Rear ladder unstable

ronbarbbv

I have never been comfortable using the rear ladder to access the roof on my 2011 Big Country 3250TS. However I thought it would certainly support two bicycles on a Camping World rack. Wrong! On our trip to Florida all six brackets on the rear cap loosened and all screws attaching the brackets to the frame were broken. Luckily we did not lose the bikes on the interstate. Next time I'll read the Forum posts before trying something different.There was fair warning posted there.

danemayer

Hi ronbarbbv,

We looked at the ladder rack and had concerns. We ended up adding the 1-1/4" Lippert receiver to our Landmark frame to attach a bike rack. It works well for our 2 bikes and seems pretty stable. But several people have had problems with excessive flex on theirs.

Several people have put bike racks on their pinboxes. I'm sure those are rock solid.

tracks

We had the 1-1/4" Lippert receiver added to our Bighorn from the factory to attach a bike rack, but the excessive flex dented the bike frames.

Kirk

hillsonwheels

I assisted my welder neighbor in mounting an 1 1/4'" receiver to our Bighorn. Know it was done properly. Bikes came off twice (once coming out of Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel). My theory (observation) is that the whip lash effect on the bikes (weight) on a bumpy road create more problems than an old retired man needs. Last time I found issues.......gave the bikes to a maintenance worker in a CG in Emporia, VA. Much happier now. Do miss the local transportation in a CG and am trying to figure out the next iteration. Good luck figuring it out and keep us posted as to "the" solution.

danemayer

In addition to the bike rack straps, I use 5 bungee cords to restrict bike movement and a 6th to load the rack toward the ladder. I wonder if securing the bikes eliminates the flex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tracks

I’ve tried multiple tie downs and have found the factory hatch which has a 150lb. load limit just not satisfactory. It’s obvious this is a standing still limit and doesn’t take into account the effects of motion.

Kirk

mobilcastle

I mounted a trailer hitch with a 2" receiver to the frame. Hooked up a tray with extra angle iron supports on both sides of the tray to the frame-also bolt on support to keep the hitch from moving up and down in the receiver. Tray is rated for 500lbs. I am going to put my Generator and bikes on it. I think 1 1/4 receiver is not strong enough.

At 180# I use the ladder all the time...as a ladder. It is not a bike rack. The bikes go in the cargo storage and they are standard bikes, nothing folds. I would never subject a bike to inclement weather. I just happen to be anal about dirty rusty bikes. Sorry.

ronbarbbv

Took the Big Country to our dealer on March 2nd to see about repairing my rear ladder. Couldn't do, so they ordered one from Heartland. First one came in damaged, so it was reordered. Second once came in with the wrong ladder, so reordered again. The third one shipped was correct. The ladder was $140 and freight was $124.46. With labor and tax my total was $418, so an expensive lesson learned. Also took two months to repair.

Westwind

We didn't have a receiver on our Bighorn when we bought it off the lot, If I had ordered one I probably would have gotten the receiver on the rear. I thought about using a ladder mount, briefly but even though the ladder holds me I had reservations about using it for the bikes. After reading this post I now feel that taking off the wheels and storing the frames and wheels in our front compartment is the right thing to do. I've gotten it down to science getting them in and out and it's not so bad. I'm sure if I didn't have the bikes in that compartment I'd fill it with useless stuff that I would never use.

ParkIt

Sorry to hear you had a 'hard lesson' and expensive one at that.
I have one of those fold up bikes (we are talking bicycles, right?) and a standard one that I take the wheels off to fit in the front bin. There's already a hook built in so that gets used and the bikes stay out of the way.
If we ever get to the point of being able to own the other kind of bike we would put a receiver on with the level to the coach trailer. Would add a fair amount of weight though but its a dream at this phase.

jdfishing

Most of the rattle in the bike racks comes from loose tolerances in the receiver. Try an "anti-wiggle" threaded locking hitch pin. Solid as a rock on 2" receivers.

4ever

I currently have a 2" receiver hitch on our rig. Getting a new rig soon and have had two thoughts. First I was going to take the current 2" receiver off the current unit and have it mounted on the new unit by Lippert. I was also thinking of getting the 1-1/4" receiver from Lippert. Not sure which way to go. My thought was that the 1-1/4" receiver hitch would add a lot less weight to the rig. Using the receiver to carry two bicycles. After reading this post I have some concerns about the smaller 1-1/4" receiver. It appears that some of you have had problems using the 1-1/4" receiver. Perhaps I will go back to my original plan to use the 2".

Ted

Milton_and_PeggySue

I welded a 2 inch receiver in the front of the truck under the bumper and use a transit bike rack that holds two bikes, the solution is to use bungees to eliminate the movement. DON'T TRUST THE LADDER TO HOLD THE BIKES.

GlenStMary

If mine starts to loosen or feel unsafe I'm running down to a marine shop that welds stainless towers, rocket launchers and the like and have them make me a real ladder. I've spent 30 years on large sport fishing boats in all kinds of rough weather and never saw a single ladder bend, break, or come apart.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Normally, we transport the two bikes to our site after we've set up for the season, using a bumper rack on the truck. But, on occasion, we've put a clean plastic tarp on the bed, removed the front tires and laid them flat on the bed.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, tapatalk would not let me start a thread, so here is where I'm putting this. I did a quick survey of other ladders seen at the rv show this weekend, and not one did not flex when I stepped on it (I'm not going to tell my weight, but in. 5'8" and not skinny. Heartland has a unique fold-flat ladder on the side of the new Cyclone 4200, so you no longer have to figure out where to store it!

zese9a9y.jpg

Cyclone ladder

nu3y9ynu.jpg

Redwood ladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

TravelTiger
Nice pictures. Are you saying the new ladders are better?:cool:
Well, tapatalk would not let me start a thread, so here is where I'm putting this. I did a quick survey of other ladders seen at the rv show this weekend, and not one did not flex when I stepped on it (I'm not going to tell my weight, but in. 5'8" and not skinny. Heartland has a unique fold-flat ladder on the side of the new Cyclone 4200, so you no longer have to figure out where to store it!

Last edited by a moderator: