backup camera

ILH

There has been some discussion elsewhere (not on this forum) that the various governments will be mandating rear-view cameras on all new vehicles at some point in the near future. If this happens, it makes sense to tie-in to the tow vehicle's display to show the rear-view angle. Hopefully RV manufacturers will see this as a smart option.

K

karykatz

Landmark offers a back up camera option. We can build bighorns with this as a special build option. Please contact dealer is you are ordering your bighorn.

Hope this helps

dave10a

There are many backup camera's available on Ebay and Amazon. You can insatall one either hard wired or wireless. Also they are available with distance markers and night vision capability. Wireless is most likely the best way to go, but the most expensive-- especially if you need a range extender for a long trailer. Hearland, as mentioned, offers one, but it would be nice if they advertised the price and type rather than being surprised with sticker shock at the dealer :). The more fingers you can keep out of your pocket the better deal you can get. Magellan offers one that is compatible with their GPS system, but I don't know how good it is and may need a range extender for large trailers because it was designed for automobiles in mind and not 5th wheels.

Phatkd

If anyone has any suggestions for a wireless RV application that would be fantastic. I have been thinking about getting one for the last little while. I just don't know what model would suite our needs??

JeffG1947

We have the Voyager Digital Wireless system on our 38' 5ver and love it. Model WVOS511. It comes with a color monitor. I believe cost is $700 plus installation (should be about 1 hour) if you have it done. The camera also picks up sound when someone is giving backup instructions (volume is adjustable on the monitor). I keep it on all the time so I've got a great rear view when driving. I have found that backing up into a site with distinct shadows (e.g. late in the afternoon) can be problematic as the camera has trouble with bright and dark areas at the same time - part of the view can be over or under exposed. That's one reason why I'd not recommend relying solely on the camera when backing up - either have a 'talker' or make frequent visual checks yourself to double check what you're seeing on the monitor. I didn't have one on our old travel trailer but definitely wouldn't be without one now.

dave10a

If anyone has any suggestions for a wireless RV application that would be fantastic. I have been thinking about getting one for the last little while. I just don't know what model would suite our needs??

I can't recommend one because I have no experience with one. I am looking to get a camera with transmitter/receiver that will work with my Magellan 7 inch GPS. Magellan offers one for less the $150, but it will not suit my needs. My requirement is that it must work in day and night mode, have distance markers, color and transmit well enough to work with my 40ft trailer. There are several under $250 that will do that, I am still looking and will make my mind up in a few weeks. My installation issues will be to wire it in. My challenge will also include to switch on the video so the Magellan GPS will automaitically switch from GPS to video when required :) It is a simple design change.

FiremanBill

I really want to get one too hard to choose when they range in price so much. I mean if one that cost under $200 works ok what is the advantage of spending $700 on one. Would really like to see a brand to brand comparison somewhere.

We used to have just a generic one, 3 inch colour screen, nothing fancy worked good. Although it was supposed to be wired into the reverse lights of the truck to only function in reverse i wired it straight to the running lights so it was always on, that way i could watch while driving. Only issue was it used the same signal as many wireless products too, so driving through town id pick up store security cameras, baby monitors, etc.

dave10a

I really want to get one too hard to choose when they range in price so much. I mean if one that cost under $200 works ok what is the advantage of spending $700 on one. Would really like to see a brand to brand comparison somewhere.

The price of under $200 I mentioned does not include the display because my Magellan GPS will handle that display because it is compatible with Video signals via its external input. When a signal is present it automatically switches out of the GPS mode to display the incoming video.

FiremanBill

The price of under $200 I mentioned does not include the display because my Magellan GPS will handle that display because it is compatible with Video signals via its external input. When a signal is present it automatically switches out of the GPS mode to display the incoming video.

That is nice Thanks for the clarification. I have seen others though that are in the $100 range even. I know as well as anyone that you get what you pay for but what are the real differences. An apples to apples comparison of some of them would be nice to see.

Phatkd

I'm looking at the Voyager 5.5 inch display one for $639 at rvupgrades. Does anyone have any feedback on this model?

Steadfast

I'm looking at the Voyager 5.5 inch display one for $639 at rvupgrades. Does anyone have any feedback on this model?
I installed Voyager model number VWOS511 on our BH3670RL. This unit works well most times, but does freeze occasionally. It is wireless from the back of the coach to the cab. Unless you use external antennas and have line of sight, the signal will need to reflect off of objects off to the side. If there are no objects, the signal will drop out. Even with the occasional drop out, I am glad to have it.
I find it is most useful to me while passing other vehicles.
Make sure you have a good ground connected.

Craig

hoopers2

This is the OP. Thanks everyone for the input. I know about the Voyager and my be getting one. I ordered my bighorn late last year and have already taken delivery.

FWIW, my dealer was somewhat clueless (or didn't inform me) of any ANY order-able options, beyond what is order-able on their standard order sheets. i.e. G614 tires, backup camera, etc.

I probably would have ordered a backup camera, if I knew. But honestly, the wireless Voyager systems are pretty sweet, so they may be better anyway than what Heartland is offering.

brianharrison

I installed the Voyager on my Landmark last year and have no complaints. I have not experienced any signal issues. Since my install Voyager has come out with the model with receiver with the ability to convert signal to any external AV input (ie my OEM Navscreen in my truck). That is what I would lean towards today if I was to do it again.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2