furnace filter

diva

we have a 09 pinehurst ,would like to install furnace filter, we are full timers and think it would keep the unit cleaner, got any ideas. thanks

danemayer

Hi diva,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here, including a manuals section. If by chance you need a copy of the Suburban Furnace manual, here's a link.

If the filter reduces return airflow enough, you may create intermittent furnace problems including lockouts. In order to protect you, the safety mechanisms may intermittently interpret the reduced airflow as a problem and prevent the furnace from coming on. And of course this is most likely to happen at 3AM on a very cold night.:)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I believe that it has been said on the forum it's not a good idea. My thoughts are.....how would you attach it. Our BH has a wood return air vent grill, If you put it behind the grill, what would keep it from being sucked into the fan?

TeJay

Here's what I did on our NT. Check your furnace manual to determine the minimum number of square inches for the fresh air return. That is usually the screen located on the front of the furnace compartment. Ours listed, if memory serves me right about 60-100 Sq.inches of surface area needed to supply return air. Since that is the return air why not install a filter in that same location? The square inches on our screen cover was over 200". So placing a filter, which does restrict the flow some, would then filter the incoming air which would then be circulated in the camper after it went through the furnace. I also placed foam acustic tile inside the furnace compartment to reduce the noise level. You can get some ideas from this web sight, www.modmyrv.com
TeJay