truck bed sides taller

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just for all you folks as a word of caution herd that the 08 chevy had taller bed sides. Went out to our new car lot and measured a classic 07 and a 08. Yep this is correct. The 08 is 1 1/2" taller so make sure you watch your clearances. No smashed bed sides!!:( :eek: :mad:

Barry & Alana

taller gm trucks

We pick our new 08 up tomorrow. They changed the tire size on the 08 models. Now its a 17 versus our previous truck had 16 in them. We could not understand why they were smaller anyways since most people tow withnthese trucks. That will explain why the truck is a tad bit taller. We won't be putting rails on this truck just for that reason.:)

Pulltab

You do understand the the rim difference does not change the height of the tire right? It only changes the height of the side way and even if it did change the tire height you would only see a 1/2" change.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Barry&Alana,and Pulltab, just to make this clear, the bed sides from the bottom of the bed inside to the top of the rails are 1 1/2 higher. Bob

Pulltab

Yeah I understand that Bob, thanks for the info. That is a real disadvantage for a lot of people. It is hard enough to get rail clearance and then to have them raise the wall......

Barry & Alana

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. The sides your referring to! We pick up our new truck tomorrow, so we will be able to see the changes. The new ones are 2" higher overall, but I'm anxious to see the changes. We are looking for a new hitch also for this truck since we left our otherone in the older truck. We like the look of rails, but we're not sure they will or won't work onthis truck. MAybe we're wrong...have to check it out.

Pulltab

5catfam said:
How much space should be between the top of the rail and the underside of camper?

4" I feel is an absolute minimum and 6" is desirable. Less is fine until you get the truck and rv on a dip or off camber hill.

jpmorgan37

5catfam;

I would definitely not go with less than 6 inches. This is what most hitch manufacturers recommend. Tight turns on off angles may bend you bed rails with less than six.

John

5catfam

Thanks for the info. I Have about 5.5 becasue I Have a set of Bed rails for a TracRac rack that I need for work. I am very much aware and try to avoid all big dips

lavadg

Our Cyclone hit our 2007 3500 Dodge side with 9 inches of clearance over uneven terrain and backing up at a tight angle.

jbeletti

lavadg,

What part of your Cyclone hit what part of your truck?

Twice, in tight angle situations on uneven terrain, I've had part of my TrailAir pin box take a gouge out of my Truxedo bed cover side rail. After the first time, I raised my Draw-tite hitch up a notch. that worked well.

The second time it happened, I had changed hitches to the Curt Q5. At it's highest setting, it sit lower than my Draw-tite did. Oops! :eek:

At the 2007 rally in Goshen, I had Recreational Specialties lower my pin box by one set of holes. Much better. :D

Jim

lavadg

Jim,
The cyclone electrical box on the back of the pin box where the wiring goes into hit the passenger’s side of the dodge bed.:( Basically the electrical box was damaged and the truck just has some paint missing and a little dent. Looks like I will have to replace the electrical box…think I will replace it with a plastic one this time (and move it up), that way the box won’t damage the truck as much…the next time it hits. The first hit on a new truck and camper really hurts!!!! This was our first trip with the cyclone…. everything went great (except backing-up)….the dodge truck in tow mode with the exhaust brake on is wonderful, I never needed to brake.

I can move my 5th wheel (Draw-tite / Reese signature series) up two more notches (1 or 2 more inches). This will make the cyclone uneven and put more weight on the back tires. I guess I really don’t have any other options unless I get a 5th wheel with an adjustable height control (electrical or hydraulic) and just change the trailer height when backing up on tight turns or have the pin box adjusted like you did.

:) The good news is I can get the bed sprayed with line-X (we were going to do this anyway) and never see the damage but I need to avoid this problem in the future. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated from anyone on the forum.

Thanks,
lavadg

jbeletti

lavadg,

I think moving that electrical box up is a great idea. Someone on this forum swapped his out to a plastic box and moved it up. It was a box made for trailer wiring and had 7 screw posts in it to make the connections easy.

Jim