2008 Big Country 3490 BHS - does is have wood or aluminum roof trusses?

nalle09

Hello everyone,
we are looking to upgrade our 5th wheel and have found a very nice 2008 Big Country 3490 bhs.
Now I would like to find out which rafters where used then wood or Aluminum?
Maybe some knows it or has a Brochure and can help us out.

Thank you

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: 2008 Big Country 3490 bhs, has which rafters?

nalle09, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. It will be a guess for anyone to determine the rafter material. It would be best to get the VIN from the unit you are looking at and call Heartland Customer Service. They would be the best source. The reason for this is they made some changes back in 2007 and 2008 and it may have occurred mid production year.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

As Ray said - I would call Heartland. In the meantime I went and pulled the info on the 2008 Big Country we had and the description for the roof reads as:
Roof Construction
5" attic trusses for extra strength
walkable roof decking (3/8"), glued and screwed in place
One-piece seamless EPDM rubber roof
r-14 formaldehyde free insulation
moisture ventilation caps
Hope this helps.

hoefler

The trusses, I believe are welded aluminium. My 06 Landmark are aluminum, most of these rigs are aluminum for the strength and light weight.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For what it's worth, our 07 BH has aluminum rafters. They are doubled in the 2 locations for support of the A/C's. FOr us, the down side of the aluminum is the ability to retain the finishing nail used to hang the ceiling. We have 2 small areas that loosened up. I used small countersunk screws and painted the heads with white out to hide them. Also the trim pieces between ceiling panels has come down in a few spots. Same repair. You won't see the screws unless you know where they are. The good! Aluminum won't rot or decay due to any leakage and it's lightweight.