1999 F350. Can it handle the Cyclone 4000?

I am very close to buying a cyclone 4000. I currently own a 1999 Ford F350 and am wondering if I should be concerned. It's a good truck. I have maintained it well but it has high miles. Will this truck do the job or will I need to buy something newer?

jnbhobe

Is it a Dooley ? The transmission is probably the weakest point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
This link may help you to determine if your current vehicle is adequate for what your trying to do. The tow ratings go back to 2003 but the information on 5th wheel st combined with the ratings on your door jam should help you. Good luck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Is it a gasser or Diesel. Might be a strain for a gasser depending on what you're carrying in the Cyclone..

BC

porthole

Retired
I am very close to buying a cyclone 4000. I currently own a 1999 Ford F350 and am wondering if I should be concerned. It's a good truck. I have maintained it well but it has high miles. Will this truck do the job or will I need to buy something newer?

18.000+ pounds for the trailer ...............

MCTalley

If you properly prepped your truck to pull it. You're talking possibly 17-18K of trailer behind 7-8K of truck, for a total of 24-26K weight. GCWR for the 7.3's in an F350 was 20K. That figure is based mostly on the braking power of the truck, but also partly on the transmission.

Our rig weighs 23K fully loaded down the road. I've put better brakes, custom tuning, and a high-end rebuild on my tranny to accomodate the overage. Still, I wouldn't try a fully loaded 4000 behind mine.

dave10a

My truck handles the Landmark very well and dually is not needed. The Cyclone may be a higher GVW and would require a dually. However, if I was going the dually route I would consider the F450. As far as a 1999 F350 goes check the sticker in the door post for GVW specs. I suspect the newer Ford have a higher GVW capability.

DW_Gray

Trailer Life only provides the maximum towing capacity. It's also important to ensure the rear axle will not be overloaded. No towing guide that I know of provides the rear axle information. The best and only resource of it's kind is the Before You Buy RV app.

BTW: I just did a quick check on the best 2005 model F350 and that won't work for the Cyclone 4000. I'm pretty sure the older model won't have the capacity to tow this model.

porthole

Retired
My truck handles the Landmark very well and dually is not needed. The Cyclone may be a higher GVW and would require a dually. However, if I was going the dually route I would consider the F450. As far as a 1999 F350 goes check the sticker in the door post for GVW specs. I suspect the newer Ford have a higher GVW capability.

?????

marvmarcy

I'm reluctant to make recommendations, but here is what happened to me. I had a 2002 F550 dually w/7.3 PSD & 4R100 tranny pulling 20,000#. The truck weighed 10,000#. The GCWR was 30,000#. In 18 months I spent $9,000 fixing the truck (mostly transmission related) and was towed three times. The truck pulled the trailer fine, but stopping and quick maneuvering could be exciting.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just my 5cts ( inflation). IMHO, you need a 2011 or newer any brand. They all have a higher GVWR, bigger brakes, engine brake and so on. With a HEAVY Cyclone you should get a DRW. Still JMHO.

Well my salesman said we would have no problem! So we bought it and pick it up Saturday. Ha Ha. I didn't get a chance to read all of your reply's. Sounds like I need to buy a new truck now?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry your salesperson told you whatever it took to get you to buy a trailer. Looks like you will absolutely be overloaded, based on the tow guide posted earlier.

Get you a new truck asap, so you can really enjoy that new Toyhauler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceharris21

MC: I have a 2000 f-350 drw 7.3l with exhaust break and break controller heavy duty springs in the rear and upgraded heavy duty aftermarket tranny and pull my fully loaded road warrior like a boss. But i am cautious when towing and usually dont exceed 60mph while towing. I wouldn't worry if the truck has been well maintained... maybe consider an upgrade down the road. With all that said everyone has a diff of opinion when it comes to this stuff.

DW_Gray

With all that said everyone has a diff of opinion when it comes to this stuff.

There no question that MasterCade's truck won't tow the Cyclone. Heck, my former 2008 Ram 2500 as shown on my website towed my trailer just fine. Even the Toyota Tundra towed the Space Shuttle in L.A. Towing is not whole the issue.

The real issue is not exceeding the load ratings. Ratings are facts and are not up for opinion. Ratings are based on a lot of things, like axles, springs, transmission, gear ratio, brakes and etc. All these things can be upgraded with after market products but that does not change the certification ratings.

Note to MasterCade: Please PM me with the name of the dealer, phone number and the mailing and website address. I'd like to send them a little care package.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, it won't do anygood. All dealer are told to quote/lie the empty weigh to a customer. The other opinion/problem is with being over the rated GVWR on any truck/ trailer combo. If you have an accident............you are screwed. Probably no insurance coverage and lots of other bad things. Its not worth it for a few buck to get a "legal" truck and be safe. Does not have to be a NEW truck. JMHO