Loft Ladder Mod.

oscar

As I posted in the design forum, the rungs, actually dowels, in the loft ladder are painful on the feet when not in shoes. We don't wear shoes in the camper, nor does my daughter, who will set up shop up there, want to don shoes when she has to go up or down the ladder. So I did a modification. 1x3 red oak, Minwax "Dark Cherry" stain. 2" self tapping finish screws, black (look like drywall screws but thinner with a drill tip on them). The risers pre-drilled with a counter sink bit. I left the dowels in place and rested the new treads on them for easy spacing and support.

As a side note, AJ, there were screws protruding from the outside into the ladder "box" scratching up the outside of the ladder. A quick dremmel grind and a wipe with a stain rag took care of it, but it is a QC issue.

Wood, stain and screws all Home Depot.

Before, after and folded. As you can see the mod does not interfere with the folding process. Much better now.

Attachments

• Ladder1.jpg
    Ladder1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Ladder2.jpg
    Ladder2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 844
  • Ladder3.jpg
    Ladder3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 710

porthole

Retired
As I posted in the design forum, the rungs, actually dowels, in the loft ladder are painful on the feet..............

Before, after and folded. As you can see the mod does not interfere with the folding process. Much better now.

Looks great Oscar.

At the last Goshen rally Cyclone factory tour I convinced one of the executives (Brian Brady's son I think) to climb that ladder without his shoes on.
Now, in my defense I didn't know he was recovering from a broken foot :rolleyes:. He made it 2-3 rungs and obviousley in pain, told me "he gets the picture".

I would have thought by now bunk ladders would not be an issue anymore.

scottyb

I supposed anyone who has climbed that ladder barefoot can feel your pain. That is an excellent mod and one that I will have to add to a growing list.

mixie57

Oscar, disregard my question about the wood and stain I posted on the design forum. Found my answer here. Thanks.

oscar

Oscar, disregard my question about the wood and stain I posted on the design forum. Found my answer here. Thanks.

No prob. Note I mentioned there that I did NOT remove the round rungs, just placed the new ones on top of them. Much stronger that way.