Getting satellite to the bedroom of my Big Country 3650RL

rockerdude

This is the first 5th wheel that I've had such a hard time trying to get satellite to my bedroom tv. I have my satellite hooked up to the main tv but cannot for the life of me, figure out how they have it wired to the bedroom tv, without splitting the cable from the dish and bringing one of the cables to the outside bedroom connection (which means bringing another satellite receiver to hook up to and that's not happening). I don't know why they just don't have a connection in the main room that you could just hook it to that brings it to the bedroom (like I just had in the Montana). That makes total sense!
Which brings up the question, why are there 2 connections for the living room and for the bedroom? I can't find in any of the manual on why there are 2 of each.
I have also found from reading the blogs here, that there is an HDMI wireless device that I can purchase that should solve not just the problem of getting satellite to the bedroom but would also get satellite to my tv down in the storage area below.
Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

danemayer

Hi rockerdude,

If you have 2 living room and 2 bedroom connections in the UDC, it's because the roof has been pre-wired for a rooftop dish. If you ever install a rooftop dish, you put a jumper between each pair of connectors, to connect the rooftop wire to the interior wire.

The RV is setup for satellite in a way that's similar to houses. Dishes with the older multiswitch LNBs support multiple coax wires coming off the dish, going to receivers in separate rooms. If you have one of those, like a Directv Slimline-3 dish, you hook one wire from the dish to the living room feed and another to the bedroom feed - just the same as you would do at home. If you have a newer Directv dish with single wire module (SWM), it uses a splitter that you might locate in the UDC and then connect the switch to each feed.

If you got a dish that has the older technology and only a single wire, feeding only a single receiver, or if you have only a single receiver, it can be done, but it'll be more difficult to get the 2nd TV working.

Here's a link to the BC COAX layout diagram in the manuals section of the forum.

back2nature

Rockerdude,

This may be more information than you need, but here's a link to my post a while back on our installation and wiring of our rooftop dish.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/35397-Satellite-TV?p=282971&highlight=#post282971

rockerdude

Thanks Dan for explaining why there are 2 feeds for each room. I do have a DirecTV Slimline-5 dish and know I can send a cable to each feed, however as I stated, I don't want to bring 2 receivers with me when camping. So I guess I'll just have to do the wireless HDMI and give that a try.
Thanks for the help.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well rockerdude - we have 3 receivers in our 3650 - 1 in bedroom, main room and the basement. Boys and their toys - can't leave home without them.

I have a DISH satellite with a 625 receiver. On my previous Big Country I could connect TV2 out from the
receiver to the cable in the living room and receive on the cable in the bedroom. Two dealers have told
me I can not do this on my Big Horn. The wiring is different and I can not receive cable(satellite) in the bedroom
from the receiver in the living room. then I found out I can't get park cable in the living room..HMMMM
I have replaced the booster and re-crimped or replaced all connectors to no avail. I can receive the satellite signal in
the basement and to my knowledge the cable runs from there to the bedroom. I think there is a short in the wiring between
the basement and the bedroom and they don't want to mess with pulling new wire. Next is pulling a new coax myself.

danemayer

The signal booster doesn't pass satellite frequencies. The basement connection is in between the living room and bedroom so that connection should work except for possible problems with the splitter in the basement.

No one is trying to trick you. The cable feed is not designed for satellite.

And if your receiver doesn't have coax outputs (some don't) the whole point is moot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2