New Bighorn Owner Question

We just took delivery of our 2008 3670 Bighorn this past Friday. We went directly to a campground for our "shakedown" weekend. We were not able to find a switch to heat the hot water tank from propane. We don't use it a lot, but we've always had one on our previous units. Can anyone help?

P.S. It was too cool to pull into our campsite right next to another 2008 3670 that was only three weeks old. We had a blast comparing notes. We were at Harbortown RV Resort in Monroe, Michigan!!

jbeletti

Congrats on your new arrival. Yes, we can help.

Take a look at the image below. While your layout will look different, you should have the same rectangular white KIB monitor panel with the tank levels and the 3 switches. The red switch on the right is the switch for the Direct Spark Ignition propane water heater. Make sure your gas tanks have gas, that the valves are open and hit that switch. Done! Hot water soon :)

And, the water heater is dual fuel as well. It has an electric heating element in it. I use the electric element to heat the water about 98% of the time. Reason being is that in most CGs we stay in, electricity usage is a part of the nightly site rental. So why not use it?

You can run both the propane burner and electric element at the same time. In practice, I do this only when I need quick recovery - like 4 back to back showers etc. Have only done this 3 times in 3 seasons.

By the way, here's my practice for using the electric heating element:

1. After you are setup in the campground with the water connected, run the kitchen faucet on hot water until you are getting a steady flow of yet to be heated water from the hot tap. This ensures that the water heater tank is flooded or full of water past the level of the electric heating element.
  2. Go outside (a one-time item) and remove the water heater access panel (16" square vented panel).
  3. In the lower left corner of the water heater compartment, locate a small black rocker switch. Note that from the factory, it has a tiny cotter pin in it, preventing you from turning the rocker switch to the ON position. Remove this pin and store it where you can remember where it's at :) Turn the switch ON.
  4. Go back inside the trailer and find the wall switch that is has a red lighted switch handle. It will be a standard residential style wall light switch but with a red plastic handle. Switch it ON. The handle will light. good to go. Hot water very soon :)
  5. When you are done camping, as part of your shut down process, switch that switch OFF early in all of your processes. If you forget and leave it on and if for some reason you drain your water tank by any means (faucet, low drain point etc.) and if you plug back into shore power and that switch is ON, you will fry the electric heating element. You will likely never have it happen but it can occur (don't ask me how I know this :eek: ).

Have fun!

DSC03869.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks, Jim. I was thinking this was for the heating of the underbelly (artic package, or whatever it's called on Bighorn's.)

jddugan

As a brand new member of this forum for the last half hour I see that: "Please know that since you are a new user, your first two posts will be moderated. This is to help catch spammers that may infiltrate the forum. During this moderation period, some of the Forums features may not be available to you. Attachments, HOG, HOP, HOC among other things will be unavailable." I am not a spammer, don't want to be a spammer, just want to read everyone's posts and glean some useful information from all the experienced users.

jimtoo

Hi jddugan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I am sure you will find lots of information here and a great bunch of people.

Jim M

jddugan

Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to get to see some of the mods (photos and such) users have done. This forum looks to be a wealth of information.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Jim B..
Good post but I think he should remove the pin not the switch. :eek:

"3. In the lower left corner of the water heater compartment, locate a small black rocker switch. Note that from the factory, it has a tiny cotter pin in it, preventing you from turning the rocker switch to the ON position. Remove this switch and store it where you can remember where it's at :) Turn the switch ON."

BTW.. jddugan.. Welcome to the Forum. This is a great forum, great people on it and a great Mfgr. Lots of good info and friends here..

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
jcarson999,
Welcome to the Heartland family and Forum. As you can see we try like heck to help out a fellow owner. I am sure you will really enjoy your new rig. Great layout by the way.

Mark