RV shed height?

wildwolfproducts

Will be having a new Rv shed built. And wondering about the height? I keep seeing some of these buildings that are 12ft on the sides for sale 5th wheel and Motor Homes. But I know the company shows our Key Largo is 13ft 3" so that tells me something is wrong with that building to start off with.
I was thinking about 16ft high and 14ft tall door. But running into issues on 6x6 poles long enough to use. As would want 20 ft poles to give enough to put into the ground, plus some to stick above the top to level off the top of the post.

Anyone know off hand how tall there building is?

Plans are to build a pole barn next to my metal building and turn the other one into a shop. Being its only 30 ft long and the camper is 40ft. Was thinking about adding on to it. But can build a new Pole barn cheaper then adding on it.

dewwood

Vehicles travelling the nations' highways need to be no more than 13'6" so a door with and opening at least that high would do the job. Remember that it takes about a foot taller building to have enough room for an overhead door to operate. I put a 14' door in my barn and it works great.

aatauses

We have a BH 3670 with center point suspension. It measures 12" 8". I would measure yours, probably from top of air conditioner to ground and then you will know your exact height. I agree with dewwood, if you use a roll up door you will need at least a foot for the door to roll. Another option would be a sliding " barn type door"
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

scottyb

I have rough draft for one that I hope to build in the next year. It is going to have 14' eaves with a 3:12 pitch and 24' wide. Mine will be clear span opening but would accommodate a 14' door if I choose to fully enclose it.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Not sure why you are having issues finding 6x6x20 for a 16' eve pole barn. My buddy just had a 60x40x16 pole barn built. It has 3 14' roll up doors. The barn is wind rated for 120mph winds.

I plan on having a 60x50x16 pole barn built as well. The end will be for storing the RV.

If you plan on using a standard garage door you need about 12" to 14" to allow for the doors tracks on the ceiling. Roll up door you will lose about 20" or so. But you could build a barn with a 14' eve if you use doors that slide open. As you lose about 2" of height with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

truknutt

Committed Member
I have a garage with a 14 foot roll-up door & 16 foor ceiling.

Attachments

• docked.jpg
    docked.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 137
  • garagefloor1.jpg
    garagefloor1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 118
  • garagefloor2.jpg
    garagefloor2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 102

wildwolfproducts

Not sure why you are having issues finding 6x6x20 for a 16' eve pole barn. My buddy just had a 60x40x16 pole barn built. It has 3 14' roll up doors. The barn is wind rated for 120mph winds.

I plan on having a 60x50x16 pole barn built as well. The end will be for storing the RV.

If you plan on using a standard garage door you need about 12" to 14" to allow for the doors tracks on the ceiling. Roll up door you will lose about 20" or so. But you could build a barn with a 14' eve if you use doors that slide open. As you lose about 2" of height with them.

My issue is everyone is out of them. Plus not looking to restock them right now. But will be able to get them just going to have to drive 2.5 hours one way to get them. When you live in the country, stuff like this can be hard to find. But found a place yesterday that has them in Memphis Tn. There is a few that has some 20 ft but they are crooked and not worth putting up.
Everyone around us stock 18ft but not many stock the 20's.
We have had lots of Amish move in the last few years. And they do a great job of building anything like this. Plus work for $10. per hour and work hard. So getting 2 of them to put it up.
Pete

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You can do the job with 18' and have just as strong pole barn. Thing is, you don't need to leave a little extra on top to level it later after the poles are set by trimming the tops. You only need to allow for the portion consumed by the framing.

Below comment, if I am preaching to the choir, just ignore it.
Basically you need 6" up top. If you know you need to bury 18" of the pole it's an easy step to get it right when setting each pole. So you doont have to trim the tops to level. Just need to pull a string on each side from corner to corner. String set to the height of the future floor. Dig the holes to 18" (maybe 17.5 to account for settling) using the string as reference. Mark each pole 18" up. Drop the lite 6x6x20 (or 18 if you go that route).

Last thing you want is warped boards. I would just make the drive out to some place that has enough that you can pick through. Good luck and post pictures of the progress. What size are you building?