Party deck for the 321?

TravisJen

Hello, we have been looking at getting the 321 for our first toy hauler because it seems to have everything that we are looking for and the price is right. Our question is, can you had add a deck package to the ramp door as you can with the Cyclone and RW? I do not see it listed as an option so I am guessing it can not but maybe someone knows of a way it can be done?

Thank you!

jimtoo

Hi TravisJen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Heartland family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would suggest you check with your dealer or if you are not working with one yet, call Heartland customer service and ask for the Torque area to make sure if it can or cannot be added.

Enjoy the forum and hope you join our family.

JIm M

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Sorry we do not offer the ramp door patio on Torque because it has a 7' ramp door unlike the 8' ramp doors on Cyclone and Road Warrior.

cb1313

My dealer just ordered the cables and brackets and instlled them. Cb

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 156

TravisJen

cb, I'm kind of worried about the hardware pulling through the "non-reinforced" door. With the door being only 7', is there enough room to fit 4 people and a table?

cb1313

I'm not sure what a "non-reinforced" door is but you could but a small plate or large washers on the outside bolt holes to stop the bolts from pulling through. I will try to get some photos today. You may have to shorten the cable due to being a smaller door or move the door brackets higher up on the door.. I am not sure what you door ramp weight limit is but I would think that 4 people and table and chairs would be well below it's limit. There should be some door weight info on your trailer information sticker.
I think it cost me about $300 for the parts and dealer install.... BUT... I love the rear deck because it keeps me off the ground from dirt and bugs. I am sure you could purchase cables and hardware if you did it yourself and save some money.

Cb
about the 4 people. I would set up your chairs and stuff in the driveway and then see if you can fit them in the space of your door.

Last edited:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
4 people is a squeeze even with the 8' doors. It will do 2 very comforatably and allow the use of recliner style chairs. If you use standard chairs, you might be able to get 4 squeezed in, but everyone will be right on the edge.

cb, I'm kind of worried about the hardware pulling through the "non-reinforced" door. With the door being only 7', is there enough room to fit 4 people and a table?

HornedToad

I have a Torque SS 321 and looked into adding a ramp patio, I decided against pursuing a homemade kit based on the attached info from Lippert http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120:patio&Itemid=80

"Patio railing kits can only be installed at the manufacture level. Because of the nature of the ramp door, no kit can be retrofitted as an aftermarket application."

Post some pics if you get it figured out!!!

*Patio railing kits can only be installed at the manufacturer level. Because of the nature of the ramp door, no kit can be retrofitted as an aftermarket application.

*Patio railing kits can only be installed at the manufacturer level. Because of the nature of the ramp door, no kit can be retrofitted as an aftermarket application.

cb1313

cable and hardware Cb

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 143

HornedToad

cable and hardware Cb

The comments on the Lippert site had scared me off of trying the homemade ramp patio...

but CB's photo's make it look like a fairly simple and easy fix with parts you should be able to find at the hardware store.
I've also seen some older ramp patio's that use stabilizer jacks like these for additional support...
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Domar/TJ01RT.html

The 8ft ramp door on a Road Warrior is designed (reinforced?) to add the patio option, while I think the issue with the 7ft ramp on the Torque is that, to quote TravisJen & others, it is "non-reinforced". I believe the sticker in my garage rates the ramp @ 1500 lbs and the garage @ 2500 lbs capacity. So to overload that ramp, the 4 people that For20hunter says we could get up there would have to be some pretty big old boys.

Wouldn't you think it's safe to say if you can drive a 1500 lb toy up the ramp, the wife and kids should be able to sit out on it???

danemayer

Wouldn't you think it's safe to say if you can drive a 1500 lb toy up the ramp, the wife and kids should be able to sit out on it???
Hi Mike,

I'm not an engineer, but I wonder if cables to the corners will spread the load the same as the full width of the ramp resting on the ground.

There may be other considerations besides whether it can safely support the wife and kids. One of the risks when you undertake a modification is that you're out on your own. If you subsequently have a problem with the ramp - any problem - the risk is that you won't get any warranty coverage. It won't matter if you think the problem is unrelated to the modification.

cheska

Hi I was thinking of going a different way with my 261. I was thinking of jack stands on each side with a 2x4 (2x6 ?) supporting the complete underside
of the door. I did purchase a used screen room for it but have not used it yet. But the 8' verse 7' issue may be a challenge but for $100 bucks I can make it work. Good luck.