf

Rogue9

Page 5 of the equal-I-zer owners manual states that the spring arms are sized for the specific hitch head and will not function with a hitch head of a different rating. http://equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eqownersmanual_0111.pdf

Yea, that's what I thought. Wouldn't make sense to have one standard hitch head with different sockets for the various size spring arms...it was a nice thought though. At least I found a new complete 1K / 10K unit for $450 shipped to my house. That's $250 cheaper than the dealer has for the same unit. Now I just have to find a good movable home for the old unit. Craigs list, here I come.

Appreciate the research and feedback!

Rogue9

Heartland said no to the outside baggage door for the dinette. Oh well, at least I asked. Seems to me to be an easy design fix for them by framing that slideout wall with a door in mind, whether one is actually installed or not. Good news, is we get to pick up the camper on May 16th. Our Dealer says it has a 2014 VIN. First camping trip will be for the Memorial Day weekend in northern Minnesota. Might need to use the furnace. lol The dealer is installing doors on the interior for the dinette for us, so that will at least give us some better access to the storage. Getting excited. Will probably do a driveway camp out the first weekend.

Last edited:

mbopp

Good idea on "camp driveway." It'll give you a chance to use all the systems and shake out any bugs.
I asked DW about doors on the dinette storage under the seats, she didn't think it was a big issue.
I may swap the doors over the bed side to side. That'll put the hinges on the inside of the bed so the dors won't hit you in the head when you open them. And with the Caliber hidden hinges the screw holes won't show.
We did have the dealer install gas springs on the bed storage lid.

smp2000

Congrats on your new unit! If you haven't already bought the new distribution hitch, try amazon. I got the 1,000# ez-lift kit for $189 with free shipping...

Rogue9

Congrats on your new unit! If you haven't already bought the new distribution hitch, try amazon. I got the 1,000# ez-lift kit for $189 with free shipping...

Thanks! I bought the Equalizer 1K/10K unit from adventurerv.net for $409. Regularly $579 and the dealer was selling it for $650. I really liked my old Equalizer with the 4 way sway control, and never had a problem with it for the 7 years I used it, so I am sticking with my comfort zone. Pricey but well worth it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thanks! I bought the Equalizer 1K/10K unit from adventurerv.net for $409. Regularly $579 and the dealer was selling it for $650. I really liked my old Equalizer with the 4 way sway control, and never had a problem with it for the 7 years I used it, so I am sticking with my comfort zone. Pricey but well worth it.
The 4way sway control and being able to backup without having to mess with the hitch or sway control are well worth the cost of the equalizer.