Automated safety hitch system - thoughts?

jimtoo

The warranty on your unit will most likely be voided if you use the goose neck hitch.

Jim M

mikeandconnie

Pretty cool! It would give you room in the bed of your truck. I wonder if your truck hitch is rated for the tow weight 16000 +. Post more info if you find out more.

Rickhansen

I also would think that you would be "going backwards" in terms of safety, stability, and drive-ability. This is like going back to a bumper hitch, plus 6 feet.

Tombstonejim

I also would think that you would be "going backwards" in terms of safety, stability, and drive-ability. This is like going back to a bumper hitch, plus 6 feet.
I don't see it that way. It takes most of the weight of the trailer off of the truck and puts it on the dolly wheels which also have brakes so you gain another axel of brakes. Plus it tracks true and does not short cut the turns. Probably not worth the cost though.

ILH

I don't see it that way. It takes most of the weight of the trailer off of the truck and puts it on the dolly wheels which also have brakes so you gain another axel of brakes. Plus it tracks true and does not short cut the turns. Probably not worth the cost though.

Which of course begs the question.... what kind of cost is it?

lwmcguir

Used a couple of dolly's years ago on stock trailers to try to haul more weight. You cant back up and it is very dangerous if you develop any slack at all creating a whipping action similar to TT's without proper "hitching". I wouldn't use one of these for nothing. If you check these have been around the block a couple of times with no success at all. If you want a bumper pull then get a TT.

FiremanBill

If you look at how it is hooked up it is not a single point mount. There are 3 hard point mounts to the frame of the truck. In theory it is like a drop axle on a big cement hauler type rig. It is also a steering axle and has brakes so added braking power too.

It also comes in a 5th wheel configuration jimtoo.

I got a price quote fully loaded with the dual winches, batteries custom paint and all and it was right at $12k. Expensive but a lot cheaper than buying a new dually.

DW_Gray

I met the Automated Safety Hitch inventor, Joe Jamieson, last week and I'll tow with it today or tomorrow. I'm impressed not only with the quality of this hitch system, but also with all the safety improvements towards towing. I plan to write up a full article on this safety hitch for next Heartland Highlights issue. My first impression is the the value of this hitch is better than upgrading from a 250/2500 vehicle to a bigger one. But I'm still crunching the numbers.

Last edited:

ILH

How many feet does it add to the total length? In the videos it looks pretty long.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I saw one several years ago with a fifth wheel hitch. It looked really cool and the owner said he could back it with ease and now could carry more gear in his truck bed.

hcriddle

Can't wait to hear the report Dave. Even at the $12k price tag it is better than the price of the new truck and reducing the pin weight could free up enough to add an aux fuel tank. Your report ought to be a good one and I know will be well researched.