Prospects looking to take the "plunge"

TacoTom

Hi everyone

My name is Tom, my wife's name is Corinne, we are from Calgary Alberta Canada. I am a Instructor for CP Rail (35yrs), my wife and I also own and operate a Distribution Company in Canada for a Major Snack food Company USA based. I will be retiring from my job next year and plan to help in the family business. This particular business allows us to travel in an RV across the country to do store checks for proper product placement and shelf space while enjoying the RV lifestyle, and hopefully meeting friendly people along the way.

So we have been researching the purchase a New RV, and stumbled across this forum and soon learned of it's great community and helpful information, after checking out many different types of RV's at RV shows and Sales Lots we are steering towards a Cyclone 4100 and also sizing up a 2013 GMC 3500HD Denali W/6.6 & Alli Trans for a TV.

My question is, will that be enough Truck for that monster RV? as I will likely have a Can Am 650 XT Quad (Gold Panning) and a Can Am Spyder (Store Checks) in the rear garage, combined weight at approx. 1500 lbs? (Might have to put the wife's luggage up in the front to put more weight on the "pin" and balance things out)lol

The other issue is the price difference in Canada and USA, just a quick search online shows a dramatic savings (35K) by purchasing both units in the USA, I know we are not to talk prices here so PLEA$E! PM me on some "How To's" if anyone can offer assistance. Free Snack food bribes!..lol

Also I hear there is a Cyclone 4200 coming out soon, any word on the floor plan layout?

I would really appreciate any comments on the above, after all getting buyer's remorse on those big ticket items is like a punch in the stomach from a big school yard bully...lol

Tom & Corinne

Speedy

Tom, Welcome to the forum! Does the Denali come as a dually? Because with that much toy hauler you will need it, besides with all the traveling you'll be doing you'll like it much better.

I'm going to stay away from the pricing aspect of your question only because I have no knowledge of import fees and taxes crossing the border to get it home.

TacoTom

Hey John
You bet,... I don't think I would attempt hookin up to that beast without duallys.

Thanks!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tom, Having 4WD on a Chevy/GMC drops the 5th wheel weight rating by 500# to 22,500#. That is still more than the gross weight rating on a BIG Cyclone unless they are over 19K now. The new GM trucks are up to the task. BTW, the only difference between the Denali and a GMC is couple of pieces of plastic wood trim and the price. On a personal note...I worked in GM dealerships for 47 years and know the product. I don't care what a salesman says. A Chevy truck and a GMC "ARE" the same truck with a different grill. You better find a 2013 soon...cause there are not alot of them around to pick from. Production will stop towards the end of this month or the middle of March. Better get one ordered NOW. The 2014's will be a new truck design. This is from our local Chevy and GMC dealers.

Carmenh

I bought my little trailer in Michigan and imported it into Ontario. I saved almost half by doing so! Importation was beyond easy. You pay the gst and inspection fee at the border, take it in for the inspection, then pay the pst upon registration.
My trailer was a model that is sold in Canada as well, so I knew it wouldn't require anything to pass the inspection...

oscar

Just got our 4100 and we're loving it.

As the sig line says, we pull it with a Chevy 3500 CC DRW Dmax with the Allison. It pulls nicely. On flat land I set the cruise at 65 mph and it just goes nicely. In the big hills it helps if you build up some momentum on the down hill, and let it slide back to about 50-55 mph before you end up in 4th gear. Trying to maintain 65 with the cruise control on the uphill sends it to 4th gear too soon at 3500 plus rpm, a little too much. All and all plenty of truck, 9+ mpg on the flat lands. If you need more, you will end up with a class 6, 7 or 8 truck, and that's another world altogether.

One word of caution. When you shop for a unit, pay close attention to the yellow weight sticker, it is the most restrictive, well beyond the 3000 pounds the sticker in the garage says you can put in there. Options come out of your cargo carrying capacity. (see our list below.....) If you will be spending long periods on the road you will be carrying lots of stuff. Many options, the stuff, fluids and your toys will most likely put you well over the 18000# GVWR. So, you will have to go light on the options, carefully manage your stuff and liquids, and then you may be able to take the 1500# of toys.

