Generator/Surge Protector

Tanuki

I just bought a pair of Yamaha 2000 inverter generators. Great machines. I liked the fuel guage and fuel shut-off switch and a tad cheaper than Honda's. I got the Sidewinder cable so I can run them parallel. Have a pig-tail to convert from the 30 amp output cord to the 50 amp coach supply cord. To be on the safe side, I also plugged in my Surge Guard 50 amp prtable surge protector. Fire up and all is good. Until I turn on the A/C (15k btu). The fan comes on fine, but as soon as the compressor tries to start the Surge Guard kicks the whole coach off line. I unplugged and by-passed the Surge Guard and everything is fine. Once the A/C was going, I even switched Yamahas to "Economy" mode (lower RPMs) and all was good.

But, I'm a bit paranoid about not using the Surge Guard. The Yamahas are supposed to be great for putting out clean energy. What say ya'll?:confused:

John Gilstrap
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax Classic
2012 Big Country 2950RK

sjs731

I am using the Yamahas as well. One thing I noticed is sometimes the AC overloads the generators only the first time it comes on like right after we set up. Not sure why. Maybe the compressor is hard to start the first time. There is talk on some threads about capacitors to help the AC compressor start. I have read good and bad about them.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evolvingpowercat

I have 30 amp on my Heartland Edge and have a hard wired Surge Guard Model 34560 and i have been able to run the camper from my Yamaha EF2400iSHC and start the 13.5K Dometic AC without the low voltage shut off kicking in . I try to make sure everything else is off when AC is starting up, once AC is up can add other loads in the camper. I would not use the portable Surge Guard with a Generator it is not really needed and its low voltage kick off for 100 seconds can be a pain if it activates while the AC is trying to start.

Tanuki

Hmmm. No, it's not overloading the generators. It's the portable Surge Guard that I plugged in between the generators and the coach that trips when the compressor tries to start. If I take the Surge Guard out of the loop, then the compressor starts fine and the generators barely lug for a moment. Then I can even put the generators in Econ mode and they are fine. I'm new at this. The Surge Guard makes me feel protected, but do I need it when running inverter/generators? If so, then the twin generators are pretty useless because I can't run the A/C. Would only need one to run other stuff, like TV or Microwave and converter/charger.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Tanuki... You won't need your surge protector when using your generators. I run 2 hondas to run the A/C and my EMS (progressive industries) allows (forces) me to bypass the unit when running the gennies. I would certainly use it at all other times.

brianharrison

You are fine running the new generators without the surge protector - new yamahas (your models) do provide good power out of the box. As a check you could take them to a warranty approved yamaha shop and have them load test each individually and paralleled. This would confirm they are putting out the rated voltage/amperage under load. I am aware of a set of new Kippers that had one with an internal connector loose so was not putting out the rated combined loads. The 15K AC can suck a pretty big load on startup (up to 23-25 amps from my recollection) and knock back to a lower value after inrush. Some have added a start capacitor within the AC starting circuit (mod is on this forum somewhere, with link to external DIY). Yamahas do have a reasonable "extra capacity" for starting loads; honda do have a bit more "extra capacity" than yamaha (my thoughts).

The Surge protector is more than likely going into fault from low voltage due to 15K draw. It is more important while connected to shore power - there is a greater danger to coach where inadequate/suspect shore power could over voltage, open ground, open neutral, etc.