Pueblo / Gunnison Co

Hi
So how is #50 from Pueblo to Gunnison, as in switchbacks , elevations and any other issues
that come with hauling my 3800 ? I am looking at this route to avoid Cottonwood Pass , which I am familiar with . My previous unit was 24' I can't imagine going over CW with a 42' r . Going around adds about 90 mi but if it is much easier , it would be worth while . I also don't want to take a chance on the road treatment on west side of pass , very / to corrosive for a new trailer . Thank for any input .

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
crossbones.... We took that route 2 summers ago (starting in Gunnison and going to Pueblo). It is a beautiful drive through the mountains ( Monarch pass is 11,312 feet in elevation and a 6.5% grade) and then along the Arkansas River. Our drive was great and very uneventful, except for the Guy pulling a fiver that thought I should be driving faster. We pull a North Trail 21fbs (26' from back bumper to end of hitch) with a gas 1/2 ton. I was apprehensive at first when looking at a map, but after talking with a couple of guys at the RV park in Gunnison, they said they have driven that route several times, no problems. (They had big 5ers.) Good luck and have fun!

tmcran

Beautiful drive. Slow and easy gets it done. Really slow and twisting turns from Blue Mesa to Gunnison. Sometimes about 1 1/2 lanes depending on snow.

skyguy

Trying to figure out what route adds 90 miles to your trip?

Sure wouldn't attempt Cottonwood!

From CS, you can go Hiway 24 to Buena Vista, then to Ponch Springs, or you can go 115 to Canon City, then up the river on 50. The 2nd route is about 25 minutes longer, but much easier on your TV. The Arkansas River is left turn, right turn, repeat, repeat. Monarch Pass is steep in spots, but no problem going up. You didn't mention your TV, in a gasser it's a slow go. Diesel, watch your gauges. Coming down, before the DP Tuner, I had to use first gear, 2nd wouldn't hold me back. Slow but sure, and enjoy the scenery - the pass is beautiful. My DP tuner has an exhaust brake option, now I come down at a nice steady 30MPH. In the winter and spring, you have to watch for slick spots from melted snow early or late in the day. Summer, it's an easy trip - take your time, enjoy the drive.

Oh, and 30 inches of fresh powder at Ski Monarch the last two days - woohoo, POWDER!!

Thanks for the reply's , the extra mileage (90) is the differance from Buena Vista to Tayler Park R. useing Cottonwwood Pass and useing Monarch . I have in the past (4times), used CW pass , but that was with a 24' TT , Now I have a 42' 5'r and
the grade and switchbacks of C W concerns me , hopeing Monarch is a better choice . My TV is a 4WHL D 1 ton Cummins with a manuel tranny(+engine brake). I will most likely go south out of CS and get to #50 , not that much differance then going to Buena V.then south to #50 but something new . Like I said before ,it would be nice to just"jump over " the Divide with CW Pass but unless I am told differant by someone experianced with both passes , I will let my conerns outway the extra mileage and use the Monarch . Thanks again for the reply's .