what kind of hydraulic fluid

sanbullet

I was just trying to find out what kind of hydraulic fliud i should use in a 2012 cyclone front landing gear i would like to keep some extra. Also with slides out the hydo fluid bottle is below have is there a fill line on the bottle thxs for help

gebills

Hi sanbullet: I would expect that you have Lippert components in your Cyclone. I use a Dexron VI Auto Transmission fluid from O'Reilly's Auto parts. You should be able to find auto-trans fluid at about any auto-parts store. The following is a reprint from the Lippert Components 5th wheel hydraulic slideout and landing gear system service manual. This should give you the info you are looking for. gbills.

The​
[FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]Lippert Hydraulic Slideout and HLG System [/FONT][/FONT]uses automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Any ATF can be used. A full synthetic or synthetic blend works best such as Dexron II, Dexron III or Mercon 5. For best operation, fill system within 1” of the top when all slideouts and landing gear are completely retracted. The see through reservoir makes it easy to check oil level. It is recommended that the oil level be checked prior to operating the system. Make sure the breather cap is free of contamination before removing, replacing or installing. In colder temperatures (less than 10° F) the cylinders and jacks may extend and retract slowly due to the fluid’s molecular nature. For cold weather operation, fluid specially formulated for low temperatures may be desirable.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use the Dexron VI Auto Transmission fluid also as per Lippert instructions.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Your bottle will be low when the slides are out. Dont add any fluid, cause you can overfill the bottle.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I marked my reservoir levels with a Sharpie soon after I got the rig, both slides in and out. Easy visual check for any fluid loss that doesn't immediately show itself.
Only leak I've had was minor one at a seal on a slide selector valve at the pump.

centerline

any type of common hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid will work fine for the basic hydraulic systems used on RV trailers.... transmission fluid is sometimes preferred due to the red color that you can easily see in the reservoir or if there is a leak.....
some hydraulic/transmission fluids contain friction modifiers, and others do not, which DOES matter when putting it in your transmission, but not when being used in a simple hydraulic pump system....

I always carry a couple extra bottles of trans fluid for my tow vehicle, which also doubles as spare hydraulic fluid if needed.....