Replacing 235 80R16 tires selection is 2 - if 235-85R16 then a bunch - explain please.

BooBear

TireRack.com has an extensive inventory and research articles. The "80" only has a Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax. But listed under "85" you get a ton of Light Truck (LT) to choose from. Someone's Forum signature profile included "G614 tires" which I guess is 14 ply 16" Goodyears - that I can't find anything on. I understand the need for a stiff sidewall on a trailer but I also see references that would make you think a LT is interchangeable.

Discount Tire guy mentioned and quoted Carlisle. That brand means nothing to me. Supposedly heavy truck folks. Discount's given me excellent service but their website is not as extensive for researching.

Simply I'm researching for better tires than my stock ones. Only because I suspect Cyclone didn't spend much on them and so they're not so roadworthy. That might be an incorrect assumption, but so many things have turned out to be of less quality than I expected. And tires can be a PITA to mess with besides dangerous. Probably have about 9,000 miles on the originals and the outside edges are considerably worn.

Thanks for inputs
Tom

danemayer

Goodyear G614 are G rated 235/85 R16 that support 3750 pounds at 110psi. The guys at Wingfoot (the retail outlets for Goodyear tires) have told me that the Goodyear G614 steel belts go from "bead-to-bead" whereas most tires the steel belts are under the tread only.

lwmcguir

We have ran Goodyear All Steel tires on trucks and trailers (16's & 17.5's for trailers) for years as do most of the Utility Companies in our area (mostly 16 and 19.5's on service trucks). The Goodyear trailer tires are the best you can buy and you do pay for them. At some point insurance is going to start pushing back on all the tire blow out damage.

Phatkd

As a point of reference; I priced out some GY G614's 235/85R16's for the BH today to replace the factory towmax tires that came with the rig. For 5 G614's mounted and balanced, I would be paying upwards of $2800 Cdn to have them done up here.

My plan is to stop in at "Little's tire and alignment" in SandPoint ID on our way down to the WA state rally in July. They quoted me under $2000 for all 5 mounted and balanced and have some fantastic reviews and BBB comments.

They did tell me that the GY's are a bit taller, but haven't had any problems in the hundreds of change overs they have done from China made tire owners like myself.

Kris

danemayer

My plan is to stop in at "Little's tire and alignment" in SandPoint ID on our way down to the WA state rally in July. They quoted me under $2000 for all 5 mounted and balanced and have some fantastic reviews and BBB comments.
Does that include new wheels that support 110psi? Your current wheels may only support 80 psi.

jnbhobe

Here are a couple of other choices GY 614's 3750# @ 110 psi. LT 235-85-16 LR-E, 3042# @ 80psi. LT 265-75-16 LR-E 3415# @ 80 psi. These are all about the same OD, 265's are a touch wider but I've used them on a fifth wheel before.

lwmcguir

As a point of reference; I priced out some GY G614's 235/85R16's for the BH today to replace the factory towmax tires that came with the rig. For 5 G614's mounted and balanced, I would be paying upwards of $2800 Cdn to have them done up here.

They did tell me that the GY's are a bit taller, but haven't had any problems in the hundreds of change overs they have done from China made tire owners like myself.

Kris
You will find the GY's are actually about 1/2" less in diameter than most 235.85.16 tires.

GFHLLH

Had one of the "Chicom" time bombs (Tow Max,E rated )toss a tread after 4500 miles. Read all the reviews on GY and others and heard similar stories of tire failure. Decided to end the debate and went for 17.5 and Sumitomo 225's. Got 4850 lb load rating and will end the forever search for good tires for the 5th wheel. Next project will be 19.5's for the GMC srw. The tow max retails for $121 -------- it is a shame, Heartland builds a a nice 5th wheel and then puts the cheapest tire available on it. That really endangers my family and investment. This is my third Heartland and my previous Big Country had Chicom G rated tires and fortunately did not have tire failure. I bought my current Big Country from dealer inventory,however, I will order my next rig and hopefully tire options will be available.

Gaffer

Either step up to the G614's or go with Maxxis. You can get Maxxis from Discount/Americas Tire Company.

lwmcguir

If you plan on keeping the Coach for >3 years then the G614's are the best option. This is from many years of blowing out tires.