Disappointing find while switching out microwave

Vtxkid

The DW had asked several times so I decided to switch out the standard size microwave for a nice GE Profile microwave/ convection oven in our Cyclone. Was in the process of removing the old unit by removing the two top fasteners and realized that 1) both of the fasteners were seriously loose. 2) When HL installed the microwave, they installed the top right fastener into to hole of the unit with no filler block in the cabinet. They didn't even have a drilled hole for the far right hole which should have been used ( which would of had filler block). The damage to the counter; oven and microwave could of been ugly if the left fastener would of came completely loose because the right fastener wasn't going to support anything with the way it was installed. As easy as it is the check these fasteners, I would recommend to all that you check these top fasteners to ensure your unit is secured properly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jbeletti

Jerry,

Sorry to hear about this. Glad you found it. This morning, I passed this along to the Director of Production and Brand Manager for Cyclone. They will review the line to ensure we are hitting the mark.

Thanks for letting us know.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Glad you caught that Jerry. Nice follow up Jim! I've checked a few items like that in ours before and everything seems secure, but it sure it worth a double check.

travis_g

I would like to add a +1 to this. In my RW415 the microwave was held in by only the top two screws. After our first 100+ mile trip I opened the door to the bottom of the microwave swinging out the opening. Upon further inspection, the bottom two screws were screwed in but only grazed the top edge of the frame. A couple more bumps and it could have ripped out of the top holes and fallen completely out. I added a block underneath the microwave to give it some support in the back and then adjusted and reattached all four screws making sure they all four had a good bite into the frame.

I understand the line crew is trying to get units completed as fast as possible, but I think we would all prefer waiting a little longer to ensure good build quality. When you rush, that's when you make mistakes. :)
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

traveler44

We have the Apollo Half Time Oven and I just looked at it and it has a black frame around the oven- microwave. I tried tugging lightly on the frame and all of the screws felt pretty solid to me. Are these loose brackets behind the outside frame or something? Tom

Vtxkid

We have the Apollo Half Time Oven and I just looked at it and it has a black frame around the oven- microwave. I tried tugging lightly on the frame and all of the screws felt pretty solid to me. Are these loose brackets behind the outside frame or something? Tom
I'm not sure about the mounting on a half time oven, but on a microwave & microwave/ convection type oven, there is a mounting plate on the back wall which has tabs on the bottom of that frame which fit into the unit. The unit is angled during install to place the slots onto these tabs, afterward, you swing the front of the unit up to the top cabinet and that's where these fasteners are installed (top front) which are in question. To check these fasteners, try to lift the front of the MW up and using a screwdriver, check the tightness of these fasteners. If you find that the cabinet shelf appears to be collapsing, then it is possible that there is no filler block in between the cabinet panels at that locating so you need to stop tightening that one. The two outside fasteners toward the ends of the MW should have filler block so these fasteners need to be tight. Up to 3 fasteners could be installed. However, 2 are sufficient IF both are installed toward the edge of both sides of the unit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jbeletti

Glad you caught that Jerry. Nice follow up Jim! I've checked a few items like that in ours before and everything seems secure, but it sure it worth a double check.

Thanks Gus - the plant went into "check mode" immediately after being notified. Pretty confident they are focused on this such that it should not be happening now.