Details on Residential Refrigerator Option for Landmark

jbeletti

Hello prospective Landmark owners,

As some of you may have seen on our Facebook page earlier this month (Feb 2013 - link), we are now offering a Residential Refrigerator option in our Landmark brand*. This option would be in-place-of the gas absorption style RV refrigerator.

Below, I will give you all the details available to me at this time**.

What is it?
It's a standard household style (residential), AC powered, compressor style, side-by-side, counter-depth, refrigerator with freezer, ice maker and water/ice dispensers in the door.

What brand, model and size is being used?
- Brand: Frigidaire
- Model FFSC2323LS
- Size: 22.6 Cubic Feet
- Link to the Owners Manual page on Heartland Owners Manuals site

So it's AC powered in a campground, how is it powered while we're traveling?
It's powered by DC Inverted AC Power.

Can you explain more about the Inverter and associated equipment?
In addition to the residential refrigerator, the option includes:
- Dedicated DC to AC Power Inverter (creates the AC power)
- Additional 12 Volt Battery (two batteries in total as the power source for the Inverter)
- AC Power Transfer Switch (dedicated to this option to transfer between Shore and Inverter power)
- Associated wiring, breakers etc. (items that support the option)
How are my two coach batteries recharged?
The AC to DC Power Converter that comes with your coach as a standard feature, provides the charging circuit to keep your batteries charged when connected to shore power.

Once I'm at my destination and connected to shore power, what do I need to do to get "shore" power to the residential refrigerator?
You don't need to do anything - it's automatic. When you arrive at your destination and connect to shore power, the transfer switch detects shore power and transfers the refrigerator's power load over to shore power.

Once I'm ready to hit the road and I disconnect from shore power, what do I need to do to get "travel" power to the residential refrigerator?
You don't need to do anything - here again, it's automatic. When you disconnect from shore power, the transfer switch detects the loss of shore power and transfers the refrigerator's power load over to DC Inverted AC power.

What is the "planned" MSRP of this Residential Refrigerator option?
The "planned" MSRP is $3499. For comparison purposes, the MSRP for the 4-door Norcold RV Refrigerator is $2878. So the Residential Refrigerator is about a $621 premium over the 4-door Norcold. Note also that this option includes a stainless steel look convection microwave and range-top.

Who could benefit the most from a Residential Refrigerator?
Quite a lot of folks actually. This question could also be answered by saying "it's not ideal for the boondocker". That's to say that if you often times RV "off-the-grid" (without access to a steady-state AC power source), the standard gas absorption style RV Refrigerator may be a better choice for you.

So what are some of the benefits of having this Residential Style Refrigerator in my next Heartland Landmark?
- More efficient cooling than a typical RV gas absorption style refer
- Huge increase in interior volume
- Water and ice dispenser in the door
- Refrigerator and freezer temperature readings from control panel
- Can run refer while traveling without propane gas being on
- A more residential look
- Less costly to replace

Can we see some pictures of this Refrigerator?
residential_style_refer_01.jpg

*Not yet available on all Landmark floorplans - but we're working towards that.
**As this option is new, it's still being refined. As such, it's very much subject to change.

shelsay

Thanks for the update, Jim. Just wondering if this could be a retrofit for existing Landmarks.

Pat

jbeletti

Just curious what the weight difference is?

Great question. Looks like the "shipping weight" of the Residential Refer is 310 pounds. Subtract for packing material, add for inverter, 2nd battery, transfer switch and wiring.... What, maybe call it ~350 pounds? Just my guess. The Norcold 1210IM has a net weight of about 207 pounds. Add something for wood panel inserts and exterior vents and call it ~225 pounds? Again, just my guess. So from my rough estimations, looks like the option net adds maybe 125 pounds??

If Kary gets a chance - he'll "weigh" in on this :)

jbeletti

Thanks for the update, Jim. Just wondering if this could be a retrofit for existing Landmarks.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Well - Heartland doesn't do any aftermarket upgrades/retro-fits, so the official word from the plant would be no. And no retro-fit kit is being contemplated.

This being said, a cabinet maker, carpenter or skillful person could likely accomplish a retro-fit. In our case, it's a completely re-engineered and constructed slide room.

That and a lot of electrical items and wiring - sure one could likely do it. It's always something to think about if your RV refer ever needs to be replaced. It's just something Heartland won't be able to help you with.

guyc66

Just curious what the weight difference is?

The Dometic RM1350 weighs about 200 lbs and the shipping weight for a Frigidaire model FFSC2323LS is listed at 310 lbs. So with the extra batteries, etc. it would be quite a few stones more (but well worth with in my opinion).

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
*Not yet available on all Landmark floorplans - but we're working towards that.
**As this option is new, it's still being refined. As such, it's very much subject to change.

Jim,

This is an option my wife and I were looking at when trying to decide on the Landmark versus the Mobile Suite. Was one of the down sides to us going with the Landmark. Any information on which floorplans it is available in? Since we just placed our order I really would like to call Heartland and have this added to our new Key Largo before it is built if it is available in that floorplan. Glad Heartland is adding this option.

jbeletti

Ricky,

I was informed later today that next week, this option will be orderable on all Landmark floorplans.

With regard to your unit already on order, if you can stand the delay, you'll want to contact your dealer to have them get with their Heartland rep to get a change order placed. That said, I'm in no position to promise what can and can't be done. Give it a shot - love to see you love your Landmark even more!

Jim

K

karykatz

Just wanted to let everyone know asking about new residential refer. this option cannot be added to any units that are already on order. It will have to be a new ordered unit. All floor plans will be offered for production starting in April.

I hope this helps.

K

karykatz

Regarding weight increase, according to engineering it looks like new residential refer will add less than 100 pounds to total weight.

Hope this helps.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Another great option to help separate Landmark from the pack....however, this is one of those things that needs to make it to the website ASAP...not six months after it has become available! Many prospective buyers will look there first and may never come to this forum. If they don't know about availability they may move on to another manufacturer...jmho.

travlingman

What we have been waiting for.

Can the fridge be ordered without the ice maker/in door option?
If you order the oven option, is it stainless like the cook top?
What size inverter?

Again, glad to hear this. We are getting close to making our decision, hopefully, and this is an option we wanted. Way to go Heartland.

K

karykatz

answers to Questions above

1. No fridge is not avilable without Icemaker
2. Yes oven option get Stainless Steel
3. 1000 Watt inverter

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Great info, but the question I have is the residential frig made to withstand the bumps, shaking, and jarring that takes place as it goes down the road?

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
DW had her mind set on BH 3685, but now she has to look at Landmark floor plans again. Thanks, Jim :)