Learn how to do the math, and do it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Welcome to the Forum!
I've been wondering about how much extra space when putting a Can-Am Spyder in a Cyclone. The spec sheet says it's 62" wide and the garage on the Cyclone is 96". There will be room, of course, behind the front wheels but be sure to do some measuring to insure there's enough for your quad.
The other issue will be the ability to balance the load laterally.
Ask the dealer if you can do a "test load". Be sure to post pics whether it's the dealer's or your own rig.

remoandiris

I have a 2011 Denali 3500 DRW and tow with my cruise control set at 62 mph. It effortlessly pulls my 39' Jayco. Had zero problem going up or down the Rockies in Colorado last year. Cruise control took care of going up and the exhaust brake took care of things going down. When the right Cyclone or Road Warrior comes along, I will have no concerns about the truck. I have a feeling the right CY or RW will be out in a few months. The 4114 is on that list. I will be interested in knowing how the Can Ams fit in your garage. I want to carry my GoldWing and 2 ATVs in my garage at the same time.

As for the 4200, there are other threads on that topic. Suffice to say they are a few months away from production. Keep in mind there will always be another model coming out with teh latest flashy features.

oscar

The other issue will be the ability to balance the load laterally.

Did you mean: "longitudinally" ? :p "Laterally" would mean side to side.

It is my understanding that the toy haulers are, by design, moderately "pin heavy" when empty. This allows for stuff in the garage and a resulting balanced load.

When I get mine loaded up for vacation early next month I plan a stop at the scales, and I will report here.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Did you mean: "longitudinally" ? :p "Laterally" would mean side to side.

Yes, I meant laterally. Too much weight on one side can overload a tire(s) among other issues.
A 6000 axle isn't meant to support 4000 on one side and 2000 on the other. Granted, that is an extreme but proper distribution of weight in all directions is mandatory for safe towing.

TacoTom

Good Info Carmenh, we noticed the price difference is in our favor by going down south, here in Alberta we have no PST, so that much better for us.
Thanks!

TacoTom

NwilsonI was thinking the same as you, the Spyder in first on the oposite side as the rear under belly fuel cells then tuck the quad in behind the the front Spyder wheels on the other side, by doing that the load should have a lateral balance as well.

TacoTom

remoandiris
Comforting to know the 3500HD DRW with the 6.6 with the Ally Trans is up to the job, as we will likely heading into the mountains on a regular basis.

I thinking if you put your GW crossways at the front of the garage and the the 2 quads SXS beside each other behind the GW you should be balanced nicely, now tying the GW down might be an issue as you will be very close to the wall and tie down strap slope won't work in your favor. But i am sure pondering it for a while with a cold brewsky in hand while rubbing your chin in a deserning manner will bring on inovation...lol I am thinking maybe a version of the old school yard bike rack idea for front and rear wheels, stablized and bolted and reinforced through the floor, but I haven't had a beer yet..ha.

Ya about the "New and Improved" , it never ends eh? My wife likes to sew, so I took her flexible measuring tape and laid it out on the floor then marked off our age at 54 with a pencil beside, then decided the average age most people live to,(we agreed at 86) and also marked it off, then stood back and took a look at the two marks and looked at each other realizing we are on the "home stretch" and we better start living life for ourselves, even if things are not perfectly planned out.

TacoTom

Thanks for the advice Oscar, yeah I have to retrain the wife on what is a "need" and what is a "want"...I already have mine figured out...lol

remoandiris

I took her flexible measuring tape and laid it out on the floor then marked off our age at 54 with a pencil beside, then decided the average age most people live to,(we agreed at 86) and also marked it off, then stood back and took a look at the two marks and looked at each other realizing we are on the "home stretch" and we better start living life for ourselves, even if things are not perfectly planned out.

Oh **** man, that is a VERY good analogy. It REALLY puts things into perspective. My parents both died before 80, so my home stretch may end prior to 86. Maybe that is why my decision to stop putting new money into investments along with not waiting until the house is paid off before buying a TH is getting easier to move forward on.

oscar

Oh **** man, that is a VERY good analogy. It REALLY puts things into perspective. My parents both died before 80, so my home stretch may end prior to 86. Maybe that is why my decision to stop putting new money into investments along with not waiting until the house is paid off before buying a TH is getting easier to move forward on.

Gotta live then, but pointless if you don't live now, get the TH for sure, and enjoy the heck out of it. That said, medicine is advancing only slightly slower than the video games the kids play. Your odds of getting past 86 are improving daily. My poor father in law at 82 is alive because of the 18 pills a day he takes....... 30 years ago he would have been dead at 60, like ALL of his ancestors.

Bottom line, I got the TH, but I'm not losing sight of the long road that (may) be ahead.