ATF: Landmark - Curbside slide

Snowtek

The outer skin of the curbside slideout is starting to peel off. This appears to have been glued to a sheet of plywood. Pieces are comimg off and are interfering with the with the slide being able to entirley close. Sometimes the slide even tries to comeout while being towed. Is this a warranty problem, even though I have had the unit 2 1/2 years. I feel that these floors should last longer than this! What can I do to get it fixed?

danemayer

Re: ATF: Landmark - durbside slide

Hi Snowtek,

Sorry you're having this problem. Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN # ready. You might start the discussion by asking for advice on how the problem can be fixed and for thoughts on what might have caused it. You probably ought to have some pictures ready to email because they might need to see the issue before giving a good answer. After you have an understanding of what's going on and what's needed to repair the problem, you can move into a discussion of whether it's normal wear and tear and whether Heartland is willing to help you with the repair.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: ATF: Landmark - durbside slide

Are you talking about the floor of the slide or the outside wall?

Snowtek

Ac tually it is the outer skin of the floor that is starting to delaminate. I think i caught it before it got the dry rot but there is sure a lot of skin coming off. I started removing the delaminated stuff in prep for repair and the more I removed the wetter it got. Most of the moisture seems to be concentrated on the outside edges. I have reached the point where I don't feel comfortable trying to fix it my self. So will call in the experts. Thanks for your replys.

danemayer

If it's wet, you're dealing with water infiltration. You absolutely need to find the source before repairing, or the same thing will happen again.

Birchwood

A few months after we purchased our Landmark I noticed the plywood delamination and applied black silicone at the edges to seal the floor.I guess this step was missed by the Heartland manufacturing group.

No problems since!

Snowtek

I believe it is a water absorption issue as there are no water lines any where near this slide and all the moisture seems to be coming from the outside edges of the slide. Yes I am talking about the black material on the bottom side of the slide floor, the part that is exposed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a leak along the edge of the slide as well. I had a wet floor on the side of the slide.
I found that I needed to re-caulk the window. I did the top and both sides of the window. No more leaks.
So what I am saying is that the leak may not be at the bottom edge of the slide.
After each rain fall I check the floor in the rig for any leaks around the slides and windows.
I caught the leak before there was any damage.

Peace
Dave

Snowtek

Well after further ivestigation I not only found some dry rot but discovered where the water was geetin in at. I think it may be fixable but I want to see what Heartland has to say. I've got to tell you, with all of the problems this rig has had I'm not sure I'll buy another Heartland product.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Snowtek,

Sorry to hear that you are having all of the problems with your RV. I know that can be frustrating and even infuriating sometimes, however, speaking from experience, there are no RV's on the market that there are not some problems and things that go wrong. I will say from experience, that between Heartland RV's and Heartland Owners Club, I have never found or heard of a brand that is more like a family and treats their owners with the utmost respect. Although they are in the business to make money, they truly care and have made and continue to make changes on how their products are manufactured as they discover the problems. Everything is cost vs. benefit. Again, I am not trying to minimize what you are going through and the issues that you have had and continue to have with your Landmark, however, I truly believe that going elsewhere is not going to solve your problems or get you a "better product". I would suggest that you take lots of pictures and contact Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 and make sure you have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) with you when you call. As for someone on the Landmark line end of customer service and warranty and see if you can't develop a dialog with someone to send your pictures to in an attempt to resolve the issue. Good luck!

Rod Ditrich

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Snowtek, the water can sometimes get in under the plastic edging at the bottom of the slides. That is an area that needs to be watched for the claulking going bad. Yours should however, come down to the bottom of the slide walls and go under the cover that area. In other words, it should be "L" shaped. There was alot of discussion on the forum about this a few years back.

hoefler

Read this thread on the subject; //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...de-floor-de-lamination?highlight=delamination I have done this repair with aluminum fascia. Not a difficult job.

Snowtek

I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice and apologize for taking so long to respond. The good news is that with the rather generous help of heartland I got the slide floor replaced at no cost to me. I have to tell you, this is the 2nd majotr problem I have had with this rig and Heartland has come thru both times, so I guess I am a lifetime fan now.