Redirecting A/C Air Flow?

navyAZ1

Okay folks like a lot of you I had the problem with very little air flowing from the A/C vents on the "off door side" vents, so I did what ya'll suggested and made the little upside down "v" deverter and installed it and WOW it fixed the air flow problem I get good flow on both sides now.

However, here's the problem the piece of aluminum flashing that I used to make the deverter now creates condensation on it and it eventually starts to drip from the A/C unit onto the kitchen floor. If I were to make a new deverter out of plastic or something like that would you think the condensation problem would quit? Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks,:D

ct0218

I put the diverter in over a year ago, and I keep that grill closed. Never had any condensation problem. My a/c stays on all the time. so there is no humidity buildup inside, and that may be why I hae had no problem. Starting up the a/c with high humidity is all I can come up with.

jwb187

I don't know whether it made the difference or not, but I used stiff cardboard reinforced with hvac silver tape. Mines been installed since last spring and I have not had a problem with it yet.....and it doesn't drip any water. I have taken the grill off a couple of times since and all looks okay. Was very easy and probably easier to install than cutting sheet metal....jmho...jwb

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I used a soda can, stiffened up with the silver tape and have no problems . We keep the main vent closed all the time also......Ken

jpmorgan37

Navy;
I used metal flashing in mine and have the grill open about 20%. I don't have any condensation problem. I would run it for a few days and try to get the inside dried out. Also, are you getting plenty of condensate running off of the roof when the A/C is running? You should have and if not, this could be part of the problem.

John (DD727 & DD838)

Forrest Fetherolf

navyAZ1 said:
Okay folks like a lot of you I had the problem with very little air flowing from the A/C vents on the "off door side" vents, so I did what ya'll suggested and made the little upside down "v" deverter and installed it and WOW it fixed the air flow problem I get good flow on both sides now.

However, here's the problem the piece of aluminum flashing that I used to make the deverter now creates condensation on it and it eventually starts to drip from the A/C unit onto the kitchen floor. If I were to make a new deverter out of plastic or something like that would you think the condensation problem would quit? Do any of you have any suggestions?

Navyaz1,

Your redirect air flow modification is most likely not the problem. The condensation if caused by very high humidity and high temperatures. If you experience this and the unit freezes up, the air flow is not sufficient. Always operate the A/C with the fan on High.

A/C units remove condensation for the recirculated air, as the condensation is collect it must have somewhere to go. Normally the condensation collects on the cooling coils, drips into a pan, and runs off the RV roof. If this condition continues to drip inside, check the roof to verify the condensation is running off the roof. I had this happen with a Coleman A/C, the fix was to remove the shroud covering the A/C on the roof and remove debris from the drip pan and exit port.

Forrest

navyAZ1

I'm getting plenty of condensation running off the roof, some of your comments have put me to thinking. When we were on our 3 and one half week trip we didn't have the problem as ya'll have said the A/C was running almost all the time. This dripping has occured when we were using the camper for just a weekend, so I guess that's it the humidity builds up while the camper is just sitting here then when we put it to use and turn on the A/C we get the extra condensation. Thanks for all your help folks.:D

chardel

I used a 2" piece of a plastic cut off a license plate advertising a dealer name that came on my truck to make the "v" and covered it with the alum. tape and it works very well so far. Probably doubled air flow in bedroom.

jpmorgan37

Navy;

When you are doing your "just weekend outings" try running the "Fantastic Fan" for a few minutes when you first start the A/C. This may help to pull out some of the excess humidity.

John

navyAZ1

jpmorgan37 said:
Navy;

When you are doing your "just weekend outings" try running the "Fantastic Fan" for a few minutes when you first start the A/C. This may help to pull out some of the excess humidity.

John

Good point I'll try that we will be leaving in about a week and a half for a trip to Lafayette, LA can't wait to get the BH back it has been at the dealer for some warranty work anxious to hit the road again.