Problems? Solved :) Toilet making a whirring or roaring noise when flushed

twohappycampers

When flushing with the foot pedal, well, like I said, the toilet has started making what I can best describe as a whirring or low roaring noise from underneath somewhere. Anyone know if it's something we can fix ourselves or does it mean another call to the dealer? Is it best to stop using the toilet or is safe to continue to use it until it's fixed? - don't want a flood or anything. Thanks for any help you can give us.

Oh, there's been a lot written about a popping noise from people's rigs. Could there be any connection with that and the toilet noise? Just last night and again this morning there's been a noise that sounds like a plastic milk carton popping, you know how when you wash it out and put the lid on and it crackles or pops? We never heard that noise before and we've been sitting on this same spot for a year and a half. And the pops are getting louder. Why would they suddenly start up when we've never had that problem before?

danemayer

Re: Toilet making a whirring or roaring noise when flushed

Hi twohappycampers,

I would have to guess that noise while flushing is likely the valve in the toilet. Might be something you can remove to inspect (with water off).

The toilet manual might be helpful. We have a few toilet manuals in the TOOLS/MANUALS section of the forum. If yours isn't there, post the make and model and I'll see if I can find it.

BTW, I'm assuming the pump is off and you're on city water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Doug & Lorna, The popping noise related to the level up or landing gear is from the hydraulic front jacks. They are mounted at about a 5 degree angle. The noise is a single, fairly loud, pop or thud. It sounds like it's coming from under the bedroom/closet area. We all believe it's caused by the expansion and contraction of the hydraulic fluid when the weather/temperatures change quickly. The jack pads seem to be "slipping" and making the pop noise.

As for your toilet, not a clue from me. Like Dan mentioned, we're assuming your water pump is off? If it got turned on by accident, the pump noise could sound something like you've described.

twohappycampers

You're the best! A simple flick of a switch and VOILA! noise gone! So glad you thought to add the BTW. We are indeed on city water, and the pump switch had accidentally been turned on. Thanks again! Doug & Lorna

PS We've had several problems with our unit, sometimes it feels never-ending and gets frustrating, but knowing you guys are out there is what keeps us hanging on and hopeful. Really, it is great to have this forum to turn to. Shared problems are always lighter, aren't they?

danemayer

I don't know if "plastic milk carton" type popping is from the landing gear. Ours, when they make landing gear noise, sound pretty metallic. Our rig occasionally makes other noises that don't sound the same as the landing gear. But they're so infrequent that I've never pinned down where they're coming from. Always makes me wonder if something's coming apart, but then noises go away for a month. There's a lot of wood that expands and contracts and twists. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cabinet making noise. But who knows?

twohappycampers

Hi guys! I can't even begin to tell you how stupid I feel, especially knowing all the effort you've made to reply to my popping noise question. I had placed a large plastic Listerine bottle on the floor in the corner of the bathroom, right next to the heat vent. It was that sucker making the noise (the bottle), from being heated up when the furnace came on, and then cooling down. So you were right, it was "expansion" - just not the kind you'd think.

Guess this shows that if you go around saying "What next?!", your imagination will come up with something :rolleyes: Oh, well, at least I know my noises - didn't I say it sounded like a plastic bottle? Doug phoned from work to see if I'd found anything out about the toilet noises, and was happy to hear it was such a simple fix. I didn't tell him about the Listerine bottle - it will make for a good laugh when he gets home. - Lorna

donr827

Just be glad that your problems were easy fixes. We ALL have had these type of problems.
Don