Sliding Tandem

JanAndBill

Here's an off the wall idea. How difficult would it be to make the axles moveable similiar to a semi trailer setup. That way they could be moved to equal out loading. They could also be slid up to permit a tighter turn radius for getting in to tight spots.

JanAndBill

It would require a ground up design change no doubt, but maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Typical 53' freight trailer weighs in with a dry weight of less than 15,000# but depending on the power unit can haul up to 48,000# cargo weight. This is accomplished with a "frameless" design that utilizes an extruded top and bottom rail, cross members, walls, and roof as a trussed assembly capable of great strength. It's a proven design far stronger than any RV trailer on the market.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you think about the IS system that MorRyde has, it could be done with that type of system. It basically has it's own framework. Interesting idea but not all that cost effective in my opinion though.

JanAndBill

Bill, you waaaaaaaaay to much time on your hands.

You may be right!!!!!! We've been at home for two weeks while we take care of business, and doctors appointments. It's been to cold and wet to be outside when we are at home. Time for another adventure.

JanAndBill

Ray in looking at it, appears that the MorRyde could be adapted, to a sliding design. Truck designers are increasing the load capacity of their models every year, but in my opinion RV trailers have hit the wall with their weight limits and overall length. Current suspensions and tires are pretty much at their limits. By doing away with the bottom rail design and going to an extruded exterior bottom and top rail, you would save weight and gain space under the unit to put a heavier suspension or tire combination. I'm no engineer but I'd think that a "unibody" design would be stronger, lighter, and ultimately cheaper to build.