My First "Mod" Idea

Rodbuster

Several times throughout the year we bring guests with us camping. Probably for a week and sometimes up to 10 days. Everything has worked out fine except for one small issue. It would be a privacy issue when someone has to go to the bathroom at night. There is no problem if one of the guest has to go because we have our bedroom door closed but if my wife or I have to pay a visit to the bathroom, we open our bedroom door and actually enter into their "living space" before we enter the bathroom. We all have different sleeping attire and some are a little more skimpy than others. I'm thinking that this is a recipe for an embarrassing moment. Another scenario would be in the morning when I or my wife are ready to get up. We don't dare open the bedroom door, not knowing if the guest are just getting up to get dressed or in the middle of getting dressed. I don't know about you people but, I don't have many friends that would look good in their "birthday suits". Can you imagine opening the bedroom door and seeing somebody like Ken, or Mickey, or Larry or Nathan getting dressed....I'd have nightmares the rest of my life. How about Lance....My God, I'd sell the RV.

Anyways, My "mod idea" was to put up a curtain at the top of the stairs. This would allow my wife or I to enter the bathroom without intruding into the guests living space. Not that big deal of an idea but, the way I did it warrants mentioning.

My only problem was to figure out a way to fasten the rod bracket to the wall. No problem with the outside wall because it's solid. The inside (bathroom) wall is so thin that I thought the bracket would loosen after time.
This is what I came up with. Went to the hardware store and picked up a 1/2"X6"X3' oak board. I wanted 1/4", but they didn't have it. Also picked up some brass acorn nuts, some ss bolts, a few plastic nut end caps and a clothing hook that would match the hardware that I have in the bathroom.

I cut out two 5"X5" pieces from the oak board. I would use one on the hallway side to mount the rod bracket. The other 5"X5" piece would be mounted inside the bathroom directly opposite of the first one. Voila! Now I have a backing plate and my "thin wall issue" has been resolved. Got the idea of putting up the clothing hook for an added bonus.

Did this without Fran knowing about it. Worked out good. She is happy. I am very very happy that I don't ever have to worry about seeing any of the guys that I mentioned before naked....I'm gonna sleep good tonight.

Fran went out and purchased some material and made the curtain...came out great.

I have copied a couple "mods" that I have picked up from this forum but this is the first one that I come up on my own. I really hope it's an idea that somebody else can use.
As far as mods, help and ideas go, I have gotten alot more out of this forum than I have given.

Thank you
Dick

DSC02583.JPGDSC02584.JPGDSC02585.JPGDSC02587.JPGDSC02591.JPG

jbeletti

Wow Dick - great looking mod. Thanks for sharing. I'm with you BTW - Lance? Um, yeah....... :) Or me - ew :)

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Good job, Dick and Fran. That should do the job. And you are right Dick. Seeing one of those naked would scar you for life!

Rodbuster

Jim, I actually thought of you, but with you being the boss, I didn't want to get on your bad side.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Well, I was going to tell you "nice job" and I have to admit I was kind of surprised you came up with this on your own-but since you dragged me into this the way you did, remember this-I am next to you at Williston!!!

happyappy

I never understood what the purpose was for a sliding curtain on my coach before reading about your mod. On mine, the curtain provides privacy to the bedroom while allowing the bedroom door to be left open for guest access to the toilet.

Rodbuster

Well, I was going to tell you "nice job" and I have to admit I was kind of surprised you came up with this on your own-but since you dragged me into this the way you did, remember this-I am next to you at Williston!!!

Hmmm, just catching up reading the latest posts when I saw this. Well, the way I see it is.... Sam will be next to us at Williston, "WITH" her chocolate pie.
Looking forward to it.

Dick

happykraut

My wife puts up a curtain in that spot when we run heat in the living area. This helps to keep the heat in the back and it keeps some of the heat out of the bedroom where we don't want it.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Real nice mod Dick, and you say you came up with the idea yourself. Well that raises my respect for you a notch or two, I didn't know you had it in you. What's more, your graphic description of some in their birthday suits has shown me how visually active your mind is. Obviously a trait of a genius!:rolleyes: Well done!

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Rodbuster; I don't know about you people but said:
HA!......y'all don't know what your missing!?.....Ask Kem!!

On second thought.......DON'T!!!!:rolleyes: