What Size Portable Generator do I need?

IrishReb

I am looking atHonda portable generators for use when no services are available. We have a Sundance 3000MK with one 15k BTU AC. Can a eu2000 Honda unit or similar size handle running AC? What would be adequate size if not? What is your experience? Thanks, John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The answer to your first question is no.
I have two 2k Kippors that are tied together for 4,000 watts. They will do the job. They are lightweight and if I need only one for some other application it's no problem grabbing one and taking off. They are a bit louder than a 3k genny would be.
Downside to the 3k is that it is not quite as portable as the smaller 2k's.
If I were to do it over again I would get a 3k Honda, and that is my recommendation. They are quiet.

Peace
Dave

TedS

My Honda 3k does the job. I like how quiet it is. I made a 20-amp to 30-amp extension cord so I could connect my previous 5th wheel's 30-amp cord to the Honda's 20-amp outlet.

Sumo

I use a 3000 watt Yamaha with a 500 watt boost with a remote start. Love it.
I took the wheels off and attach it to the back of my 5th wheel.
It's big and heavy so I don't worry to much about it growing legs and walk off.
Down side is I need the help of a friend to load it up.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a Boliy 3600 that has really never been needed for any length of time but I start it often and run it long enough to get it hot and the fuel flowing for a while. It starts fast and easy. It's as quiet as a Honda 3K and weighs about 68#. Easy to move aroung and the best part is the price. Under $1000 with free shipping at http://store.boliygenerator.com/

pegmikef

I am looking atHonda portable generators for use when no services are available. We have a Sundance 3000MK with one 15k BTU AC. Can a eu2000 Honda unit or similar size handle running AC? What would be adequate size if not? What is your experience? Thanks, John

I have tried running my 15k AC on one of the Honda 2000 and it will run . . . just won't start reliably and it is really pushing the max. My AC draws close to 1500 watts when it is running. I have the Honda companion 2000 as well and when we are using the AC I run both of them. No AC, then I only run one to charge the batteries and to use the other 110 stuff (toaster, wife's implements, whatever). They work well, are frugal with gas consumption, run quietly, and are light weight so I can easily handle them (main reason I settled on the Honda pair).

Gaffer

The Honda 3000 is great. It is quiet and will handle your AC. I know from experience that it is a two man job to move it in or ur of the truck bed or basement stroage area. I would go with two Honda 2000 units with the parrallel kit. They are easy to handle and combined have more output than the 3000. The downside is no electric start and less fuel capacity. There are kits available to run them off of a 5 gal fuel can or outboard fuel tank.

Speedy

If you are looking for a generator for emergency or very little use then go with a Champion from Camping World. They are setup just for RVs (proper oulets) and are priced for emergency use ($200 to $500). I have a 3500 and works great when I need it. Yes it is louder than a Honda or others but when the power went out in the RV resort I was the only one with power and water.

I could not justify spending $2000 on a generator that sits in my TV box and is rarely used. Again it depends on your needs and funding.

DougS

Doug S
I also have two Honda 2000i, because of their weight, quiet, and their height. They both fit under my Pace Edwards bed cove when not hooked up to RV. I secure them with a bolted to the bed bracket. I run them through a 30 amp shore line at the King Pin.

wdk450

I bought the Boily 3600 which I keep (chained) in the back of my truck. I got that size with the idea of being able to run my Air Conditioner. If I had it to do again, I would buy a very small, quiet, light, Honda 2000 for keeping the batteries charged, running the microwave, and all of the electronic goodies. But with gas at over $4 a gallon, if I need to run the Air Conditioning continuously I will burn about $17 worth of fuel with my Boily in 4 hours. At that time economics dictate that you get yourself to an RV park with hookups and pay them the approximate $30 a day.

Phatkd

For a simple and more cost effective solution for a benny,..may I recommend a powerhouse 3100 watt inverter genny? I love mine (but I don't use it very often). Very quiet, decent on fuel burn, remote start and hour meter at a very affordable price. It does take 2 people to load it up though. For a higher price point maybe think about a Yamaha 2400is high output genny. I just sold mine, but I loved it!!

ILH

For a simple and more cost effective solution for a benny,..may I recommend a powerhouse 3100 watt inverter genny? I love mine (but I don't use it very often). Very quiet, decent on fuel burn, remote start and hour meter at a very affordable price. It does take 2 people to load it up though.

I'm happy to hear that you recommend the powerhouse. I'm picking up a 3100 tomorrow. I got a good deal on a factory refurbished model.

dave10a

An elcheepo 4kw generator like the Champion in the bed of you truck will work just fine for intermittent duty and will serve for home backup as well. It will run everything in your trailer with only one A/C. I doubt you need both A/C's during a power outage. More expensive generators are much more expensive while an elcheepos. The only thing you need to do is excesses the generator once a month to keep the carburetor in shape unless you have a propane generator. Propane generators do not need the excessing of a gass or diesel generator.

Phatkd

I'm happy to hear that you recommend the powerhouse. I'm picking up a 3100 tomorrow. I got a good deal on a factory refurbished model.

I paid $1100 for my 3100. I fired it up this afternoon just to stretch it's legs a bit in fact. The one thing I don't understand is that it doesn't have a choke?? Take a little while to turn over after you shut it down using the fuel petcock to kill it. Other than that it works pretty good for the little that I need one.

evolvingpowercat

the smallest neighbor friendly relatively silent single generator that will run a 13.5 AC is the Yamaha iSHC 2400. it is barely a one person lift in terms of its weight and size. But you have a 15K AC and I doubt that would start it, so I think your best bet is the usual two Honda 2000s tied together you see a lot of people use that will run 1 AC and several other things, even the microwave, at the same time. The 2000 is reasonably light weight and there is a standard two together kit. A single Honda or Yamaha 3000 would do but it would be quite heavy to move by one person.

The home center generators are not neighbor friendly in terms of the noise they make when running compared to the Honda and Yamaha ones, so depending on where you camp that may or may not be a consideration.

mobilcastle

If you are looking for a generator for emergency or very little use then go with a Champion from Camping World. They are setup just for RVs (proper oulets) and are priced for emergency use ($200 to $500). I have a 3500 and works great when I need it. Yes it is louder than a Honda or others but when the power went out in the RV resort I was the only one with power and water.

I could not justify spending $2000 on a generator that sits in my TV box and is rarely used. Again it depends on your needs and funding.
I did the same thing since we do not boondock-we only use it for emergencies or just to cool the unit at a roadside lunch. I think the DB's are 68 on the high side not much higher than Honda's high side.http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/champion-power-equipmenttrade;-3500w-4000w-portable-generator

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I use my 4K Champion quite often for power at my storage lot. It gives adequate 30amp power for just about everything I need, including running one AC unit in the summer. I do have to turn my EMS off because I get (I believe - can't remember which code for sure) an "Open Ground" indicator.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recently bought the Honda EU2000i to use primarily at the storage yard, where I do my pre- and post-season maintenance. The light weight, quiet, and quality was worth the price. I was borrowing a Coleman 2.5k genny from the FD, but it weighs a ton and is awkward to move. And having my own genny will allow me take it along to our site for emergency use.