Ford Factory Plug - Adapt or Change

scottyb

How are you Ford driver's plugging your trailer lights into the factory installed plug. Are you using an adapter or are you changing the plug on the trailer wiring? I can't see any reason not to change the plug on the trailer.

Pizzaguy

I don't understand why you need to change the trailer plug. My trailer plug is the standard 7 pin that plugs in to my Ford's factory plug. Can you give more detail or pics of the plugs that you don't think are the same?

TedS

My trailer 7-pin plugs into the truck socket, although I had another socket installed in the wall of the truck box so the trailer cord does not hang down the outside of the liftgate.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
My truck came with the standard 7 pin in the bed as well as on the bumper. Scottyb if you got your new F350 with the Fifth Wheel Hitch prep, then it should have come with the standard 7 pin in the bed and bumper just like mine. You have me curious now, what kind of pin do you have in your Ford that is not allowing you to hook directly to the trailer 7 pin plug?

Rod

scottyb

Ooops. Now I remember why it is like that. My previous truck had a round pin plug that matched our gooseneck. I think I will change it back to the flat pins and change the gooseneck's plug while I'm at it.

lwmcguir

Ooops. Now I remember why it is like that. My previous truck had a round pin plug that matched our gooseneck. I think I will change it back to the flat pins and change the gooseneck's plug while I'm at it.
Flat pin type plugs are for light weight trailers with no brakes or auxiliary wire.

pegmikef

My ford came from the factory with a 7 pin and a 4 pin plug installed the 7 pin matches the rv plug perfectly.

Mine also came with the seven pin (round) and four pin (flat) plugs installed and the seven pin has the standard rv pinout and fits my NT perfectly while the four pin works for my boat and untility trailers

TXTiger

My 2012 F-350 came with the 5th wheel package which included a plug in the bed of the truck as well as the two plugs on the bumper. The plug in the bed and one of the bumper plugs fits my Cyclone 7 pin wiring the other bumper plug is a flat 4 pin. The 7 pin plug is for trailers with electric brakes. Nothing needs to be adapted or modified. I just hook up, plug the trailer into the plug in the bed, attach the breakaway cable and go.

mmomega

AnyTimer
^^ What they said. My stock trailer plug connected directly into my stock Ford bed or bumper plug.

It seems like the OP found out what his problem was.