Black tank filling too fast!

traveler44

I can drain the black tank one day and the gauge will show 2/3 to full the next day. I also noticed that the water level in the commode is lower than it used to be after flushing. Have any of you experienced this because I was wondering if my valve isn't shutting off completely and letting water slowly fill the black tank? I am thinking about cleaning it real good and then taking a paper towel and running it around the inside to see if it gets wet. Thanks Tom

Garypowell

Re: Black tank fiiling too fast!

Traveler44Usually I have to change the rubber gasket the "ball" rides against about every 2 - 3 years. One of the first things I notice is a lower bowl level.... but this could not be responsible for a faster than normal filling tank as the lost water is not that much and it is not replaced just because it drains out. That only happens when you step on the pedal. A good cleaning never hurts we actually keep a residential brush in the room.

9-larry

are you sure your sencers don't have paper stuck on them giving you a false reading. my tank shows to be half full after dumping and i know it is empty.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Forget the guage. It is never right. As for the water in the bowl. When we flush the toilet we pull the lever up for a second or two to keep additional water in the bowl. This is so that we have plenty of water for a flush. The water left in the bowl also keeps down the possible of smell coming through into the cabin.

You might check with Dometic. They have an upgrade to the seal in the SC 201 and it was free for us. You might check out this thread that was started the same year as your trailer...
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11582-Water-leaking-from-Toilet-Bowl

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the toilet seal is leaking, you may be able to hear it dripping down the drain pipe. Water level in the bowl being lower overnight and the sound of the drip alerted me to replace the seals

danemayer

About twice a year I reshape the rubber seal a little by pressing it down gently to get a better seal.

olcoon

One thing Dometic recommends, is to put hot (not boiling) water into the bowl, let it set for a while to warm up the rubber gasket then "reshape" it. At the same time I'll wipe both sides of the gasket. This works for us. Also I was wondering, if your black tank is filling, you've probably got water leaking in there maybe the gasket is allowing the excess water to leak into the black tank. I've followed the advise on here & wait until the commode "burps" when we flush before dumping.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, like others have said, the gauges are notorious for not being accurate. Every time you flush, water may splash on a sensor and cause a false reading. The best method for determining the level of the black tank is the burp method. When the tank is nearing capacity, it will "burp". A large bubble will show in the toilet as you flush. We can usually go 10 days without dumping the black tank.
Now. If you're thinking the fill valve is leaking, can you hear water running at the valve? This is not likely to be your problem but if you think it's possible, try turning off the water to the rig overnight and see what happens.

GOTTOYS

I haven't even looked at my gauges in a couple years. They're pretty useless. I leave the gray tank valves open when I'm parked and dump the black tank when the toilet burps while I'm flushing it. No problems of any kind doing it this way...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I put the ever popular Dawn dish soap in the toilet bowl with water periodically.

Pour a glass of water into the bowl to mix it around. Let it sit for a few hours.

After that, it seems that the gasket is more pliable and regains its sealing properties.

As others have said, wait for the burp. The sensors are not accurate. Trace

traveler44

I drained it completely empty this morning and the gauge shows empty. We were gone most of the day and it still shows empty so maybe I wasn't getting it completly drained lately. I will try pouring some warm water and Dawn dishsoap into the bowl and reshaping the gasket. I have never let mine fill until it burped but I will try that when we get to a new park next week. Thanks Tom