New Bighorn Furnace air flow

TheRameys

Picked up our Bighorn Silverado in November. Had a problem with a front hydraulic jack right off the bat, think we got that fixed. Took it to Arkansas over the holidays and discovered there was very little air coming out of the floor vents. The only ones with enough air coming out to move a ribbon was the Master Bedroom and Bathroom. Had to turn the thermostat way up to try and warm the unit and kept the fireplace going all the time and it still got cold in the kids room. Called Heartland customer service and was told to take the cover off the furnace and see if any hoses were crimped and was also, told my unit was not set up for cold weather. Took it to the dealer when we got back and they couldn't find anything wrong with the furnace or the ducts. Need to do something to get some more air from the floor vents. Need help please.

traveler44

I was told that there was nothing wrong with my heating too, but I have nice even heat now. I got behind the wall of the front storage compartment so that I could get to the back of the furnace and removed the duct going to the bedroom where I had too much heat and added an extra duct going to the livingroom. While you are back there you might find that the ducting is all folded and crimped because of the way it is run under your wiring. I straightened mine out as best I could. PULL UP THE FLOOR REGISTERS AND SEE IF YOU CAN PULL OUT AND REMOVE EXTRA DUCTING. I cut about eight feet of extra ducting off that had been all folded and crimped under the livingroom floor this helped a little but the extra duct I ran to the livingroom after I switched out the bedroom duct is what really does the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is one of those questions that really doesn't "fit" the ATF section. They will more than likely not even respond or may suggest a trip to your dealer. I'll move this thread/question to the furnace area. You should get some good ideas from other owners.

JanAndBill

We also had a problem with air flow on our BH3260. Took it back to the dealer. Duct was crimped. He had to remove it at the furnace and reroute it. Problem solved.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing thats helps is to replace all the registers that can be shut off. That way you divert the air flow where you want it. The big box stores have them and fairly cheap. Just get the metal ones.

TheRameys

Thanks for the replies, got some good ideas. Tom if I understand you correctly you disconnected the duct from the bedroom and ran it to the livingroom. Does that mean you don't have any heat going to the bedroom

brianharrison

I replaced the bedroom and bathroom floor registers with the metal "shut off" type similar to residential floor registers. Restricting/closing flow to these two registers forces the air flow to the other registers closer to the back.

As mentioned the air flow is preferential to these two registers as the ducting is shorter from the furnace.

Brian

traveler44

Sorry it took so long to respond. Yes! we get plenty of heat in the front bedroom from the bathroom and from the fact the the heat just seems to migrate towards the front of the old 3370RL. So I removed the ducting and plugged the floor vent with insulation then I took the collar from the bedroom side of the plenum and installed it in the plenum on the side towards the kitchen livingroom and got more ducting and ran it under the fridge and behind the cabinets and came out of a vent I installed in the livingroom. I have the same number of ducts in the long run and am not restricting the amount of heat coming out of the furnace. I figured if I needed to I would Y off the bathroom ducting to the bedroom but it turned out that I didn't have to. Tom

TheRameys

Thanks for the info Tom. I will have to get under there and see what I got, maybe Sunday I will have time. We have a vent right in front of the fireplace and another where the kitchen bar starts. What part of Il are you from, we have daughters that live in Windsor and Effingham. Hope to head up that way this summer. Thanks again. Russ

TheRameys

Furnace Air Flow

Ok I took the wall off by the furnace and there are 4 flexible hoses coming out of the furnace. Two of them go up probably to the Master Bedroom and bath. The other two go down I guess to the rest of the TT, can't see anything from that point. I checked the vents inside and it looks like there is aluminum ducting where the vents are and I assume that there is one duct running the length of the TT. If I restrict the flow to the Master bedroom and bath will it help the flow to the rest of the TT

danemayer

If I restrict the flow to the Master bedroom and bath will it help the flow to the rest of the TT
Russ,

Some number of people have done this and reported that it helps. But you should also be aware that Suburban, the furnace manufacturer, specifically advises against doing this.

From the Suburban website:
[h=3]Can I close off a register so more heat goes to another part of the vehicle?[/h] No, this is not recommended. Doing so will cause improper furnace operation and possible overheating of the furnace.

TheRameys

Maybe I will figure out how to use this forum. How can I find out how the ducting runs for the rest of the TT or am I correct in my thinking that there is only one duct. I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind having two flex hoses going upstairs and only two for the rest of the TT. Would it help if I close off the vent by the fireplace. Thanks, Russ

danemayer

How can I find out how the ducting runs for the rest of the TT
You may have to drop the rear section of the underbelly (coroplast) to gain access. But as noted in an earlier post, check from the floor register end first.

traveler44

We live near Kankakee Il. but we will be at the Il. rally at Chatham Il. near Springfield. I will look at your floor plan and see if I might be able to help you figure out a solution. Ours originally had one duct to the bedroom, one to the bathroom, one to the kitchen and two to the livingroom. The one to the bahtroom is smaller diameter than the others but because it is closer to the furnace it puts out more heat. I can't remember but it may be on a Y with the one that is open for supplying heat for the pipes in the belly. Tom