2010 F350 4x4 CC SRW

danemayer

Hi TCramer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's loads of helpful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people who are quick to reach out with advice and help.

Matching the tow vehicle and the trailer comes down to towing capacity and payload. The trailer GVWR (15,500 for the Elkridge) has to be matched by the 5th wheel towing spec for the tow vehicle. The pin weight is listed as 2070, but that's empty and without adding any options to the rig - it's not hard to get to 3000 actual. You should look up the specs on your Ford to find out if you have a match. Fifth Wheel Safe Towing can help you figure this out with precision.

That's the long answer. The short answer is that your 2010 F350 will probably do fine.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pull our Big Country 3652RL with a 09 Dodge diesel, 4x4, single rear wheel with no problems. As long as you drive with common sense, you shouldn't have any problems. But trying to drive like a race car driver no matter what type of trailer your pulling, just isn't safe.

MTPockets

Our pin weight loaded is a bit over 2800 lbs. Add 2 passengers, full fuel tanks, hitch, some tools, and we are right at maximum payload of 3600 lbs. on our 2012 F350 SRW ... Check your door tag to see your posted payload.

scottyb

Your rear tires will be the limiting factor.

If it has 20" wheels, the tires rating will be significantly higher than 17's and a little higher than 18's. I just discovered this on my wifes new F250. The Michellins that came on it are rated at 3750 lbs.

lwmcguir

If it has 20" wheels, the tires rating will be significantly higher than 17's and a little higher than 18's. I just discovered this on my wifes new F250. The Michellins that came on it are rated at 3750 lbs.[/QUOTE About the only way to stay legal with SRW is to have the 20's. Otherwise you have to load very carefully. Glad you have them. We ordered them after running the weights and using Doug's calculator. It showed the weak point was going to be the rear axle and with the heavier package on the truck the tires became the issue. Only down side is the replacement cost of the 20's. Actually looking at going to Firestones due to the price of the Michelins.

scottyb

Actually looking at going to Firestones due to the price of the Michelins.

I can't speak for the mileage on these 20" Michellins yet, but I have been running the same tire in 17" for the last 2 sets on my 3500. They have far exceeded (1.5x) any other tire I have ran over the last 30 years. I got 64K from the 1st set and have 45K on the current set that will be traded in Fri. I was usually looking at replacing tires at 40K before the Michellins came along. In my book, the cost/mile is less on the Michellins than any tire I have ran. Unfortunately the 2013 F350 DRW I am picking up Fri does not have Michellins on it. It will at the 1st replacement.

EandJ

I agree with Scotty with regard to the Michelins. They are worth the extra money. I got 95,000 miles on them on my old F-250. Then on my F-350, I put 105,000 miles on them before I replaced them last summer. Both had 16" tires. I replaced them with Coopers only because I knew I would be selling the truck and didn't want to sink that much money into tires that I knew I wouldn't get back on resale. (BTW - anybody wanna buy a 1997 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke? :D) On my Excursion, I put 18" Michelins back in November. I fully expect to get 75,000+ miles out of them also.