Space Heaters

mobilcastle

I am looking at buying a space heater for my RV. Oil filled type or ceramic tower that oscillates and I was wondering what you use. I would like to know the brand also since I am looking at Lasko for the ceramic tower and DeLonghi for the oil filled.
Thank you for your info,
Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions.
We use a Pelonis ceramic heater. It's about 7 inches square. Easy to store.
That along with the fireplace provides plenty of heat.

Peace
Dave

VKTalley

Steve, do you have a fireplace in your "castle"? (Love your forum name) We use the fireplace and a small electric heater (Sunbeam brand bought at Wal-Mart) in the bedroom. The small heater works well for keeping the bedroom comfortable. It was originally bought for our 10-man tent to keep it warmer for fall camping and keeping the condensation of the top of the tent. Nothing like waking up to "rain" inside the tent. :) I was very glad to graduate from that tent to my Big Country.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have used an Eden Pure heater with great success. Very quiet and does quite well heating the entire trailer. Only draw back is that it is a larger unit. It is nice to use as a table stand near the couch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 46

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I really like those Eden Pure style heaters but I feel they are way too expensive. The technology may be worth it but the wattage is the same. Don't quite understand that...
We use a Lasko ceramic tower. It oscillates and has a thermostat that seems to be pretty accurate. We leave it in the lower level LR area during the day as needed and at night put it in the kitchen pointing up at the BR for overnight as needed. We set the Furnace T'stat at 63 for those really cold nights.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have two of these Sunbeam Portables.

Depending on the circumstance, we will use them with, or instead of, our furnace and fireplace. Trace

dalspot

We have had an oil-filled at home in use for close to 30 years. I have NO qualms about leaving it on when we are not at home - put it out in our laundry room to keep it warmer for our dogs. I would never be comfortable leaving a heater with an exposed element going without supervision. However, a fan-forced unit will move the heated air much better than the Delonghi. The oil-filled heater will retain some heat when the heating element is off also.

Rrloren

We have used an Eden Pure heater with great success. Very quiet and does quite well heating the entire trailer. Only draw back is that it is a larger unit. It is nice to use as a table stand near the couch.

We use the Eden Pure also, originally bought it for the house but use it in the 5th wheel when we travel in colder months. It will keep our unit warm enough except when really cold like 25 degrees or lower, then the coach heater needs to be used. As stated previously it isn't cheap and if I didn't already have it would probably have opted for a smaller less expensive unit..

Tumblebug

I have an infrared quartz heater also(Eden pure type) Has thermostat, two levels quite fan, does a great job, Used in 15 degree weather and the furnace never kicked on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We do not have the fireplace in our coach, so I found this:
872076024583lg.jpeg

And we use this in the bedroom, really works well to circulate the heat throughout.
043765006009lg.jpeg

Gizzy

We use the infrared quartz type (not Eden Pure and cost MUCH less). We used to use just a small space heater and thought it was fine, but the infrared quartz seems to make the entire coach feel an even warm somehow, where the space heater just seemed to heat the immediate area. We also use it in the house when not on the road.

mobilcastle

Steve, do you have a fireplace in your "castle"? (Love your forum name) We use the fireplace and a small electric heater (Sunbeam brand bought at Wal-Mart) in the bedroom. The small heater works well for keeping the bedroom comfortable. It was originally bought for our 10-man tent to keep it warmer for fall camping and keeping the condensation of the top of the tent. Nothing like waking up to "rain" inside the tent. :) I was very glad to graduate from that tent to my Big Country.
Thank you. We do have a fireplace in the "castle" but I did not want to run it all the time. Seems like everyone is happy with their choices so I will pick one and give it a try. Thank you all for your answers.

porthole

Retired
Pelonis ceramic for us. Been using it over 20 years and I got it at a garage sale.
Before RVing I used it on the bridge of our boat to minimize the chill.
Also have used at times the oil filled radiator. Our first boat didn't have heat and that was how we heated the cabin.

That radiator also kept our bedroom heated during Sandy when running off the Honda for 2 weeks.

The electric heaters in "our" Cyclone have dedicated 20 amp circuits back to the panel box.

Last edited:

Birchwood

Lasco wall hugger 3 feet high available to Sams for around $70.We bought ours at Home Depot in
Canada for $100 plus 13% tax so $113. Nice digital display and thermostat.Set it at 66 before
before we go to bed and keeps it comfortable all night.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The ceramic heater we have been using for years finally gave up the ghost and went to heater heaven. Went to Target who has their floor heaters on sale and bought a Lasko 750 or 1500 W, high-low unit for 14.99 (regular 49.99). Can't beat that.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Since we have been fulltiming we have bought a number of electric heaters. We have 2 Laskos which will rotate and are tall, have a digital thermostat. Also some of the others shown above and really find none that would give out enough heat that you can feel warm air further than 6 or 8 inches away.

When we stay in Melissa TX for Nov. thru Jan we use only electric heaters. One Lasco Tower in the bedroom if needed and one Lasco Tower in the living room. We do have a fireplace which we start with, then set the thermostat on te other two to come on if the temp gets below say 60*. None of these put out the heat like the Boran Model 6201 which is the second one in the livingroom. The only drawback to this little brute is that it does not have a digital thermostat. But once you get it adjusted for the temperature it will work better than any of the others.

You can get it at Amazon.com for about $50.00. It is made entirely of strong metal and I would get rid of all the other portables but this one if I had too..

FWIW
BC